Fix "main image" cropping for wiki pages please (re: Switch art)

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Look, I know there's little to no chance this wiki is seeing feature additions or any bigger overhauls but it's a pain in the ass dealing with Switch box arts and the wiki's insufferable practice of automagically cropping images that exceed a certain height. Back then Mario Odyssey came out I had to upload like 5 differently cropped versions of the box art to make the title show up in the cropped pic.

Can someone fix the setting to make it go wider or to just resize it to fit? Is that feasible? Please? Thanks.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@def: Can you link me to a page that has poorly cropped image art? I can look into this but I'm not sure where to start. The wiki as a whole is getting a pretty thorough rebuild and I can see if this can be fixed as part of that, perhaps.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I manually crop them to fit into the box every time so there isn't one. But it sucks having to cut off so much of the artwork every time. YOu can test this yourself by going to any Switch game box and throwing an actual box cover into the default image and you'll see it cropped to oblivion. Mario Odyssey and Mario Tennis Aces are good examples since their title is at the bottom and the bottom part is what gets cropped by default. Again, those two pages currently have art that "fits" because I cropped them heavily. Just pick a box and set it as the default to check.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright, I will file a ticket for this to be looked into. It might be wrapped into the overall wiki rebuild stuff that's going on, though, so I can't say it'll be a quick fix.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:

hey, is there any update on this? it's still very much an issue where every single switch-exclusive game needs special cropping that either crops crucial parts of the box artwork or has to use different art in general. is there no simple fix where it just resizes the image without cropping it to fit that arbitrary DVD format?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@def: Lemme re-file the ticket - not sure why it didn't get done last year off the top of my head but I'll see what I can figure out.