• 56 results
#51 Posted by zokamoka (142 posts) -

Yep, the issue is still happening =(

#52 Posted by Sessh (3133 posts) -

I'm sorry, but this finally needs to get solved. One and a half months of constant annoyance is not cool.

#53 Posted by Forcen (2478 posts) -

Possible workaround: Use Progressive mode, no looping there for me.

Is there any downside with progressive? It's not like it's using flash, I don't have that installed. Is the only downside the lack of an "auto" quality?

#54 Posted by Rodn3y (14 posts) -

@forcen said:

Is there any downside with progressive? It's not like it's using flash, I don't have that installed. Is the only downside the lack of an "auto" quality?

Progressive mode counts against your video download limit (since it's technically the same as downloading the video), therefore you can only watch a limited number of videos per day. Though that limit is probably high enough that you're unlikely to actually run into any issues with that.

#55 Edited by Forcen (2478 posts) -

@rodn3y: Really? I didn't know that. Is it also better for the website and their bandwidth if we use the html5 mode?

I didn't know we had a download limit, guess that makes sense. That applies to the unofficial video apps also I assume? I thought it was mostly limits on using the account on multiple IPs and stuff. I wonder what the limit is..

EDIT: Knowing that reminds of this bug that isn't helping your limits: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/every-time-switch-the-video-player-to-youtube-it-d-1815261/

#56 Edited by Rodn3y (14 posts) -

@forcen: There's a post about video downloads that says the limit is 25 20, though in reality it's higher. And yes it applies to unoffical video apps since those can't access the HLS streams (which would be something nice to get with the upcoming changes btw).

The HTML5 mode will actually use more data because there's a bit of overhead to HLS. While I have not tested this with GB I checked another site some time ago and the overhead for HLS compared to direct MP4 streaming was around 3-4%.
That might not necessarily mean that it is cheaper for GB, Akamai could bill it differently for example. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.