Podcast: "waiting for it to show up on iTunes."

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Hello! 

I'm writing this to serve as a semi-permenant resource for those of you who often say you're "waiting for the podcast to show up on iTunes." If you're one of those people, chances are you're DOING IT WRONG

After the podcast goes up, we update the RSS feed that points to our podcast immediately. Automatically, even! If you're subscribed to our podcast in iTunes, your computer hits our servers when you right-click on the podcast and select "update podcast" from the menu and IMMEDIATELY starts downloading the new installment. 

Do NOT go to the store page in the podcast directory, search for Giant Bombcast, and listen to it there. The feed on that page is current as of whenever Apple decided to look at our feed last, which isn't automatic and sometimes takes a day or more to update. Or, at least, don't do that if you're planning on staying up to date with what we're doing, because it's an awful way to do that. 

Troubleshooting: In some cases, your copy of our RSS feed might get cached by iTunes or your podcasting downloader of choice. Later versions of iTunes don't seem to have this problem, but if you "update podcast" and nothing new comes down (and you're sure that there's a new one out there that you don't have), you may need to quit the software and relaunch it. Failing that, maybe reboot? But I doubt that happens much anymore. Like I said, it hasn't happened to me in iTunes for at least a year. 

Thank you and good podcasting, GLHB, HAND, and all of that.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

Hello! 

I'm writing this to serve as a semi-permenant resource for those of you who often say you're "waiting for the podcast to show up on iTunes." If you're one of those people, chances are you're DOING IT WRONG

After the podcast goes up, we update the RSS feed that points to our podcast immediately. Automatically, even! If you're subscribed to our podcast in iTunes, your computer hits our servers when you right-click on the podcast and select "update podcast" from the menu and IMMEDIATELY starts downloading the new installment. 

Do NOT go to the store page in the podcast directory, search for Giant Bombcast, and listen to it there. The feed on that page is current as of whenever Apple decided to look at our feed last, which isn't automatic and sometimes takes a day or more to update. Or, at least, don't do that if you're planning on staying up to date with what we're doing, because it's an awful way to do that. 

Troubleshooting: In some cases, your copy of our RSS feed might get cached by iTunes or your podcasting downloader of choice. Later versions of iTunes don't seem to have this problem, but if you "update podcast" and nothing new comes down (and you're sure that there's a new one out there that you don't have), you may need to quit the software and relaunch it. Failing that, maybe reboot? But I doubt that happens much anymore. Like I said, it hasn't happened to me in iTunes for at least a year. 

Thank you and good podcasting, GLHB, HAND, and all of that.

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By smitty86

people actually say this? the sec i see it posted on the site i just refresh my podcast subscription and bam! how very odd

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

I never had problems.   

iTunes normally updates all my podcasts every other 15 minutes, so it gets downloaded automatically. 

Also the iTunes on my iPhone gets it at the same time too.  I tried it on the Train Stations when I waited for trains on Tuesday Evening.  >.>

shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shadyspace

Either stream it from the Bombcast page or direct download it and throw it on my mp3 player. iTunes is for jerks.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MisterMouse

GLHB

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Thanks for the update Jeff.  Your Ql on MoH was interesting.  I think it's sad that EA didn't make it the great game it shoudl've been.  Seems like they left it out to die. :/

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By rjaylee

What's HAND stand for? No current meme is coming to mind.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By buzz_clik
@heatDrive88 said:
"  What's HAND stand for? No current meme is coming to mind. "
CLICKETY CLICK.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

Here here!

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By FCKSNAP

DoubleTwist already had it before I got home, no problems here!

Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Alex_Murphy

Why would somebody complain about it not being on iTunes when they can just snag it from the site?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Alex_Murphy said:
" Why would somebody complain about it not being on iTunes when they can just snag it from the site? "
That's awfully inefficient if you're used to it being directly downloaded on your iPod through iTunes.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By artofwar420

Yep, I pushed update and it's downloading now. Also, there's a chance that some people are weird.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baillie
@Jeff: Good going. This was supposed to be a members only perk! 
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dany
@TroyMcClure: just right click download?
megaplushie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By megaplushie

Hey, I'm waiting for the new Bombcast to appear in iTunes. :P

Oh wait, I don't even use iTunes anymore. *glares at his Android phone*

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By adoggz

gg wp

go tested

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deanoxd

i have already listen to 1 1/2 of the bombcast on itunes  
shadyspace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shadyspace
@TroyMcClure: Right-click "download mp3". Click "save link as".
jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jeff
@TroyMcClure said:
" @Dany:  That also doesn't seem to work.  It just seems strange to me that the "Download MP3" button only links to a stream in Firefox.  I don't know.  "
That has to do with how your browser is configured. You should be able to right-click on the file and download it, but setting up MP3 files to download instead of play from the browser should be a setting in there somewhere. 

Alternately, get a plug-in that I believe is called Download Helper. It's primarily there for downloading YouTube videos, but if you hit it on that MP3 player page, it should see the MP3 file and let you grab it that way.
troymcclure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By troymcclure

Ha! Well, thanks for the help all, much appreciated.  I'm surprised I couldn't figure that out on my own, but I was able to figure that part out in multiple ways due to your suggestions.  It must be a Firefox setting since I was able to click the button before and have the download manager come up.  It might have something to do with only recently getting Windows 7.  Thanks again.

Avatar image for technicallyproficient
TechnicallyProficient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think there's an easy workaround for getting it straight on the iPhone, though. Can't subscribe to a podcast via the mobile iTunes so I usually end up waiting for it to show in the store so I can download it straight up.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By tebbit

iTunes is for chumps, listening to podcasts on the crappy PSP RSS reader is where it's at!

Avatar image for technicallyproficient
TechnicallyProficient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tebbit said:
" iTunes is for chumps, listening to podcasts on the crappy PSP RSS reader is where it's at! "
I was totally guilty of that back in the days of listening to The HotSpot and using a PSP. Eventually the feed list just got way too long.
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Malakhii
@TroyMcClure: Right click the download MP3 link and click save link as, then save it. 
Avatar image for the_purgatory_station
the_purgatory_station

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LIMA CHARLIE (thx jeff another 1 to add to my joke bag:)) 
GLHB 

not familiar w/ your HAND 

edit: subscribed long time ago. just polluting your blog
beanj007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By beanj007

It updates immediately in the iTunes app, I think people may be saying that it doesn't show up on iTunes from their iPhone directly.  (Open iPod > Podcasts > Bombcast and select "Get more episodes", or opening the iTunes on the phone itself, and searching for Bombcast.)  This seems to not update for sometimes 24 hours after it's available on iTunes on the desktop.  Doubt that's anything on your end, prolly an Apple caching/polling thing, but, just FYI that is happening for those of us forgetting to plug our iPhones into our PCs on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#28  Edited By gla55jAw

Thanks Jeff! I had no idea I could do that. I would always just download it and it would wind up under Giant Bomb as an artist and not in my podcast section. Thanks again.

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By shodan2020

Itunes works fine for me. It always seems to update at around 8pm on Tuesday, so I can always count on listening to it on Wednesday.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Who would even do that?

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Enigma777

It's just one more reason why iTunes sucks. I often dream of the day when my iPhone can finally be liberated from that POS.... A day that will, sadly, never come.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Jayross

It took about 20 hours for this weeks podcast to appear on iTunes. No idea why, as a lot of other podcasts have near instantaneous updates. This seems like something you guys could work out with Apple.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#33  Edited By Davvyk

Podcaster on iPhone is my weapon of choice. Computerless wifi downloading of podcasts every morning. Grrrrreat!

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DeadDorf

How do I get it on my iPhone without connecting to a computer, though? Is there a way to manually update the iPhone version of iTunes like you describe?

Avatar image for puffy_scraggler
Puffy_Scraggler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Puffy_Scraggler

Been sitting here all day waiting for itunes to update it and then i tried what Jeff said and it works.
Damn those snails at the apple factory.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jayross

That's great, but there is no way to download it directly to my iPhone, which means I can't listen to it on the train if iTunes hasn't updated yet.

Also, can't Giantbomb just ask Apple to update their feeds more? The screened podcast goes up instantly... I'm just sayin'..

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ramone

I can update directly from my Walkman but today BTSD and the bombcast wouldn't download. I guess there's something wrong with the RSS.

jehrco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jehrco

Yeah I have had this problem in the past.  I can't always get to my PC to sync my iPhone and it doesn't always show up on the iTunes listing inside the iPhone.  I just end up waiting the extra day usually but it never takes more then sometime on Wednesday noonish.

DG991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DG991

my zune software automatically downloads it on time. fuck itunes. 

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fattony12000

I go to this website called giantbomb.com, I can usually find downloadable audio logs there.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

If I update in iTunes, it comes up right away, usually takes anywhere from 12-24 hours to show up in iTunes on my phone tho.  Not a huge deal, but Weekend Confirmed and The Shaft show up immediately on iTunes for me within 5 minutes of them posting their new episodes on their site.

I always wonder about this, but like I said, it's not a huge deal as long as iTunes on my PC is working properly (about 50/50)

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By monetarydread
@Krakn3Dfx said:

" If I update in iTunes, it comes up right away, usually takes anywhere from 12-24 hours to show up in iTunes on my phone tho.  Not a huge deal, but Weekend Confirmed and The Shaft show up immediately on iTunes for me within 5 minutes of them posting their new episodes on their site.  I always wonder about this, but like I said, it's not a huge deal as long as iTunes on my PC is working properly (about 50/50) "

I have the problem all the time. I almost never actually hook my ipod up to my computer and the last thing I do is use itunes to manage my podcasts. It is all downloaded straight from the iTunes section on my ipod. At least i am not the only one who notices how late it appears in relation to every other major podcast out there.
Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Kyle

The fact of the matter is that this actually needs to be said, and that TOTALLY ASTOUNDS ME. What kind of mouth-breathing retard uses the iTunes store to listen to podcasts rather than simply subscribing through iTunes? The answer? Way more people than you would have ever imagined, which defies all explainable logic.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By luce
@charlesdivin said:
" "
Hmm..I concur 
Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jayross

Oh man... I'm using the public wifi in the airport before by 6-hour flight to NYC....

But the final GotY podcast isn't in iTunes yet!

Woe...

KarmaPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By KarmaPolice

Thanks

Illyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Illyr

Anyone else having issues with downloading the newest episode on their Iphone through the Itunes store? The episode downloads to 100%, but the processing step trips a error. I thought it might be a problem with the newest episode, but even older episodes have the same issue. I do have drive space and other podcasts (Smodcast, etc) download just fine.   

BTW NDX downloads just fine. It seems to just be a problem with the bombcast.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By cooljammer00

I usually download podcasts through my IPod Touch but the ITunes store never updates properly, it seems.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By Enigma777

Instacast took 2 days to update the latest podcast and it uses the RSS feed directly... Happened last week as well. Did you guys change something recently?