Buffering Issue on Chromecast 2

Pozxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello @edgework (@rorie recommended I post here),

For the past couple months I have been having intermittent issues streaming Giantbomb videos to my Chromecast 2.

I use the Giantbomb Video Buddy app and the Luchadeer app on my Android phone/tablet. I know you guys only support the API and have nothing to do with the Chromecast streaming itself, but I'm wondering if it could be a bandwidth or encoding issue on your end. I have no problems streaming anything else to my Chromecast and my internet/home network are properly setup. Also, watching HTML5 videos from the GB website is fine and does not have any of those issues.

The buffering seems to happen after watching a video for over 20 minutes. Everything is fine and then it starts to stutter as it tries to buffer. I can't confirm this for sure, but it seems to happen almost entirely when watching GBEAST videos. Could it be that they use a higher bitrate when encoding and that the Chromecast can not keep up or that it is more taxing on your bandwidth?

The last time it happened was Sunday when I was watching the latest Phantasmagoria Playdate.

I'm sorry I don't have more definitive info. I just wanted to know if you are aware of the issue and/or have a solution.

Thank you, @pozo

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@pozo: We've seen similar stuff with GBEast videos on external players. Vinny's looking into it...

Pozxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@edgework: Great to hear. Once it gets looked at, let me know if you want me to test it and report back. Thanks.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gutterkisser

@edgework: @pozo: I've had the same issue for months, Chromecasting from a Nexus 5 to a Sony Android TV. I have 100mbps down and can stream literally anything else in HD, but Giant Bomb content eventually starts buffering even if I select Low video quality.

The TV is connected via Ethernet to a good ASUS router, so my hardware is sound. I've tried changing DNS settings, but beyond that I'm not network-savy enough to troubleshoot further.

If I can provide any further info I'd be happy to, as it's baffling - I had a smoother experience watching GB video (in browser) in my last home where the internet was awful. Thanks in advance!