Audio loops in videos

• 89 results
Linkorius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Watching with Google Chrome, whenever I watch a GB video lately, at some random point the sound goes back something like 3 or 4 seconds while the video continues normally. After a single loop, the video syncs again. It can happen several times in the same video too.

Using Windows 10 if that helps.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@linkorius: Is this happening at the same time in the same videos consistently? Can you give me any timestamps in a specific video that this is happening for you? Does this happen on desktop and mobile for the same videos?

Linkorius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it happens at random. I watched the Jungle Beat Elite video and the glitch happened at the 11:59 mark. Went back this morning, and that part of the video was fine, but the glitch reoccurred at 14:25. I only watch GB content on my desktop PC so I don't know if it also happens on mobile.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@linkorius: @rorie: I can confirm I've had the exact same issue, only started noticing it yesterday. The audio loops back on itself for about 5 seconds and then the video re-syncs perfectly. It doesn't happen every 5 minutes or anything, the intervals are completely random. I noticed it on Game Tapes 06 and Exquisite Corps 26 (happened at least 3 times in the first 10 minutes) refreshed and it was the exact same sentences that looped. SO I switched the quality from HTML5 auto to HTML5 high then back to uuto and it seems fine now.

Latest version of Chrome on Windows 10 btw.

Rodn3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I noticed the same issue in some videos (e.g. Hitsmas 2017) but forgot to report it. It only happens when using HTML5/HLS. Progressive streaming does not have that issue for me (and since it works better in general in my case I've only been using progressive lately).

Also Chrome (66) on Windows 10 (1803).

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, I will try to look into this when I can! Sorry for the trouble.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@linkorius:@rodn3y: @rorie:

This actually only started for me on the 23rd when W10 finally shoehorned me into accepting its v1804 update (which failed to fully install) after avoiding it for a long time. Perhaps we 3 are all victim to the same faith? Since posting on here I've noticed various A/V issues across all PC audio and video (VLC, iTunes), mostly stuttering... May not be a GB issue..

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By larmer

It happens on mobile too. Have had it happen on Windows 10 PC on both Chrome and Firefox, as well as on my iPhone 8 Plus in the Safari browser.

As previously posted, there's no set timestamps for it. It will happen at the exact same timestamp if I rewind the video, but if I exit and come back to the video later it won't happen at the same timestamp.

Bestyhammar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually had the same thing to from time to time, Windows 10 on using Chrome (all would have been the most recent versions at that time). I usually just chalked it up to a bandwidth hiccup, and never thought too much about it TBH. Similar to the others, it seems to be random, no consistent variables I can recall on both 'regular videos' (free and Premium) and the Infinite stream, and I would say I first started noticing it in the past month or so. Thanks Rorie.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@rorie: Just noticed this too (only on HTML5 - I had previously been using the Progressive player but noticed HTML5 uses far fewer resources on my laptop so switched over until I noticed this bug occur multiple times).

Latest Chrome (66) with current Win 10 (1803) and exactly this behaviour where the audio jumps back a few seconds at some point in the video (losing sync, very noticeable when it happens during talking as a sentence often repeats) and then, after some time, it jumps forward (to come back into sync with the video stream). While it appears to be quite random (reload video and it doesn't happen again at the same point if you jump to the time), it does persist in the local cache so when you experience the desync you can scrub back a bit in the video and see it happen again (presumably while that block of streamed data is in memory the corrupted sync issue persists but a full reload causes it to start streaming a new copy).

This happened on two different machines (one Intel, one AMD) but with same software setup on both (and with several different GB videos).

Axl159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. I'm on the latest chrome (Windows 8.1) and I got it to loop the audio repeatedly at one point in a video but once I re-loaded it was fine. It seems to happen, to me at least, on longer videos in random intervals.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By vortextk

Also been seeing this. Needed to finish the last few minutes of the first big boss 2 episode to watch the latest, and it happened almost immediately to where I was. 1:35:15, it's looping where Vinny asks if there are any other mines in other areas, and the same as everyone else when I reload the page I can no longer rewind and hear it loop anymore.

This is a pretty new problem for me. Updated win10 and chrome as well; never really seen this with any other video player or GB prior to the past few weeks maybe.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I also noticed this watching the Beast in the East series, but didn't report it cause I thought I was going insane. Using Chrome, HTML5 player and I think it was either on Auto or HD quality.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BonOrbitz

It's been happening to me for the past three days. Both east and west videos. Chrome 67, HTML player on Auto quality. It occurs randomly.

AndrooD2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

I have also experienced this multiple times though not recently. It's been a couple months. Seems completely random. On mobile (iPhone, iPad) using Safari.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for all the reports on this. There's a bug report in for it but I can't guarantee it'll get solved before E3 rolls around. Sorry for the trouble.

eddeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just though I'd chime in that this is happening on the latest stable Firefox 60.0.1 on Windows 7 too. Watching Vinnystania and it's happening for a few seconds every ten minutes or so. HTML5 player on HD.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just experienced this for the first time today. Doesn't seem to be related to a specific video (happened on a few different videos, they were all released this week though). It's both audio randomly looping, and then it getting out of sync (but eventually catching back up). On chrome Version 67.0.3396.62

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nux

This has been happening to me as well. I'm currently watching the Zelda randomizer video and I'm getting the looping audio. I'm chrome and win 7. This happens for me on both premium and non-premium videos. HTML5 player on HD

lynch69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the same problem. Randomly the audio will loop during playback. This happens with the HTML5 player. I've tried both Chrome and Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 (everything updated) and get the same error. The audio loop doesn't happen with progressive playback though, so I switched to that.

katiedey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

same issue. html5 player. doesn't happen with progressive or youtube. started a few days ago. very weird

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Homelessbird

Same issue, seems like it might be getting worse? Just watched a six minute video where it happened 3 or 4 times

AccNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't watch most videos using the Giant Bomb player - I tend to either download for later watching or watch on Youtube. However I've been encountering this problem while watching Giant Bomb Infinite, which is bizarre as that's the Twitch player and I watch a LOT of Twitch streams and have never had this issue with any other stream. Maybe the broadcast PC is having the issue when playing back the videos for Infinite?

It was especially bad during the Nintendo Switch Launch Day stream, which was on Infinite on Jun 04. The audio looped every 5 mins or so.

tommypower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just throwing in another voice of having this happen. Chrome, Windows 10. Twitch as well as youtube player.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've also seen (heard?) this happen on the GB Infinite stream on Twitch for what it's worth.

IndeedBeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, this is still happening.

destroyer413b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By destroyer413b

Happened to me at least 3 times in the new Ranking of Fighters video and almost immediately on another one after that. Also on Chrome.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been happening to me, also. Though once someone repeated what they said on purpose. That really spooked me for a second, lol.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happens to me all the time, across multiple different setups, phones, desktop, etc.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like the cause of this is due to the quality of the video rapidly switching between two video qualities. We're working on a fix for that now but I still don't have an ETA, unfortunately.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yeah, it's been happening to me a lot as well during E3 especially. But good to hear that it's being investigated.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just noticed the problem that last couple days on my home computer. Didn't happen on my Chromebook while I was traveling for whatever reason.

In any case, I assume that the issue can be solved by switching off of "Auto" quality and picking one for it to stick at?

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By TwoLines

Same exact problem here. Windows 10, latest Chrome.

Zabiam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. Only html5. win10. chrome.

Dryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed this on the latest Bombcast. Win 10 Chrome.

GhostHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yup happening. Even on GB infinite on the twitch player.

Avatar image for brunomafioletti
brunomafioletti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the same problem in firefox and safari, windows and Mac respectively, but not only with GB videos.

heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had this problem for a while now. Windows 10, latest FIrefox, HTML5 definitely, HD setting. Currently watching Ranking of FIghters 0015 and have it happen @ 3:15 consistently. Doesn't happen in progressive but there is an odd audio anomaly at that time. HTML5 must be using GGPO. =D

DrFoxbard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has been happening for a while for me as well, rewinding the video does not fix the loop, but pausing and refreshing the page does. It still usually happens again later in the video.
Contrary to most people here, I'm still using Windows 7, though I am using Chrome.

CharlesSahara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is happening to me, too, on multiple PCs running Windows 10. It occurs randomly in both Vivaldi and Edge.

boiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By boiter

getting this one a lot recently. it'll go from video working fine, to then the audio jumping back ~5 seconds while video continues normally, so the audio will now be out of sync with the video. chrome on windows 10.

~~

re: "Yup happening. Even on GB infinite on the twitch player." i assume this is a case of, it's happening to the GB video player and just getting captured via the OBS+twitch stream.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is still being worked on! Sorry for the trouble.

Rodn3y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rodn3y

@rorie (also @wcarle): I have done some testing of my own and believe to have found out what the problem is.

The short of it is: Akamai will occasionally serve a malformed video segment that repeats (part of) the audio stream, but not the video stream. The player seems to handle this by continuing to play that segment's audio stream while the video stream of the next segment starts playing.

The initial suspicion came from playing around with ffmpeg and a GB video delivered through HLS. I noticed that ffmpeg would occasionally warn about non-monotonous audio timestamps. If that warning was present in the log, the created video file contained a loop identical to what has been observed by me and others in this thread. If the same video was downloaded with ffmpeg *without* any of these warnings appearing in the log, the video file did not contain any audio repetitions.

In order to catch this while watching a video on the site I used Fiddler to capture all of my browser's traffic while viewing a GB video (today's Moonlighter QL in this case).

Once I hit an audio loop I simply repeated the requests for the last dozen or so segments and compared the sizes. Since I've found through my ffmpeg testing that requesting a segment again is unlikely to deliver another malformed one, this quickly allowed me to single out a segment that had changed between the two requests:

Part of my Fiddler request list. Marked in blue is segment #173, red is #174 and green is #175. See how the size for #174 changed between the two requests
Part of my Fiddler request list. Marked in blue is segment #173, red is #174 and green is #175. See how the size for #174 changed between the two requests

This way I was able to dump the malformed and the non-malformed segment #174 as well as the preceding and subsequent segments from Fiddler's cache and can share them here if you want to have a look for yourselves:

When examining the malformed segment with ffprobe or mediainfo we can see that the audio stream has a duration of ~19 seconds, while the video stream lasts the expected 10 seconds:

$ ffprobe -show_entries "stream=duration,codec_name,codec_type" segment174_6_av_malformed.ts
<snip!>
[STREAM]
codec_name=h264
codec_type=video
duration=10.009678
[/STREAM]
[STREAM]
codec_name=aac
codec_type=audio
duration=18.965333
[/STREAM]

All other segments show the same 10 seconds for the video and audio stream.

Based on Akamai's documentation (at least the public part) I assume they use some kind of on-the-fly repackaging from mp4 to HLS. Given my observations this leads me to believe there might be a problem with the repackaging process of the video on their end, which will occasionally result in malformed segments like these being served to viewers.

Based on these results and other testing I have done with hls.js I do not believe that the audio looping is caused by an issue with the Giant Bomb player or the hls.js library that is used to play back HLS content.

While I'm not too familiar with the underlying specs for MPEG-TS and HLS I do assume that an audio track longer than the video track is not permitted in a standard-conforming segment (hence me referring to it as malformed). While it might be possible to work around this inside of hls.js, ultimately this is something Akamai has to fix on their end.

As an aside: this issue happens a lot more recently. At least as far as I can tell. It happened three times to me during the Wreckfest QL!

Edit: Edited out some typos that sleepy me left for you to find.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rodn3y: This is an incredibly thorough and amazing breakdown of the problem. We have suspected something in akamai stream packaging was causing the HLS looping issues but have received little help from Akamai to resolve them. This breakdown will surely help them pinpoint the problem. I've created a high-priority ticket with most of these details with Akamai. We'll try to get this resolved ASAP.

This post was an incredible help thank you!

dexxfm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue is more frequently occuring for me as well. I've seen it for months in GB Infinite, but now i'm seeing it in regular video. I want to say i was watching the live stream of the giantbombcast and I saw it in that too.

Homer33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still happening, still super annoying.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers