With all the discussion of ham radios and all that stuff, I started to wonder whether there might be a place in the market for a ham radio sim. A very niche place for the hardcore flight/train sim crowd, most likely, but a place nonetheless. I don't the means or knowledge to actually make a game like this, but I've been thinking of some possibilities for fun.
Possible routes for a ham radio game:
- Some (or all) of the game wouldn't be online, but in an artificial environment like the networks in Uplink
- Also like Uplink, maybe some career or story elements to finance the purchase and upgrading of all kinds of equipment
- Alternatively, it could go the Train Sim route and just make every piece of equipment DLC (but that's dumb)
- Licenses! It could either go the flight sim route, where you actually need to learn all the shit in order to progress, or a system based on XP (allowing for some sort of free-to-play bonus nonsense!)
- Track-IR support, because why the hell not?
- DLC trucker CB frequencies and foreign language numbers stations
- Get your HOTAS on with a USB ham controller (something like the one shown below)
Just wanted to know what you all thought about the idea in general.