Ways the Bombcast Can Improve

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#151  Edited By NMC2008

I agree that spoiler talk should be allowed, why should they put things on hold or not speak on it because you have not gotten to game 80 in your backlog? I don't care about being spoiled to be honest, just talk about the stuff without tipping around it, that's annoying.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By Grillbar

section one:

is my favorite for reasons you have already stated.

section two:

is also really fun since it gives a more indepth look in to the specific game they are talking about looking at more then what they knew at the time of the QL but also sprouts discussions.

section three:

really depends on the news most of the time i really dont care unless they give some form of insight or opinions about a subject that they are talking about.

section four:

most of the time its fairly pointless there are a few gems here and there but notthing major. so i agree that it could be cut out if needed

section five:

could be really good or extremely bad depending of the question. there have been so many times where i feel like people are just writing in hoping they would read there mail just so they and other people could hear there name from the staffs lips.

but i understand why its there but to make it last longer they need to make it better and to do that they would have to sit down and weight each question before starting the bombcast. and i really cant see the point of that.

so really what i want more of is pointless talk about ryan buying a bed and vinny neglecting his family for a wii u and so on

its the nonsens that makes it fun and so different from all the other podcasts that i dont care about since they mostly sound like they rely on a script of what to go though and cut the chatter to get to the "important" stuff.

but mainly i like it as it is

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#153  Edited By Ben_H

Less video game talk, more discussion about dudes with white cars, dangerous bathroom products, and shady ways of hiding garbage from property management companies.

Edit: And maybe don't devote an entire hour to one game like this week. I actually ended up fast-forwarding though all the Mass Effect stuff because it gets so dull after about 10 minutes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Certain individual(s) would have to be removed before it could be improved.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#155  Edited By uhtaree

I wouldn't mind if the podcast was consistently 3-1/2 to 4 hours.

LangarN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#156  Edited By LangarN

Its the podcasts i enjoying the most right now so change nothing!

Behonkiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157  Edited By Behonkiss

They can improve pretty much everything at this point. The Bombcast used to be my favorite gaming podcast, but this year it's gone to shit.

Want to hear boring tangents about raising a baby? How about endless mouth fart noises and awkward pauses? How about giving a game five stars and yet only focusing on nitpicky issues for an hour? Face it. It's terrible now.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I like how "bloated" the what have we been playing section is.

New Releases exists so they can mention the games they may have not played yet.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#159  Edited By morrelloman

Not enough dumb random discussions prompted by user questions.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By The_Ruiner

I don't understand this "things run long" attitude. it'd a bunch of guys having a conversation. It tends to flow organically from topic to topic and quite frankly the longer the better cause I listen to it on my commute. A good podcast can last me two days of train rides.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#161  Edited By Superkenon

Everyone seems to have somethin' different they really love about the Bombcast. I'm the kind of person who just likes listening to them talk about random shit, so I'd love their tangents to just go on forever.

But, that'd come at the cost of segments other people prefer. The balance must be maintained...!

CrystaljDesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By CrystaljDesign

@Kraznor: I agree with pretty much everything. I think they should put Emails up front and What You've Been Playing towards the back end.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#163  Edited By TheHBK

They should start drinking during the podcast so they can recommend new beer or mixed drinks to try at the end.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Snail said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@Snail said:

Why would you want more "spoiler talk"? What a dick thing to say. You don't need to spoil a plot to make an interesting conversation about it. I don't think they're all that paranoid about this, they're just careful I guess.

Spoilercasts are fine though, because you know what you're getting into.

Why is that a dick thing to say? It's annoying when they try to discuss something and have to tip toe around it (and sometimes end up spoiling anyways). You can get much more in depth, with spoilers, as opposed to without them.

Because it ruins the story for people who have not played the game yet?

So don't listen to that episode then? Seems simple. You can't cater to or please everyone.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#165  Edited By Snail

@kishinfoulux said:

@Snail said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@Snail said:

Why would you want more "spoiler talk"? What a dick thing to say. You don't need to spoil a plot to make an interesting conversation about it. I don't think they're all that paranoid about this, they're just careful I guess.

Spoilercasts are fine though, because you know what you're getting into.

Why is that a dick thing to say? It's annoying when they try to discuss something and have to tip toe around it (and sometimes end up spoiling anyways). You can get much more in depth, with spoilers, as opposed to without them.

Because it ruins the story for people who have not played the game yet?

So don't listen to that episode then? Seems simple. You can't cater to or please everyone.

So if I hadn't played a game they were discussing said week, I shouldn't be able to listen to that podcast, and that would be my fault?

People shouldn't be deprived of their weekly content simply because they haven't played through the plot of a game they care about yet. That's a shitty logic. Sometimes people downright don't have time to play through a whole game - especially the lengthy ones where the plot tends to have more thought put into it.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#166  Edited By pr1mus

More pizza talk.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By ltsmash

Throw out the Bombcast rule book! Anything goes!

Also, smooth jazz intro music.

stewmody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By stewmody

Seems like to me that lately it has become the Patrick Bomcast. Can he just shut the f*ck up and let someone else talk? Totally overshadows the core group.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stewmody said:

Seems like to me that lately it has become the Patrick Bomcast. Can he just shut the f*ck up and let someone else talk? Totally overshadows the core group.

Yes please, I can't even fucking enjoy the thing anymore.

Ryan: "So Jeff what games have you been playing?"

Patrick: "WELL RYAN I HAVE BEEN PLAYING ZOMBIE U...."

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Animasta

@Bucketdeth said:

@stewmody said:

so that's an exact quote I can go back and hear, then? he chimes in when he played a game someone else mentions, I don't recall him ever interrupting like that.

or you could just be making up excuses to bash Patrick; he had been gone for 2 bombcasts and thus had quite a bit of stuff to talk about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@stewmody said:

so that's an exact quote I can go back and hear, then? he chimes in when he played a game someone else mentions, I don't recall him ever interrupting like that.

or you could just be making up excuses to bash Patrick; he had been gone for 2 bombcasts and thus had quite a bit of stuff to talk about.

Exact quote, I promise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9473c7960
deactivated-5d9e9473c7960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@stewmody said:

Wow what a way to assume someone is a liar.

Starks94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Starks94

Considering the bombcast is only once a week I don't mind the length so much since there are other daily podcasts I listen to during my NYC commutes and lunch breaks. Still if there was just a way to pin point what games are being discussed at specific time markings, it would help. There are just some games I really could care less about and end up skipping far ahead and missing out on other games discussed.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#174  Edited By myke_tuna

I agree that New Releases should be cut. I don't think it serves anything and like you said, the crew talks about the most important shit hitting that week in the beginning anyway. News is pretty good and I do love to hear their takes on current gaming industry events, but some weeks nothing really happens. That said, emails should definitely be a little longer. However, I'm sure Ryan gets a lot of the same questions by now.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By fetchfox

Some of these are certainly good tips, but I'm afraid it would break the podcast "flow" of theirs if they tried to change. Perhaps they should adopt some of the style of the Tested podcast, taking all the off-topic chatter after the official podcast bit.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Jared

I like it mostly the way it is. I think a rule about spoilers needs to be implemented though. If a game has been out for a year or more then it should be fair game to talk spoilers and more detailed information about the game. Also, like others said I agree that some game specific spoiler filled podcasts would be great.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Seesic

I enjoy it the way it is, it's how I found the site and I enjoy listening every week. My only complaint was Patrick saying not to spoil anything and then spoiling it, but he's gotten better and spoilers happen, I wouldn't want them watching themselves too much. I enjoy how long it is and off topic stuff can be great.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Animasta

@Mr_Misery said:

@Animasta said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@stewmody said:

half the time I see him post he is railing on Patrick.

Also that quote is not true, Ryan asks Jeff, Jeff thinks about it, mentions he played ZombiU, then Patrick remembers that he never actually talked about it on the bombcast and chimes in as, you know, the guy who reviewed it (and he totally lets Jeff talk about it anyway so I don't get the problem)

NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By NakAttack

The only way the bombcast can improve is if this is its new opening theme

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By mtcantor

I love the bombcast. They just need to take some more breaks, from time to time. They can get really burned out by the end of the podcast. I hate to see emails get short shrift.

Ghostin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#181  Edited By Ghostin

They should do reviews in song form.

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#182  Edited By FightMeNerd

@Kraznor: I want more new releases because I sometimes have trouble of what games sneak out some times.

Over all I expected to rage at your opinions but they aren't that bad. Also you have best pony as an icon so that's a plus.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By joshthebear

Get 3 clones of Vinny and have it become the Vinnycast.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Ravenlight

@joshthebear said:

Get 3 clones of Vinny and have it become the Vinnycast.

Double them in size and call it the Giant Vinnyscast.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By LiquidPrince

I really can't complain because it comes down to what the specific topic of the week was. For example last weeks hour long Mass Effect discussion was a huge plus for me because I finally got to hear in depth discussion of what they thought, and disagree with some of it, which helps form your own opinions as well. However when they end up talking about something I don't care about, it becomes more boring. But that's on me and not them.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#186  Edited By gla55jAw

Introductions and What have you been playing are great and the perfect amount. Too much News and New Releases. Not enough user questions.

TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By TorMasturba

@Nightriff said:

Agree but I still love it, the long ones like last week are super draining considering they spent 2 hours on 2 games, that wasn't needed.

For me, I found that fascinating, especially with all the alternate opinions that were flying about on Mass Effect 3, and especially since it's been long enough that the dust in the air floating around ME 3 has mostly settled, it was interesting to go back now that our attention is on other games and current affairs.

@Kraznor: I agree with your views on New releases and the e-mails segments, but I wouldn't change the rest of the podcast for the world.

Maybe the guys should just make a weekly video where they're all sitting at their desks working and answering like 10-15 e-mails at the same time. I'm surprised at how much I like this idea and I don't mind saying that I wouldn't have a problem with this being a Subscriber only feature too. I wonder if the guys check these out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Animasta said:

@Mr_Misery said:

@Animasta said:

@Bucketdeth said:

@stewmody said:

half the time I see him post he is railing on Patrick.

Also that quote is not true, Ryan asks Jeff, Jeff thinks about it, mentions he played ZombiU, then Patrick remembers that he never actually talked about it on the bombcast and chimes in as, you know, the guy who reviewed it (and he totally lets Jeff talk about it anyway so I don't get the problem)

Look, I just feel like Patrick is the loudest and has the most to say about every god damn thing ever brought up on the podcast. Maybe I just don't like change, or maybe Patrick is as annoying as I think he is. It's getting to the point where it should be renamed the Giant Patrick Cast, NAH'M SAYIN.

norsedudetr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By norsedudetr

As someone who enjoys the doldrums podcasts the most, I’d like it if they stayed off topic for more of the time. I like hearing Vinny talk about ham radio, or Brad talking about the chinese food situation in his neighborhood, considerably more than whatever quibbles they have with the lastest COD game.

However, I think this might be a result of this console generation dragging on to the point that the crew is kind of worn out talking about it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#190  Edited By AndrewB

I'm gonna be honest: I almost wish you guys saying there should be more off-topic stuff should be given a new podcast instead of messing with how it is. There's just enough of it/ sometimes too much of it already. I actually listen to a gaming Podcast for talk about gaming, and the actual conversations about gaming are often fascinating even for games I'm not all that interested in.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By shaunk

I really like the podcast the way it is. I have liked it's same basic format since the very first podcast days and have liked it even with all the changes.

One change I would make is having more energy drink/food discussions.

Also lets start taking phone calls again like on The Hotspot, not awkward live phone calls like on the live shows but calls where the person leaves a message then the guys go through them and pick the best ones. Those were fucking great.

Psychohead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Psychohead

Podcast is fine. Patrick is great. Y'all trippin'.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By ViciousReiven

Completely agree with some points. 
Introductions still need to be made in case of guests and new listeners. (also we need more guests, pleeease put Alex on when he's not too busy!)
While a lot of whatcha been playin is covered elsewhere it's also for those who only listen to the Bombcast, so while it may seem redundant it serves a purpose. 
News I wholeheartedly agree with, it's short and rushed, not enough discussion of some big stories, this should probably get the most attention if they change anything. 
New Releases also for the audio only people, it's short enough that even though I think it's useless I don't mind it being there for those who need it. 
Emails! TOO SHORT, this is a community focused web site, fucking talk to your community more!   

Although this is pointless, we can all agree or disagree and argue about what's good and bad, but as far as they are concerned everything's A-OK, nothing's going to change, we play to their rules and that's how it's always going to be. 
To me things just seem to be getting marginally worse over time, less content, less interaction, just less, the great moments are still there of course but they're getting farther and farther apart.  
Oh well.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#194  Edited By Hizang
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#195  Edited By ThePickle

MORE EMAILS. There's nothing wrong with trimming a 14 hour Mass Effect conversation to about 30 minutes. I'm not talking about editing, I'm talking Ryan stepping after 30 minutes and saying, "ok so moving on". A lot of times those conversations drag severely and by the end they're not really saying anything. And to people who don't want the game spoiled for them or just aren't interested, it's a bummer because you end up skipping through a good chunk of the bombcast. I know we all love the natural feel of the bombcast, but sometimes these lengthy conversations can get out of hand and really effect the quality.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By wchigo

@Animasta:

I guess what it comes down to is that there are some people who feel they have to rag on Patrick no matter what, as that's what gets 'em through the day. Can't say I understand it at all as I feel Tricky's been a great addition to the team.

pleasedaddyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By pleasedaddyno

unfortunately, Patrick has a weird stutter, where when he is interrupted, he will repeat the word he was stopped at several times, with increased volume at each word, until the others let him finish out the sentence(s). i've noticed he also does this as he, in turn, interrupts someone else. this, when it happens in his higher-than-the-rest-of-crew pitch, takes some people out of it. it's akin to someone at the door ringing the bell--but ringing multiple times when once would suffice. personally, this doesn't bother me, as i grew up around shouting and whatnot.

maybe Ryan could mediate some more, to facilitate better flow? right now, all i can think of is the ol' put-your-hand-up-and-wait-for-the-go-ahead: enact the "throw your hands in da air, and wave 'em like [China] just don't care [then Ryan Davis will grant permission to speak" rule.

actually, current Giant Bomb content format shoulders some of the blame, too, because--and, Jeff mentioned this before, i think--as it stands right now, Quick Looks and written review articles serve a similar purpose, with the podcast overlapping some. these need to be clearly separate entities. or become one. or something entirely different. journo Patrick writes a lot of the articles, and, to his detriment, tends to treat Quick Looks and podcasts as verbal form of review articles with his by-line, rather than riffing with the others and letting magic happen. this, i reckon, is where he loses points with some people, the "Patrick haters." he will get better about all this, im sure, with age and experience. the others have years on him, after all.

jonano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By jonano

Well I have to agree the "what you been playing" segment is too long .The Best and most entertaining parts of the Bombcast is always the start and the near the end it usually drags in the middle a bit. What I would love to see is a change in the format of the show. I've been listening to the same four segment for 4 years now and although I still do love it alot it's getting a bit stale .I would like to see some changes to mix it up a bit and keep it fresh .Btw I was so ready to tell you to fuck off! but you made a very good point, kudos to you my friend lol

Oh I just wanted to say that I think the reason the "What you been playing "segment is so long is simply the fact that we want longer Bombcasts and Ryan doesn't cut anything or he cuts very little out so they can drag a bit . I would love to have longer news section and email section they have skimmed over so many news stories that I really found interesting and say nothing about it .

stewmody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By stewmody

@pleasedaddyno: Not trying to beat the poor kid up. I know he's got feelings just like anyone else, but I feel like the bombcast has taken a turn for hum-drum boring-cast lately, and Patricks diarrhea-of-the-mouth has a lot to do with it. I used to love the shoot the sh*t kind of style where anything was fair game, but now it's somewhat dare I say, robotic.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#200  Edited By hermes

Needs to have some timestamp on the description for the different sections. If there are people that want to avoid certain sections for fear of spoilers or similar, there should be a way for them to skip them.