#1 Edited by dotHTM (75 posts) -

While browsing the 10 year anniversary page, Safari cranks up to 100% CPU for that tab.

No Caption Provided

The balloons stutter terribly.

Safari 12, macOS Mojave beta (18A336e)

#2 Posted by dotHTM (75 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Ditto for firefox, although the balloons are smoother, and the CPU load drops after the balloons disappear.

#3 Edited by Justin258 (15641 posts) -

What CPU do you have and how much RAM do you have? I don't have this problem at all, although I just built this computer. Windows 10, Chrome, Ryzen 7.

#4 Posted by TopCat88 (371 posts) -

I hadn't noticed, but I checked and mine goes from about 4% on the homepage to around 70% usage on the 10 Years page. It drops back to 4-5% after the balloons are gone. It's not really an issue, but interesting how much CPU Chrome is using for those balloons. Here are my specs if it matters:

No Caption Provided

#5 Posted by Moderp (229 posts) -

What a fucking weird thing. The animating balloons causing immense cpu tax. Maybe someone spelled Baloon wrong somewhere in he code...

#6 Posted by TopCat88 (371 posts) -

@moderp said:

What a fucking weird thing. The animating balloons causing immense cpu tax. Maybe someone spelled Baloon wrong somewhere in he code...

Everyone to the .ini room, stat!

#7 Posted by FacelessVixen (2576 posts) -

Someone with a 4690K reporting in: Not getting any performance issues, but CPU usage does spike to 100% utilization and full speed for a couple of seconds when loading and reloading the page, according to task manager. Other details if they matter: Latest version of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, latest version of Firefox Quantum 64-bit, and 16GBs of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM.

Also tried this on my 128GB ROM 4GB RAM version of the Surface 3 with more of less the same software as my desktop: It does top out at 100% utilization and full speed for a bit longer with about a second of stutter when the balloons start loading in, but I wouldn't describe the performance as "crippling" or "abnormal", more like "typical" since that Atom can only do so much at one time.

Just for fun, I could revert my desktop to my original build with a Celeron G1840 and 4GBs of RAM and do some testing, but I'm low on thermal paste.

#8 Posted by WezqApe (86 posts) -

No huge spikes for me on a ryzen 1600X, 16gb, Win 10 64bit. Firefox stays at 1-4% the whole time, Chrome spikes to about 10% when the balloon page loads, then settles back to 1-4%.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
#9 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (902 posts) -

I have a modest Core i5 running at 3Ghz with 8Gb RAM, Windows 10 64bit and an Nvidia 1070, running whatever the latest build of Chrome is. CPU usage goes up to 10% while balloons are on-screen but drops back to 3-4% when they're gone.

#10 Posted by CreepingDeath0 (418 posts) -

It actually reliably crashes my phones browser. Haven't tries it on the PC yet

#11 Posted by soulcake (2745 posts) -

Those Balloons man ...

Loading Video...

#12 Posted by dotHTM (75 posts) -

@justin258: It's a 2015 MacBook Pro, Intel Core i7, 2.2GHz, 16 GB of RAM.

I don't know if this is due to beta macOS, or beta Safari 12 issue. Firefox has pretty smooth animations, but the CPU load seems high, although I'll admit I've never looked much at my CPU usage on other sites. CNN actually does about as much load.

Javascript is weird, and I wish consumers had more control over what runs and doesn't.