Giant Bomb Plex Channel

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mrpibb this appears to be fixed for me, thanks for looking into it.

dancecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still can't play premium videos on my Amazon Fire TV. @razorramen Did it start working for you automatically, or did you have to do anything in particular?

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get any videos working through Plex on Amazon Fire TV, even using the code.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By TheeGravedigger

Attempting to use plex to get giantbomb videos up on a chromecast, no luck.

Edit. An hour later, I got it working. I should write up some documentation, becuase I had a heck of a time getting this to run.

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbones80: Didn't change anything, it just started working. Checked today and it was still working.

Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was working, it has now died. And when I try to open it via plex, it says that the channel isn't responding.

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started using Plex because I got a chromecast, and I can't even play the videos in the plex player never mind through chromecast.

rebelcrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By rebelcrusader
Pyronite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Pyronite

I'm not able to find where to add the link key (giantbomb.com/plex) anymore, and as a result, I can't see any subscriber videos.

Am I just missing it? There is no "settings" gear within the Giant Bomb channel anymore.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Does the Plex channel support sync? Right now I use Plex for basically everything, even on my phone & tablet, but I use GB Video Buddy since it lets me download videos ahead of time.

splatdotoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyronite: I'm experiencing the same problem. Have you had any luck?

Pyronite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyronite: I'm experiencing the same problem. Have you had any luck?

No luck! Hoping someone who knows better than I do comes in and knows the answer to (or is able to fix) the issue.

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was wondering the same thing ... :(

RazorRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By RazorRamen

@pyronite said:

I'm not able to find where to add the link key (giantbomb.com/plex) anymore, and as a result, I can't see any subscriber videos.

Am I just missing it? There is no "settings" gear within the Giant Bomb channel anymore.

Having the same issue. @mrpibb or @rorie any idea if/when this will be fixed?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@razorramen: Hmm, I'm not sure. I know @alexisg uses Plex, or has in the past, so he should hopefully be able to look into this? Or maybe @frobie?

jbs231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to chime in that the settings button is gone for me as well in the GB plex channel. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same for me

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By guanophobic

Yup, same here.

I'm guessing that the plex app's audience is way too small to get any real effort from the GB guys.

Is there a way to maybe open source the app? @alexisg?

The plex app is used just as much as the website on my end, would love to see it get some continued love :)

Slow_pC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im with you guano ... don't want to airplay things when I don't need to.

digeratix90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No settings option for me either.

MrHeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No subscriber videos and no settings here either

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'll see if we can get some time for an engineer to look into this next week.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#73 frobie  Staff

Here are my findings so far:

Plex updated the way they pull down videos. Instead of grabbing it from the API, they are grabbing the meta data from our site's video pages. In this update, they also removed the link code from the plugin repository.

So current workaround is to log into GiantBomb with your subscription account using the same browser that you're running the Plex Media Server. This allows Plex to grab the meta data of premium videos.

I'll be working on getting Plex to accept direct video feeds rather than hitting up our site pages for it.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie said:

So current workaround is to log into GiantBomb with your subscription account using the same browser that you're running the Plex Media Server. This allows Plex to grab the meta data of premium videos.

I'll be working on getting Plex to accept direct video feeds rather than hitting up our site pages for it.

That's not working for me, anyone else?
There's also no way for me to use a browser on the couch. I use my smart-TV's plex client to access the plex server.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By laika

@frobie said:

That's not working for me, anyone else?

There's also no way for me to use a browser on the couch. I use my smart-TV's plex client to access the plex server.

Plex changed this without consulting or notifying us. (This happened in April: https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/GiantBomb.bundle/pull/9) @frobie is trying to work on a fix, but it's ultimately up to them.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By frobie  Staff

Update #2:

The fix is in, almost. Sent a pull request to Plex to merge in the fix: https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/GiantBomb.bundle/pull/10

When they do the merge, it should update the GiantBomb channel in everyone's Plex account.

To access the premium videos, you'll have to enter your API Key (from http://www.giantbomb.com/api/) via the cog wheel seen on the channel list page or in the upper right corner of the screen when in the channel.

As part of this fix:

- Added a 'next page' button to paginate through categories with more than 100 videos

- Fixed the endurance run lists to show the correct videos

- Added endurance-like runs to the endurance run list: Chrono Trigger, Break Brad: Demon's Souls, Load Our Last Soulds, Metal Gear Scanlon, Bradley May Cry

MrHeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie: That's fantastic! Thanks for looking in to it

Pyronite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By guanophobic

How long does it usually take for the pull requests to go through?

A week or so?

Edit: Looks like the pull request just went through, and everything's working fine! Thanks @frobie

hnrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By hnrk

Looks like it was merged 3 hours ago. Is it instantly available via an update?

edit: Since I can see Chrono Trigger, the update must be in I guess..

Does that mean it should work now? I installed it just now for the first time so I can't tell if there is any difference but it doesn't work for me. With the API key entered nothing plays. Without it atleast the non subscriber stuff works.

edit2: ok the problem seems to be that you call ApiKey() to form the hd video link in ServiceCode.pys and maybe it's not accessible from there? Python isn't my strong suit. I got it to work by replacing the function call with my api key hard coded.

edit3: Ugh.. the problem keeps being reintroduced by automatic "updates". Any chance you have a proper solution to this @frobie? Thanks for looking at this btw.
And why is it working for you @guanophobic, are you on Windows? I'm running the plexserver on FreeNAS which is FreeBSD based if that makes a difference.
WeezerPipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By WeezerPipe

@tregota: yeah I can confirm that the same thing fixed the problem for me too. Seems like the ApiKey() call is the culprit.

Just a bit more context for other folks looking to fix things in the meantime, head to your plex media server plugins folder and under:

Giant Bomb.bundle\Contents\Services\URL\GiantBomb\ServiceCode.pys

Fire up the ole text editor and on line 59 near the bottom, replace the ApiKey() call with your API key. Since it's just hard coding the string into the query, just add it like so:

... + '&api_key=yourapikeyhere'

You can drop the + after the quotation mark because there's nothing else afterward to add.

Note that updates to the plugin will overwrite this fix, but the update should fix this problem anyway! :)

puxili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

... + '&api_key=yourapikeyhere'

Somehow that didn't work for me, premium videos still don't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Sign

For those having issues still, are you using your api key from http://www.giantbomb.com/api/ or were you still trying to use the key from http://www.giantbomb.com/plex ?

r3d_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

any news on a fix for this? everything seems to be working except for live streams (This channel is not responding)

3van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, the error is because ApiKey isn't available in ServiceCode.pys:

File "C:\Users\Evan\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Giant Bomb.bundle\Contents\Services\URL\GiantBomb\ServiceCode.pys", line 62, in PlayVideo

return IndirectResponse(VideoClipObject, key=video['high_url'])

NameError: global name 'ApiKey' is not defined

(The 'apiKey' key in the Prefs interface isn't available either thanks to the sandboxing stuff.)

I fixed this by creating a regex to extract the api_key param from the URL that was getting passed to PlayVideo to start with. Simple enough. I also modified the regex in ServiceInfo.plist to handle https URLs when it's doing the service lookups, because I saw a couple of errors relating to how it couldn't find a service for them whenever they were encountered.

Just submitted a PR, hopefully it gets merged soon: https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/GiantBomb.bundle/pull/11

Once it is, update your channels and it should start working. I was unable to play any video that the API returned an HD resource for (i.e. when I did the search using my API key). In my local sandbox, after changing the stuff I put in the PR, I was able to play any video I tried. I'm watching the Mario Party Party 2 video right now on my ATV via PlexConnect, for instance.

r3d_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@3van: Whatever you did, Live streams are working again !!, watching Patrick's stream right now on my ROKU. Many thanks

3van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By 3van

@r3d_zombie: you're welcome! Looks like they merged my request 3 hours ago, and apparently that means it's live in the release channel since it's working for you now.

For everyone else: if you click the "check for updates" button in the Channels section of Plex, you should get the changes I made to get everything working. If you manually modified any of the Python code (to hardcode in your API key, for instance), you might need to uninstall and then re-install the plugin.

While I'm at it (and apparently have someone willing to merge my changes into the Plex repos), is there anything else anyone's having problems with or would like to see added/changed?

3van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By 3van

@frobie and @rorie: what's the official stance on using the 'validate' resource in the API? It'd be a whole lot better user experience to enter a simple link code rather than their entire API key, especially if they're doing so on something without a keyboard.

I'd like to change the plugin back to asking for a link code (from http://giantbomb.com/plex). I think I see what was going wrong before when people were having to re-link for every video. Do these link codes expire after a certain number of accesses or a period of time? The one issue I can think of is that there's no way to have a callback to transform stuff when the user preferences get saved. Ideally, I'd do the link code->API key resolution there (and return an error if I didn't get a key in the response) and persist the actual API key... but the best it appears I can do currently is to do the lookup the next time a user goes into the plugin.

I'm asking over at the Plex dev forums to see if there's a way to do this when it gets saved.

edit: I found a list of undocumented stuff in the plugin framework that someone put together, and it reveals that PMS will call a function you define with a route of '/ValidatePrefs' whenever a user wants to save preferences... so that's awesome and will solve this. Now I just want to know if it's cool to use the whole link code method.

Also, I'm going to change the route decorators to allow PlexSync to work, since I saw that mentioned earlier in this thread.

r3d_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not working at all on today's UPF (This channel is not responding)

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#91  Edited By jslack

@3van: Agreed on this idea. We want to use validation tokens so you can use oauth methods with authenticator apps, potentially. This is among many improvements we're trying to complete for the new API release.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Were any changes made recently? Yesterday morning, everything was working fine. Last night (by around 11pm EST) I started to get "cannot connect to channel" errors that are persisting into today.

Calitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Calitar

@ascagnel: The XBMC add-on stopped working for me yesterday too. They also had (possibly still have) problems with the RSS feeds. Could be related.

evilspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

evilspectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By evilspectre

I was able to get the plugin working again by making the following changes to \Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Giant Bomb.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py

Look for "response = JSON.ObjectFromURL(API_PATH + '/chats/?api_key=' + ApiKey() + '&format=json')" and put a # sign in front of each line going down to the second ")" like link below.

http://pastebin.com/J2rF9ANW

Once the change is made you will need to restart your Plex Server for changes to take effect.

Live Streams will not work till this is fixed.

Once we get word this is fixed you can remove the # from each line so it should look like link below.

http://pastebin.com/SBxVpYqe

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was able to get the plugin working again by making the following changes to \Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Giant Bomb.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py

Look for "response = JSON.ObjectFromURL(API_PATH + '/chats/?api_key=' + ApiKey() + '&format=json')" and put a # sign in front of each line going down to the second ")" like link below.

Once the change is made you will need to restart your Plex Server for changes to take effect.

Once we get word this is fixed you can remove the # from each line so it should look like link below.

This worked for me.

tvgm2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for this, working again.

3van

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By 3van

Yeah, the /chats resource is returning a 404 currently for some reason.

I'm writing a patch to make the channel handle this failure more gracefully so this won't be an issue, and I'll put in a PR tonight.

Just as it was before, you might have to delete and re-install the plugin to get the "official" fixed build if you've made any local modifications to any of the plugin files. I'll update here when it gets pushed.