Confirmed to be exclusive to Epic store.

• 50 results
Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Casepb

Surprise! Confirmed by Randy himself, 2K has made a deal with Epic to have a 6 month exclusive deal. Also the game is coming out in September of this year. I'm wondering how many people are going to wait the 6 months, or just don't care and will buy it day one from Epic.

"2K/Take Two has exclusive publishing rights for Borderlands 3 and makes all decisions regarding price-points, territories, distribution and platform partnerships. Please direct all inquiries regarding any of those topics to 2K. We are *just* the talent. 1/3"

"As a customer, I’m happy to shop in different stores - already do! I’ve bought games from Xbox, Playstation, Switch, Steam, Origin, GOG, Humble, Uplay, Epic and other stores. To me, exclusives are fine when they come w/ advantages and when they are short – say, six months :) 2/3"

"For what it’s worth, 2K’s decisions aside, myself and the team at Gearbox have a very keen interest in cross-platform play. We believe multi-platform support is a pre-requisite and Epic’s leadership with cross platform support is helpful to our interests there. 3/3"

Link - https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/1112833886113992706

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where was this confirmed? All this says is that 2K decides IF it's exclusive to epic.

I saw the news about the delete tweet, but even that seemed to just say it would launch on Epic, not necessarily be exclusive.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If that's the case I'll pick it up on ps4 and if I like the game enough I'll get it on pc later after any exclusivity deal is done.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game will run just as well purchased on Epic's store, so whatever.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Oh hey, another game I won't be buying!

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reap3r160: Sure, I guess I'm a bit early, but it's so obvious that Randy already confirmed it. Why else would he say "To me, exclusives are fine when they come w/ advantages and when they are short – say, six months :)".

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the other hand Why Would Randy Pitchford Say That? is one of lifes unanswerable questions.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a customer i'm happy to shop in different stores.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell said:

On the other hand Why Would Randy Pitchford Say That? is one of lifes unanswerable questions.

IT'S FUCKING MAGIC IS WHAT IT IS, DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND? Let me leave this on a USB stick for some lucky individual to find.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna be honest? Randy kind of turns me off Epic

(Mostly) Joking aside: I don't think this is a decider for me to bite the bullet and generate an online shopping CC number for Epic. But when I inevitably cave and buy Satisfactory and Hades I'll probably grab this (unless it reviews REALLY poorly)

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these stupid ass Epic deals are saving my wallet, at least until they move elsewhere. I won't support this practice, even as stupid as it may sound to some to protest a launcher. It's not that they have a different launcher, I can be swayed to any good service, it's the exclusivity.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cmblasko

My response to "X is exclusive to Epic" continues to be "good, get paid."

cynicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't be buying. Maybe when it's more widely available, maybe not. An artificial exclusivity doesn't benefit me in any way, it just restricts what storefronts I can use. I was interested after the trailer, but less interested now.

ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can anyone direct me to a well-organized post or article on why everyone is so mad about Epic Store exclusives? Are there reasons beyond 1. People annoyed by exclusives or 2. The Epic Store is still young and missing a lot of features? Like, is all he anger primarily focused on people being angry they have to shop at a different store, or are there other concerns I'm not privy to?

I'm honestly wondering, it's hard to sift through the absolute mountain of people complaining about games on the Epic Store, so many people are unreasonable about their expectations. But idk, I bought Hades on there and when I go to play Hades, it works, so for me there's been no problems.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By darkjohnny47

All you PC ELITE are funny. This would be the same as Call of duty maps coming to PS4 first or The Division DLC coming to Xbox first OR just a good ole console exclusive. The Epic store, Steam, origin, GOG, Itch.io , it’s just a storefront. Who cares about having to install another client. It’s still on your master race PC. You act like it’s a crime that companies do business.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninnyjams: well, it's 1 but it's not just "annoyed", it's seeing a shitty artificial exclusivity introduced to our platform that, if supported, could spiral out of control. For me, if it was a game I absolutely had to have I'd make an exception but those are rare these days and I have enough games to play anyways. I'll sit the Epic exclusives out til later.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ostensibly, I shouldn't have a problem seeing as I got The Division 2 from Uplay. I assume people think storefronts should compete via features, not exclusives. I get that but can't be arsed to care too much about it. Exclusives have and will always be a thing.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: To me a publisher led decision on a launcher is quite different than just cheaply buying exclusivity. A game that was Kickstarted as a Steam game was just bought as a Epic exclusive and now the backers won't get a Steam key for a year.

I get if some don't care about that, but I do and will put my money where my mouth is. Same way I refused to pre-order when they were using shitty "Project 5 Dollar" type tactics when those were the rage. Even if I'm still mad about my Mass Effect 3 experience due to that. Fuck EA for that though.

Certain things I don't like and I have enough games without shitty practices behind them to play as is.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gundato

@ninnyjams: Can't think of a great article, but you basically hit probably 40% of the nail on the head.

• Exclusives are inherently shit. I don't entirely agree with that, but I also can't disagree
  • Epic store is objectively missing features like cloud saves
  • Epic intentionally has a lot less community shit. And a lot of people want that
  • People really like Steam. Apparently the MS and Sony fanboys mostly stopped caring and the Valve fanboys decided to finish the fight

But we've seen this before. Origin and even uPlay and GoG Galaxy never got this much hell. And that included EA and Ubi who have always been some of the most hated entities in gaming.

I think the biggest issue that has turned this into such a cluster is that pretty much everyone is open about this being a ridiculously good deal for devs as it gives them direct marketing to the Fortnite crowd who may have never even installed Steam before. For devs that is great. For Real Gamers that is horrible because it means everything is targeting kids who vape and dye their hair and whatever stupid shit. If you think of this as closer to "Oh no, mobile games are going to ruin gaming" it makes a lot more sense.

And then you have the periphery that are turning this into a fairly racist conspiracy theory on how this is all about Tencent trying to steal our information and give it to China (like they don't already have it). Which tends to crank up the vitriol even farther.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MezZa

@darkjohnny477: Not really. Equating a few DLC maps to an entire game is ridiculous.

Wanting more options as to which platform you can make purchases on and put your payment information through is so needy obviously. It's like we care about what we shove onto our pc and where our information goes. But, yeah, it's more fun to just say pc elite master race over and over again so let's mock people who want to be responsible consumers with their own agency to make decisions while playing the game franchises they care about.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@mezza said:

@darkjohnny477: Not really. Equating a few DLC maps to an entire game is ridiculous.

Wanting more options as to which platform you can make purchases on and put your payment information through is so needy obviously. It's like we care about what we shove onto our pc and where our information goes. But, yeah, it's more fun to just say pc elite master race over and over again so let's mock people who want to be responsible consumers with their own agency to make decisions while playing the game franchises they care about.

you didnt read what i said correctly but ok. (i also said it was the same as a console exclusive) , which is the same as this situation. There were times when i only had a PS4 and a game would come out on the Xbox that was exclusive and i had to wait, because thats how it works. Demandng "agency" is silly, the companies put games out where they want and dont care about the consumer wanting to have shopping options. What they care about is the money that Epic is giving them for exclusivity.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Didn't finish 2, never played Pre-Sequel, and I barely touched the DLC in the first game despite playing all three versions of it.*

*The original PS3, 360 and PC version. I'm not counting the remastered version which is technically not out yet as of this post, or the Mac version of the original because in regards to gaming on a Mac, who fucking cares?

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zero surprise there. Gearbox has had some pretty hefty failures in the past few years, so I have no doubt that they're going to milk Borderlands 3 for all they can. If they can have two launches, then of course they're going to sign an exclusivity deal for a time. I'm also waiting to see how they try to spin lootboxes, because they are definitely coming one way or another.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

With the remaster of 1 coming out and me still having lots of other stuff to play I can wait. I won't reward this behavior.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't care what storefront or launcher game publishers choose to use. I've got them all on my PC, and they're all the same to me. The competition is good. The Steam monopoly people seem to want is bad.

If I remember correctly people hated Steam when it came out. This is just history repeating itself.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: Nobody wants a Steam monopoly though. We just want the games to be on all stores. Exclusives on a launcher is total BS.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By soulcake

Best thing about this was it being announced at the first of april and people going "this is a joke right?"

And yeah the epic store is still bad they got hacked 3 times in the few years the store has being on if remember correctly. And i had to change my password several times cause some Russian kept playing fortnite on my Account.... this never happened on my GOG UPLAY STEAM or ORIGIN account.

ThisIsACoolTag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

And yeah the epic store is still bad they got hacked 3 times in the few years the store has being on if remember correctly. And i had to change my password several times cause some Russian kept playing fortnite on my Account.... this never happened on my GOG UPLAY STEAM or ORIGIN account.

I just enabled 2FA on my Epic account, so thanks for the reminder to see if it was possible. I already had it enabled for all of the others you mentioned.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: Console exclusives are BS, but I don't see anyone wielding pitchforks about that. Like @darkjohnny477 said earlier: at least you can still buy it for PC. I can't play Horizon Zero Dawn, Marvel's Spider-Man, or any other PS4 exclusive at all unless I shell out for an entire console. Installing another launcher on hardware you've already got seems like a trivial ask compared to that if you ask me.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this splitting of hairs and hullabaloo over stores and launchers seems ultimately pointless to me. Uplay is still clunky, Origin is still missing features, but people nowadays largely don't seem to care as they passionately used to some years back. It will be the same with the Epic Store.

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't understand the hate over epic exclusivity. I'm personally getting fed up with Steam and the wild west of a marketplace it's become.

Devs get more money for putting their games on Epic, I can't fault them for that and if it means I can give the people who worked on the game for years more money, I'll gladly buy it on epic.

For me, this is purely just a matter of, "people need something gaming related to be mad about", it happens all the time and then people forget about it and move on. Ex: Mobile games and Digital downloads for consoles.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I couldn't give less of a shit about this. I already buy games on Steam, Origin, UPlay, and Battlenet to name a few, what's one more? If BL3 was available for all these launchers simultaneously I would somehow feel differently about this?

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Casepb

A bit off topic, but now it seems like the the $80 Deluxe Edition and the $100 Super Deluxe Edition are coming with XP and loot boosts. Starting to sound like a Ubisoft product.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: You have to love how talking about the game is actually off topic.

And to be fair, Borderlands were some of the pioneers for modern monetization models. LOTS of microtransactions for cosmetics and some of the pre-order editions included extra gold keys, if memory serves. And they were doing all this while Ubi was still streaming game logic and doing their version of project 10 dollars.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The most disappointing bit of PAX East was that I never saw Randy Pitchford, so I couldn't ask him to sign my USB drive.

Loyalty to a store front is really fucking weird.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So, this one especially sucks because most people have played previous Borderlands games with their steam friends. And now it becomes this thing of trying to get a bunch of people to go and download this other thing that they might not know about or want to use.

Specifically, I have two people I typically play BL games with. They barely play games outside of WoW and Overwatch, but they do have Steam. Getting them on Epic is gonna be an annoyance, and I don't like the exclusivity thing either.

For the Outer Worlds/single player games it isn't as big a deal, but this is just a nuisance. I like Steam's features and would rather play PC games there, but that choice is being taken away. Its a bummer, at least let GoG have it too or something since their launcher is optional. Some people are blowing it out of proportion though, it isn't the end of the world. First world problems etc.

IEEE_GB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This money will not be going to the devs most likely it will go to greedy executive publishers. All this will do is increase piracy for Borderlands 3

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Panfoot

The features that Steam has over Epic are honestly worth the half a year/year waits for a lot of their exclusives to me honestly. I just don't care about the gotta play it day one zeitgeist mindset anymore so that doesn't matter to me, and with that not being an issue I just really can't see any reason to go for the Epic store version over (eventually) the Steam version. Maybe Epic will get their/be better than Steam, even with it's significant faults, at some point, but they've got a long way to.

Well that plus the Metro: Exodus situation and now the Anno 1800 thing(which is the exact same thing, just with more of a notice than an afternoon) leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth about Epic.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very disappointed that I will have to move my mouse cursor 1 inch to the left and click on a different launcher

Keirgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Keirgo

Regardless of my personal feelings at this news, I am very disappointed to see all the review bombing going on for the previous games happening on Steam right now, though not the least bit surprising.

People need to grow up, and stop this kind of behavior.

Wishful thinking I guess...

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feelin some kinda way toward anyone who’d wait out the six months to use a different PC storefront.

Seeric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I'm legitimately not sure why people have a problem with timed store exclusives. Console exclusives are one thing since you may not own the console in question that gets a game first, but since it's all on PC in this case that's not an issue. There is also no reasonable way to expect a new digital storefront to compete with Steam's massive install-base without taking actions such as offering better deals to developers for temporary exclusivity. Desura sure couldn't compete, itch doesn't compete, and GOG somewhat sidesteps the issue by offering a significantly more curated and focused experience.

It's hard to get people to look at a new store when all their online friends and achievements and installed games (and trading cards) have all been clumped together in one place for years on end. It's not a matter of quality so much as it is a matter of momentum. Steam has the same sort of momentum WoW had (and still has to a degree) in that people have become so invested in it on so many different levels that it is very, very difficult to get them to even look at anything else, let alone interact with it.

Lastly, to be blunt, Valve needs some legitimate competition. They're currently coasting on the same sort of hubris Sony was back during the PS3's launch. They believe themselves to be untouchable and they believe the money will keep endlessly rolling in, so they put in virtually no effort. Their storefront is an uncurated apocalypse of asset flips, stolen games, things which are outright broken, and anime porn with only the faintest shadow of "gameplay" to make it qualify as a game (ex: memory match).

Even when problems are reported, they so rarely take action that they still haven't banned at least one developer who has had multiple commercial games taken off due to said games being stolen freeware. Valve has no reason to lift even a single finger so much as a centimeter if everyone complains about their lack of effort while still giving them money. However, just as they "coincidentally" decided to revamp their outdated messaging system after Discord became popular, a competitor who consistently and tangibly bites off a small portion of their profits may be the incentive they need to finally expend at least the bare minimum effort towards maintaining their store; it would be nice to no longer have the defunct YoYo Games Sandbox be the closest comparison to the Steam Store.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it? Seems about equally weird to me as any console loyalty.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45  Edited By BladeOfCreation

@casepb: Yeah, console loyalty is weird, too.

Preference is one thing, but that's not what I'm talking about here. It never ceases to amaze me how childish and entitled grown-ass adults will act when it comes to this sort if thing.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The whole anti-Epic store fervor is incredibly strange to me. I mean, sure, I'd prefer to have it on both stores, but really: who cares? You can still play the darn game.

@casepb said:
@bladeofcreation said:

Is it? Seems about equally weird to me as any console loyalty.

No, this kind of thing is WAY stranger! Console loyalty at least makes some kind of sense: if there's an Xbox exclusive, PlayStation players can't play it. This is not the case here, you can STILL PLAY THE GAME, you just have to launch it from a different app.

Console loyalty is already weird and stupid, but "PC Launcher Loyalty" is weird and stupid on a whole other level.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least there's a haves and have-nots situation with a lot of console loyalty. At best I understand general frustration at a storefront resorting to exclusives instead of offering a better service but at the end of the day...you still Have.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: I don't think it's all that crazy honestly. I get that you can still buy the game on PC, but Steam has been around for pretty much 15 years and it has grown into something massive, so I get the loyalty side as well. People have gotten use to features that Steam offers and also the friends they made on it. I think it would be less of a big deal if the game wasn't multiplayer. It would also be less strange if Epic actually made the game. That's why I have no problem with Battle.net and Origin. They actually own and developed their exclusives.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By mellotronrules

this will only matter to me if borderlands 3 turns out to be a compelling product. based on the material released thus far- i'm having a hard time seeing where all the dev time between 2 & 3 went. i know that's a shitty armchair-developer thing to say...but you could have told me the 3 trailers were DLC for 2 and i'd have believed you.

if it turns out to be a lackluster product (more of the same)- this was never going to be a $60 investment for me anyway, so i can wait for steam. or just replay borderlands 2.

if it's really great (and Epic has implemented cloud saves & improved controller support) then i'll have a decision to make. but honestly 6 months is not that long a time to wait, so *shrug*?

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jolly good. I say keep 'em coming, fuck steam.