For the love of God, please localize the "upcoming live shows" thing to use the local timezone

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Apparently, there's going to be a Breakfast and Ben today at 6:30 PM PST. What is a "PST"? I would assume that it's one of those dumb American timezones that for some reason doesn't use the "GMT+<offset>" format, so it's impossible to figure out what it is in local time. Since the dudes are in San Francisco, I'm assuming the "P" is "Pacific", which leads me to assume that it stands for "Pacific Stupid Timezone". Even if I did know what GMT offset was, it would be a pain in the ass to convert to local time, especially when the old site just did it for me.

Look man: I have no fucking idea when I should show up for anything on Giant Bomb any more. We use it as a joke, but right now the "Swatch Internet Time" thing is actually more useful than the actual clock thing. The old site did this perfectly, just converting the time whatever timezone I'm in. Please bring it back! Or at least a countdown or something.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah localization would be great , (the previous version had support for it). And yeah every scientific thing ever uses GMT, GMT should be a standard, also there should be a option for beats :D.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Breakfast with Ben happens at 770 .beats

Will Carle adressed this issue at the GB subreddit.

That was a bug should be fixed now To clarify it still says PST but it's actually your local time... We're going to remove the PST tomorrow

So just tune in at 18:30 (or 6.30 PM) your time and you're gucci.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Were they joking about adding something to the URL in order to get the time in .beats or is this a real thing?

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breakfast with Ben happens at 770 .beats

Will Carle adressed this issue at the GB subreddit.

That was a bug should be fixed now To clarify it still says PST but it's actually your local time... We're going to remove the PST tomorrow

So just tune in at 18:30 (or 6.30 PM) your time and you're gucci.

Oh, ok, cool! Glad to hear it.

silens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By silens

The current Upcoming box on the landing screen reads:

Quick Look: Black Bird (Today, 2:00PM PST)

Breakfast 'N' Ben - 11/07/2018 (Today, 1:30AM PST)

Quick Look: The Shapeshifting Detective (Tomorrow, 2:00PM PST)

Unprofessional Fridays: 11/09/2018 (Tomorrow, 7:00AM PST)

The first two items don't appear to be in chronological order, but is this just a remnant of the timezones being tied to the today/tomorrow labelling?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm in the UK, so currently on GMT (8 hours ahead of PST).

bathala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bathala

the time threw me off. (Japan here)

Breakfast with Ben is usually 1am (JPN) but it's showing 730pm tomorrow

Stuewe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, so now I see that the PST is gone, but something still seems weird. The current upcoming listing for UPF says "Tomorrow at 7:00 PM" That's 2 hours later than normal in my time zone. Is the time zone calculation broken, or is this UPF scheduled at a weird time?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By frytup

@gkhan said:

Apparently, there's going to be a Breakfast and Ben today at 6:30 PM PST. What is a "PST"? I would assume that it's one of those dumb American timezones that for some reason doesn't use the "GMT+<offset>" format, so it's impossible to figure out what it is in local time.

Whut? No time zones put the GMT offset in the name of the time zone. CET = Central European Time, AEDT = Australian Daylight Time, etc.

But I sure hope this gets fixed before you have an aneurysm.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: Between this thread and the one focused on the website changes as a whole, I'm a little worried about a number of people. I knew that this community could be persnickety as hell sometimes but holy cow.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just so we're all on the same level - possibly either convert it to .beats, or 'Brad Time'.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone in Cali who works during the day (while the crew is taping) I'm always amazed that there are so many people catching these video features live. A little jealous that I never get to join in on the chat stuff even though I would most certainly just post nonsense.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@sethmode: me too....my eyes are wide as hell in disbelief at how "internet ragey" some of these complaints are...

Stuewe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now the times seem right. Thanks engineers!

MrCaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still having issues, I'm in PST but it says in the Upcoming that UPF is at 5pm, when it's always been at 3pm (and I do use .beats where it shows .083 which would be 5pm PST too).

Now, I am on Chrome portable off a USB, not sure if that messes things up, but my upcoming is still off by 2 hours (even after refreshing and restarting).

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still having issues, I'm in PST but it says in the Upcoming that UPF is at 5pm, when it's always been at 3pm (and I do use .beats where it shows .083 which would be 5pm PST too).

Now, I am on Chrome portable off a USB, not sure if that messes things up, but my upcoming is still off by 2 hours (even after refreshing and restarting).

Mine says 12:00 AM and @000 .beats which is correct, @000 is midnight European time. It's weird that our .beats are different, the whole point is that it doesn't have timezones. The other upcoming show is correct as well.

(I love that we're using .beats to debug this thing)

MrCaseyJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gkhan: I guess that's my problem: the .beats should be correct, which is why I switched to them because the time zones were wrong on my own Upcoming section.

But now the .beats and time zone times are wrong and I'm not sure why

omninom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, so is the site supposed to be automatically adjusting the time zone for upcoming shows, because I'm on the US east coast and the times I see on the site are all US west coast. This is going to be even more of a headache once California's new law to go with permanent daylight saving time goes into effect in the spring.

silens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Times seem correct for me on the homepage, but the ordering of upcoming live shows in the Live dropdown are reversed/out of order.

The homepage shows Die Another Friday 002 before Unprofessional Fridays tomorrow (correctly), but the dropdown shows Unprofessional Fridays above Die Another Friday 002 (although the times are correct).