whats a 660 graph card?

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MikeydCT

When the guys started to talk about building PC in this weeks cast I started to take notes since I want a gaming pc, they started to talk about what graph card Ryan should get and Jeff said 660, whats that?

If you are wondering only know 2 things that I want in the PC, 8GB of ram (play games and maybe cast/record it?) and huge ass HD (1TB). Dont want to spend more than $1k, extra cash going to monitor.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

WWW.ALIENWARE.COM was made just for you.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Christoffer

They mean a Nvidia GTX 660 card. Latest lines of cards, I guess, and the 660 is the middle range, I guess.

Edit: Latest lines of Nvidia cards I should say

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

It's an NVIDIA GPU, a graphics processor. It's part of Nvidia' latest range of cards and I'd say it's on the higher end of mid range.

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that a GPU is a part on the card, not the card itself. There's also the amount of video memory on the card, the cooling, and the size that you might want to be concerned about, but the GPU is far and away the most important part of a graphics card./EDIT

Also, it sounds like you need to spend a bit more time researching computers before building one. You don't need a vast and deep understanding of them but you definitely need to know more than "I want 8GB of RAM" (fairly standard, by the way) "and a 1TB HDD" (also fairly standard for a gaming PC).

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By rachelepithet

Nvidia's line goes something like 660 for $250-300, 660 "Ti" edition for for $300-350, 670 for $350-400, and 680 for about $450. There's also a 690 I believe, a two-in-one card equivalent to having linked "SLI" two 680 cards in your PC. And it costs as much as two 680's.

ATI compares with 7950, 7970, 7980?, and 7990 right now.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By PillClinton

@boocreepyfootdoctor: Yes, thank you. Finally someone's made the distinction between 660 and 660 Ti, which is an important distinction to make. Two totally different cards at different price/performance ranks. Also, I believe there's now a GTX 650 for the real budget segment.

@Kidavenger said:

This is mean.

Also funny.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By rachelepithet

Well, I read reviews of what the 550 was compared to a 560ti, and the dropoff in performance is basically like you'd be better off with intel HD4,000 integrated graphics for playing WOW and farmville.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ghost_cat

I'm surprise you didn't try to Google this first.

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By doomed

You'll want reddit.com/r/buildapc if you're looking to build a computer. You just pick a price range and they have optimal builds for that price.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By fattony12000

Jesus.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Cramsy

@Kidavenger said:

The dude just wants to learn. No need to be such a dick.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By isomeri

@MikeydCT said:

If you are wondering only know 2 things that I want in the PC, 8GB of ram (play games and maybe cast/record it?) and huge ass HD (1TB). Dont want to spend more than $1k, extra cash going to monitor.

I'd recommend bumping your RAM up a bit. RAM is dirt cheap nowadays, I just payed 50 bucks for 8 more gigs of it. Also, a 1TB Hard-Drive is not so huge anymore. You can get fast 2TB drives for under 100 bucks. Building computers these days is relatively cheap, and I see no reason why you'd need to put more than 800-900 dollars into one.

OhHiMk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OhHiMk

I would go 12GB of RAM if you are serious about recording. Giving most recent releases a full 8GB with 4GB background would record more smoothly and won't effect your gaming experience.