All video progress (the red bars) gone

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tdous

Noticed this glancing at the Latest Videos page. The bars are a useful at-a-glance way to see where I'm up to in watching GB content. I've seen progress bars on the GOTY stuff and I thought I'd seen it yesterday on the latest Bombcast. But at least today, on every page and location on the site where videos are shown I no longer have any red progress bars at all.

Windows 10 Home latest
Tried in FF, Chrome

theeliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Happened me as well.

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. Also Win 10 and Chrome. Even tried Edge, still no red bar. This is a distressing development, especially if it has something to do with changing servers in the sale and cannot be reversed. I had quite a backlog of videos that I was making my way through, and the red completion bar is how I kept track.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By j_unit2008

I'm not sure if this is related or if I should start a new post but my entire "Continue Watching" list has been scrubbed as well.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hmm, it looks like it's still displaying for me on the homepage and latest?

No Caption Provided

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if this is related or if I should start a new post but my entire "Continue Watching" list has been scrubbed as well.

Same. I didn't notice that.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I watched a video since then which has retained my progress, so I guess it's not so much a display problem as a historical data problem.

derelict613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine also have all disappeared. I used it as my reminder as to what I had already watched in the backlog. Hopefully its not gone for good!

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just clicked on a recent video that I 100% watched to the end. Despite the red bar not showing up in the list of videos, it started 1 minute from the end. I clicked on another recent video that I watched full and it also started 1 minute from the end. This seems likely related to red bars vanishing for people like myself.

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: To clarify and give as many details as possible, the issue is that old red progress bars suddenly vanished--my watching history as reflected in those bars. Since this thread was started, I have watched some of the new videos from this week. The red bar shows up for those I have finished. However, the entire history, both for videos I have finished and was only partway through, is still gone. I went back and finished a video I had already watched and the red bar then appeared when looking at the videos page. However, when I went back and watched a video I knew I was only partway through (GOTY day 4), the video correctly picked up where I was at, but when I stopped watching and looked and the videos page again there was no red bar reflecting this video being in progress. So, a bug not acknowledging partial video progress could possibly be one component of this issue.

franzlska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By franzlska

Progress bars show for me (on Firefox and Brave (chrome-based)) on all videos whether I'm halfway through, or have already finished them (except Going Rogue, which I assume is done to avoid spoiling the run). When not logged in I don't see progress bars on any videos. As others have noted, videos pick up at the appropriate time regardless.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@tdous Seeing the exact same thing here.

@rorie If it helps at all, the earliest video I have that still has the red bar is Going Rogue Part 12.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Same thing here.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hey just so you all are aware, an engineer is poking around to see whether this information is recoverable or not. The problem that caused it I believe is fixed with new alerts to prevent it from happening again (a place where we store information filled up without adequate notification to the people who could fix it before the information was deleted). But an engineer is still looking into whether it can be recovered or not. Sorry, wish I had better news on this one.

derelict613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the update Rorie! Appreciate you guys looking into it. Certainly not a devastating bug or anything but unforunate if its not recoverable.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Ok, thanks for the update dude.

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I was going through old videos I 100% knew I had already watched and scrubbing through to the end to try and roughly approximate where my videos were at before this bug, and then it happened AGAIN! Is there a limit to how many videos can be tracked with the red progress bars?

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By HHAP

@paul_tillich I don't think it's a limit issue as it JUST happened to me again as well.

PD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

Just chiming in to say it happened again to me too. All watch history progress from before today is now lost. New progress is sticking. I don't mind the old progress not being able to be recovered, but it's just a bummer it keeps happening because i keep losing my progress within a video that i left half watched to continue watching the next day and have to try and find where i left off. Thanks for checking in on this rorie!

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Just lost mine

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Happened to me as well. I have progress on Astroneering with Brad and Vinny: Episode 12 [Vinny's View] and episode 395 of the HotSpot, everything else is gone.

Paul_Tillich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Paul_Tillich

I'm honestly thinking about cancelling my subscription if this is going to happen over and over again. I love this site, its people, and the content. I am just super busy and the watchlist feature sucks because it just dumps every video in a category into your list. There is no way to mark which videos you have not watched in the VERY broad categories they have tagged for watchlists. The red bars were the only way of reliably keeping track of what I had not watched, and I used them to catch up in my own time. This issue is not a minor one; IT REALLY FUCKING SUCKS.

illrepute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just visited GB for the first time today and all of my progress bars are missing, they were fine yesterday. My "continue watching" menu is also gone. Especially with long videos I'll often watch them over multiple days/sittings, and it was super handy for it to automatically keep track. Hope this can get sorted out.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

For some reason it hasn't happened to me again. I still have red bars on everything that I've watched since my last post in this thread 8 days ago.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Same here. Normally start on GB via a bookmark to the Continue Watching page (where I can remember last videos I finished watching & any stuff still in progress) but the page is all "Nothing to show just yet".

That page & my red bars was still working last time I was watching a video on at the site (the 5th), which seem to be after @rorie's message saying it was now fixed so not sure what's going on but this seems like now multiple reports that the fix may not have been as fixed as hoped.

Just visited GB for the first time today and all of my progress bars are missing, they were fine yesterday. My "continue watching" menu is also gone. Especially with long videos I'll often watch them over multiple days/sittings, and it was super handy for it to automatically keep track. Hope this can get sorted out.

heartofalion28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has happened to me a 2nd time as well.

tdous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again for me too, though about 2 days ago when people started reporting that above. Though I started this thread I'll just let others report further developments - my usage of the site is probably less reliant on this feature than some people's, who clearly depend on this quite a bit.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Mine's still gone too, it was a really nice feature and very helpful. It's not crippling for me but it really blows nonetheless.