#1 Posted by roars5000 (94 posts) -

For the past couple weeks I’ve noticed that the videos on the app stop in order to buffer and load the content frequently. It’s disruptive and makes watching the content unpleasant. It’s a strange thing that only happens with the Giant Bomb app. When I switch to the YouTube app, for example, there are no issues watching the videos and the content loads without problems. When I first started using the Apple app it wasn’t an issue at all. But now it happens frequently and it seems to be a new issue. I’ve restarted the Apple TV, rebooted the internet, and uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Any one else having these issues? Any suggestions? It’s a fantastic app - I hope this issue can get resolved.

#2 Edited by Tweedster (45 posts) -

@roars5000: I was also having this issue last month with the AppleTV app. It was so frequent that I ceased using it and would use the YouTube app for non-premium videos, and AirPlay from my iPad to the TV for premium vids. Both of those paths worked flawlessly, but it is frustrating for such a great app to essentially become unusable.

I’m out of the country for a bit, so can’t provide current updates, but it sounds like the problem isn’t limited to just me.

#3 Posted by Rorie (5194 posts) -

@roars5000: I was also having this issue last month with the AppleTV app. It was so frequent that I ceased using it and would use the YouTube app for non-premium videos, and AirPlay from my iPad to the TV for premium vids. Both of those paths worked flawlessly, but it is frustrating for such a great app to essentially become unusable.

I’m out of the country for a bit, so can’t provide current updates, but it sounds like the problem isn’t limited to just me.

I don't think that the Apple TV app is actually made by us; I believe it's developed by a community member. Are videos through our site player on the same network seeing the same issues?

Staff
#4 Posted by Tweedster (45 posts) -

@rorie: All from the same network, the site player from my iPad played the videos fine. Also, if I played them on my PC via the site player, they were also fine. The issue was limited to the AppleTV app, which ran perfectly for a long time, then started buffering on all videos earlier this year.

Hope this info is helpful Matt!

#5 Posted by TheJoker138 (104 posts) -

Whenever I try to play anything on the app now it just immediately crashes to the home screen.

#7 Edited by acbarrentine (1 posts) -

I have the same issue here, pausing to buffer every few minutes. The longer the stream, the worse the problem is. Streams above a certain length (seems like the 3 hour range) also lose audio every so often, which will return just by pausing/unpausing.

None of these problems exist when viewing those same videos through other services, like Youtube or the computer. It's particular to the Apple TV app. It is also the only app on the Apple TV that seems to exhibit these issues. I have seen it now on two different ISPs.

#8 Posted by ravensword (4284 posts) -

Does the app still have the issue where the audio will cut off after a certain time? I had that a bit ago

#9 Edited by blacks329 (22 posts) -

I’ve had the same streaming issue as well using the Apple TV app directly, but airplay to the same Apple TV from an iPad or a laptop works perfectly fine.

I’m having a new issue where Whenever I open the latest section the Apple TV app crashes, I’m pretty sure it’s the recent million dollar Abby video, because if I go into other individual categories they work fine, but the million dollar Abby section also crashes the app.

#10 Edited by reesek (2 posts) -

@blacks329: I'm so glad it's not just me! I've been having the same problem with the Apple TV app and the "Latest" section crashing the app. The only thing I haven't tried yet is uninstalling/reinstalling the app, but I highly doubt that would fix it. Thanks for posting this!

#11 Posted by blacks329 (22 posts) -

@reesek: yeah I tried deleting and reinstalling and that did not fix the latest section crashing issue

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
#12 Posted by colourful_hippie (5823 posts) -

@rorie: All from the same network, the site player from my iPad played the videos fine. Also, if I played them on my PC via the site player, they were also fine. The issue was limited to the AppleTV app, which ran perfectly for a long time, then started buffering on all videos earlier this year.

Hope this info is helpful Matt!

I am having exact same issue. The Apple TV app is super frustrating with buffer issues, the only thing that works is livestreams.

#13 Posted by Rorie (5194 posts) -

I believe an engineer is looking into this with the developer of the app. I don't have an ETA on a fix, though.

Staff
#14 Posted by yoctoyotta (601 posts) -

@rorie @tweedster @reesek @colourful_hippie @blacks329

The "recent videos" crash issue seems to be resolved, I just gave it a try a few minutes ago and all was well. Hurray!

#15 Posted by reesek (2 posts) -
#16 Posted by ministry4390 (58 posts) -

I'm still having problems with the app crashing. It started whenever I would pause the SpyPartyParty video.

Now if I scroll down more than few rows in the latest section it crashes. I was able to get into the Million Dollar Abby section 1 time, but then when I paused while watching the video it crashed. Now as soon as I click the Million Dollar Abby section it crashes right away.

#17 Posted by Tweedster (45 posts) -

I'm still having problems with the app crashing. It started whenever I would pause the SpyPartyParty video.

Now if I scroll down more than few rows in the latest section it crashes. I was able to get into the Million Dollar Abby section 1 time, but then when I paused while watching the video it crashed. Now as soon as I click the Million Dollar Abby section it crashes right away.

I'll chime in with a verification I'm also still having crashing on my AppleTV. I tried loading into the Million Dollar Abby section as well, and it instantly crashes the app. Every time.

Additionally, I tried launching a different video from a different section, and the buffering issue is still around (if not even worse). At this point, I've ceased trying to use the Apple TV for GB content, which is a shame.

#18 Posted by cfflymolo (10 posts) -

Same here, getting crashes on the Latest page whenever I scroll down past a certain point. I'm on an Apple TV 4k for reference.

#19 Posted by Kahoona (242 posts) -

I can't even open the Latest page; it crashes the app immediately. Any other category seems to work fine though.