#1 Posted by ShaunSharky (79 posts) -

Normally GB videos play fine for me, but today I'm getting really bad buffering. I checked my bandwidth speed and it's looking good, around 25Mbps. I'm not having an issue on any other streaming video sites, just GB. Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue.

#2 Posted by J4mm1nJ03 (2 posts) -

I'm trying to watch Blue Bombin' Megaman 3 right now and am also having a very hard time. My connection is fine, I am able to stream 4K Netflix right now without an issue.

#3 Posted by mems1224 (1625 posts) -

Yea, I've been getting that lately a lot too.

#4 Edited by Jibanyan (70 posts) -

Yeah, whether it's through the new player or the download page on the site, the buffering's gotten bad recently. Viewing any of their content on Youtube is generally fine, but that obviously can't be done for premium stuff.

The same goes for the streams. UPF a couple of days ago was hard to watch due to constant buffering.

#5 Posted by GhostHouse (146 posts) -

Same here for the past two weeks or so. Akamai at it again.

#6 Posted by ShaggE (8398 posts) -

Mine's not quite as bad, but it's definitely worse than it should be.

#7 Edited by aphal (30 posts) -
#8 Posted by diz (1245 posts) -

Me three. It's taken a turn for the worse over the past several weeks. Before then there was no problem with buffering at all. The "new" video player seems to have loads of niggles too. Surprising to me that it's been released as it has.

#9 Posted by Joey2683 (422 posts) -

Yes, I've had buffering issues with the new player. I never had issues with the old player. Typically watch videos on progressive HD. I'm on a 25Mb connection.

#10 Edited by Gamerintheknow (6 posts) -

Can confirm. Can't really watch any of the premium videos. Refreshing usually helps.

#11 Posted by isomeri (2773 posts) -

Same here. It usually helps if I close the browser (Chrome) entirely. I've also had some issues with videos not continuing where I left off.

#12 Posted by BeefyGrandmole (524 posts) -

Yeah I've been having bad buffering since the new player launched. Which is strange since the beta video player worked perfectly for me.

#13 Posted by ArtisanBreads (8086 posts) -

Yeah I've been having bad buffering since the new player launched. Which is strange since the beta video player worked perfectly for me.

Can confirm. Can't really watch any of the premium videos. Refreshing usually helps.

Same for me!

#14 Posted by SSully (5282 posts) -

Same here. I average 120Mbps down, so I am fairly confident it's not my internet connection. Didn't start happening for me until last weekend, so idk if it's the new video player because I've been using it since it opened up in Beta.

#15 Posted by Rorie (4128 posts) -

Have you guys tried switching the video quality up and down? Sometimes apparently switching it from Auto to HD or High seems to work for some people. @wcarle may have more suggestions here.

Staff
#16 Edited by Sicario (1 posts) -

Adding my name to the list. Premium content rarely works properly, regardless of the quality I choose. Temporarily giving up on it and just watching regular stuff on YouTube.

#17 Edited by Shananala8 (1 posts) -

I've spent the weekend with an odd regional problem. I can watch new content from the West Coast office with no problem, but mew East Coast content only plays for ~9 seconds, before the player stops working. So I was able to watch all of UPF with no problems, but I have no idea if That Was The Run, or if Alex triumphed over Dr. Wiley in the most recent Blue Bombin.

#18 Posted by rockhardalibi (110 posts) -

@sicario said:

Adding my name to the list. Premium content rarely works properly, regardless of the quality I choose. Temporarily giving up on it and just watching regular stuff on YouTube.

Giving up on the GB video player seems to be the only solution. At this point I wish I could keep giving them money and have them unlock the Premium stuff so I can actually watch it. This is a shame.

#19 Posted by KrypticKiller (207 posts) -

Also having issues. Only in Chrome, and only using the "HD" option. Other browsers don't seem to have a problem.

#20 Posted by Opuelas (46 posts) -

I'm having issues both in Chrome and Firefox, with all various options.

No problem at work with Chrome, but at home I'm really suffering each time I try and watch a video now.

#21 Posted by Opuelas (46 posts) -

So tested out some more stuff after seeing the sticky on the front of this forum:

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/got-a-bug-to-report-please-read-this-first-1771371/#1

Here's the skinny:

• Chrome, HTML5 / Progressive / Any Quality
    • Buffers repeatedly and endlessly
    • Will often load the video but then end up buffering for an indeterminate amount of time
    • Incognito mode seemed to work at first but then went back to the same thing
    • Turned off my Script Block plugin which also seemed to work at first, but the problem resumed shortly
  • Firefox, HTML5 / Progressive / Any Quality
    • Seemed to be better at first, but at a certain point I just stopped receiving data and the buffering problem arose
    • Private Window actually did work after a little bit, which is weird because I don't have any extensions / plugins installed for firefox

I have a utility that constantly monitors my down / up bandwidth and it's very obvious when the buffering issue takes place because my download rate hits 0 flat, with maybe a few kb of data sent periodically.

At this point, I'm going to call my ISP (Comcast, natch) and see if they are throttling / blocking the ports that are listed in the sticky topic.

#22 Posted by Odusei (12 posts) -
#23 Posted by Efesell (2363 posts) -

I can only watch videos with Chrome outside of full screen, otherwise its just constant pauses and buffering. If I wanna use full screen I have to switch to Edge.

#24 Posted by gtb08 (155 posts) -

Yeah, new player rollout has !Are premium videos either down load only or don't watch due to these buffering issues. Please fix

#25 Edited by aphal (30 posts) -

Using Opera here. No matter what video settings I use between HTML5, Progressive Low, High, HD, I get stuttering and giant spinning circle if the browser is not the currently active window. I have multiple monitors and watch most of my GB content while doing other things on the second monitor.

On Chrome I get stuttering regardless of which window is active. I'm on Windows 10.

Jeff recently responded to someone reporting the issue on his tumblr and was very dismissive. http://jeff.zone/post/156672936236/when-im-relying-on-youtube-uploads-because-your

It feels really shitty to be blamed for this buggy video player. I posted in the "New Video Player Released" thread with my issues almost two months ago and they are still occurring. I never asked for a new video player. I was happy with the old video player. I subscribed to Premium because I like the Premium content and the old video player was good, honestly. I never complained about it.

Now it's been replaced with a bad video player that stutters constantly, and so now I cannot watch premium content without downloading it because I can't fall back to the youtube player like I can with non-premium content.

I could almost understand Jeff's dismissiveness about the "majority of users" being OK with the new player if not for the fact that I'm paying for this content. I want to support the site, and this is bad customer service. I'm on a gaming PC with a web browser. I'm not running browser extensions. I'm not torrenting 50 gigs of anime. Youtube doesn't stutter.

#26 Posted by Zelyre (1741 posts) -

I gave up on Blue Bombing and This is the Run because they just won't stream. They'll play for a few minutes and then just stop, regardless of platform (iOS, Windows) or player (Video Buddy, Safari on iOS, Firefox/Safari on Windows) I had to download the Dead Rising video in order to watch it.

Tried watching the Super Mario 2 thing last night and it was a mess. It'd play for a minute and then stop, then play for another minute and stop. I figured I'd just download it and watch it that way. High quality took 3 hours to download when other videos of its size from GB, in the past would take about 20. Lots of moments where the download would come to 0kb/s, sit there for long periods of time, before slowly crawling back up.

#27 Posted by Syce300 (226 posts) -

I've also been having this problem in Chrome but only with HD videos from the New York office? I really don't want to knock it down to high quality for every Beast video/

#28 Posted by ArtisanBreads (8086 posts) -

@aphal said:

Jeff recently responded to someone reporting the issue on his tumblr and was very dismissive. http://jeff.zone/post/156672936236/when-im-relying-on-youtube-uploads-because-your

Saw that as well and thought it was pretty silly when I have constantly had buffering issues to total lock ups that require referesh with the new player.

#29 Edited by Tarqosis (10 posts) -

Same issue. Streaming works fine on any other site, and QL videos uploaded to YT run smooth. Would very much like a way to get around this, as it's making videos unwatchable (though the audio is fine).

#30 Posted by Efesell (2363 posts) -

@aphal said:

Saw that as well and thought it was pretty silly when I have constantly had buffering issues to total lock ups that require referesh with the new player.

I mean to be fair that message is 'Your shit sucks, fix it' from a tumblr anon. I'd be pretty dismissive too and i have loads of video problems.

#31 Posted by The_Nubster (3157 posts) -

@efesell said:
@artisanbreads said:
@aphal said:

I mean to be fair that message is 'Your shit sucks, fix it' from a tumblr anon. I'd be pretty dismissive too and i have loads of video problems.

no kidding. Do people not get context? That submission was incredibly rude and Jeff just pointed them in the right direction. Not like he can fix anything from his Tumblr anyway.

#32 Posted by aphal (30 posts) -

Yes, totally understand context over here. The response still makes it sound like Jeff does not care that people are having video issues. These issues have been happening and reported since the player went up 2 months ago. So when posting in the Bug Reporting forum doesn't help fix the issue, what are people supposed to do next?

I'd already been waiting for a solution to appear, and the very first time I saw anyone on staff besides wcarle and Rorie respond or mention the issue it was Jeff telling someone it's not his problem.

#33 Posted by Jibanyan (70 posts) -

This kind of goes beyond buffering, but UPF is on right now, and the stream straight up refuses to start up, even after closing the browser, refreshing several times, and trying different video qualities. That, along with the non-stream player buffering every couple of seconds, makes it really tough to watch any premium content right now.

#34 Posted by Efesell (2363 posts) -

@aphal: But what other response could you really want? He wasn't even hostile to the guy he just pointed out that this was not the place to be looking for a solution.

#35 Posted by aphal (30 posts) -

@efesell said:

@aphal: But what other response could you really want? He wasn't even hostile to the guy he just pointed out that this was not the place to be looking for a solution.

His first sentence was dismissive and unnecessary, his second sentence is a perfect response by itself. The two combined feel like a bad message. That's all. This really isn't a big deal. I like Jeff. You don't need to protect him from me.

#36 Edited by ArtisanBreads (8086 posts) -

@aphal said:
@efesell said:

His first sentence was dismissive and unnecessary, his second sentence is a perfect response by itself. The two combined feel like a bad message. That's all. This really isn't a big deal. I like Jeff. You don't need to protect him from me.

Yeah same. I just think clearly people are having some issues. The players is being worked on. It's cool.

#37 Posted by scallycap (10 posts) -

I've been having this issue since the new player rollout. I'll be moving and switching ISPs, so I'll report back if anything changes.

#38 Edited by Keichan (142 posts) -

Ever since the new video player rolled out, I've been unable to watch pretty much anything on it. It skips a few seconds at a time (quite frequently), it freezes until you tick it ahead 5 seconds or so, and sometimes it simply freezes and refuses to continue playing at all. It does it on both Chrome and Firefox, and despite my efforts to force it to continue, including adjusting quality options, doing a forced refresh with ctrl + F5, flushing my browser cache and logging back in, and restarting the browser.

Not to be "that guy," but this'll probably be my last month of premium until the issues get fixed. There's plenty of archive content available on youtube until then.

#39 Posted by StrikeALight (1202 posts) -

The player is bloody awful most of the time. Live streams are fine, but most premium stuff I'm missing out on at the moment.

#40 Posted by Barrock (3926 posts) -

Getting this really badly right now.