Is anyone else having daily problems with the video player?

• 69 results
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

It crashes like a mother fucker lately. Also, sometimes videos will just not play and require multiple restarts of Chrome to finally start running.

ApeX_PN01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ApeX_PN01

Yup, I've got the same thing happening to me. Videos refuse to play on mah Chrome.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

Pretty much every single video pauses for about 10 seconds right at the start and the odd video will stop at the exact halfway point for me occasionally. No actual crashes though.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I stopped watching the videos here and just go to YouTube instead. At least it works and isn't a buggy mess.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jazzycola

Yep. Mine will just get stuck every once in a while if I choose the streaming option, though I usually use firefox.

aacurrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I go to youtube as much as I can to watch the videos, but that's not an option for subscriber only content. Been at least a month like this for me. Any feedback at all from the team would be nice, if only to know that they're aware of the problem.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I usually have to restart the video at least once to get through it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah the videos usually freeze for me and I have to refresh in order to continue watching it. If I don't refresh and just try fiddling with the player all that accomplishes is losing my place.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#9  Edited By vigorousjammer

It crashes sometimes, yeah. I also recently got a kind of weird bug.

After the flash plugin crashed, I refreshed the page without actually restarting the browser (I assumed refreshing it would fix it, so I didn't bother). It did seem to fix it, so I started the video, Then after a bit, I paused and minimized from fullscreen a couple of times, and eventually the progress bar did this:

No Caption Provided

The video itself still played fine, so this seems like just a graphical bug... but, it just seems kind of odd.

Note: I'm using Google Chrome 26.0.1410.43 m on Windows-7 Ultimate 64-bit.

racebelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By racebelly

Same issue here. Ever since the upgrade videos periodically just pause randomly. Usually, they will take 30 secs+ to start again. Although, if I press the pause and then start immediately after the pause it will start again. Tonight was extra bad. The videos would only play for about 10 secs and then pause. YouTube works great for the no subscriber stuff. But, I can't watch the subscriber stuff on YouTube. Any ideas on fix for this?

Using Chrome 26.0.1410.43 m, Win7 Pro. Flash should be up to date.

Just confirmed it's doing the same thing in IE9.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By onarum

Yep, since the new site went live, watching videos via streaming or progressive is almost unbearable, when there's a youtube option I go with that, when there isn't I have to put on progressive and let it load for 10 - 15 minutes before watching. otherwise it will keep pausing every 10 -15 seconds or so to buffer...

This in HD of course, I mean I don't pay for yearly sub to watch videos in SD quality now do I? :P

Before I used to watch HD videos via streaming with no problems at all.

Using FF latest version(non beta)

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have trouble with the video player as well. Running Chrome here.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kortex

I am back to watching every video on youtube (except of course the premium stuff). This whole player situation has to be bad for GB from a business perspective, especially the potential loss of non-subscriber traffic.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trying to watch TNT...it is fucking broken...crashing left right and centre

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Defiance QL...broken as fuck

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@kortex said:

I am back to watching every video on youtube (except of course the premium stuff). This whole player situation has to be bad for GB from a business perspective, especially the potential loss of non-subscriber traffic.

You're damn right. I cancelled my subscription because I can't watch any of the video content.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've been experiencing a lot of stutters while watching videos, and live streams are unwatchable with hang ups every so often.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switched the HTML 5 and no problems any more...scratch that...crashes have returned

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried IE9, Firefox, chrome and Opera and all had the same problems, both live streams and videos.

CrazyOldGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CrazyOldGoat

Video will randomly stop playing (turning to a black screen with just the red play button) and I will have to restart the video.. re-finding my place within the video.. sometimes this happens once or twice for a video but 2/3rds of the time, it is rendering these videos unwatchable as it happens every couple of minutes. It really needs to be fixed..

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just chipping in to express my frustration with the video player too, videos just hitching up and requiring multiple restarts whether I open them in firefox or chrome. Someone in the comments somewhere pointed out the annoyance of a site based predominantly around video content having such a poor video player and I have to agree.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a very long delay when skipping ahead in a video when using the streaming option. On old player, when connection was good the jump forward to future spot in video was almost instant. Minimum 10-15 seconds with new player.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just last night when watching Patricks stream it constantly paused and twice even crashed and the Luchadeer " please stand by" appeared, 20 seconds later the stream popped up again but again kept stuttering.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Cant watch full screen with dual monitors :( and it occasionally just skips to the end of the video :(

rchen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By rchen

Everybody try turning off adblock first. Also, list which browser version / OS you are on.

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeanCoughing

Yes, I've been getting the whole "video freezing so then having to refresh" issue for every other video I watch.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrome, turning adblock off didn't really help for me. I even got ads during a live stream when doing that.

Avatar image for presidentofjellybeans
PresidentOfJellybeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On Chrome. I've got mine set to progressive. Videos have been loading crazy slow for a couple days now. Once I do let them load they tend to work fine. Video from other sites work fine, and speed tests don't show any problems. I don't run any adblock apps.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am using chrome on Windows 7 and it continues to crash. I love how there is no dialogue here with the community. Some reassurance from the "top men" would be helpful and I know some people will think I am whining and say that "they are too small a team to do everything"...that is bullshit. It has been almost 2 months since the site relaunch and I am paying money to access broken content. It is so hypocritical of the Giant Bomb guys to shit all over unfinished products and then leave this issue hanging for so long. I pay money so I want a product... or at least some sort of sense that they are doing something to address this problem...that is still how this whole thing works right? That is not a sense of entitlement so no one try to throw that argument at me. This is good/rudimentary business practice. Seriously, what am I paying for right now? I am just flushing my money down the toilet.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like the problem is way worse when I'm on my laptop, streaming is a nightmare and unwatchable. Seems to stream better on my desktop which is very odd.

The only video service that runs smoothly is youtube, HTML5, Progressive or Stream on archived videos still freeze every 15 seconds.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By JJWeatherman

Just want to say I've had no issues playing back video since the relaunch. Using Windows 8 and Chrome. I also use the HTML 5 setting on the video player almost exclusively.

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but it's not affecting everyone. Hopefully the engineers are able to figure it out. I'm sure they're working on it.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video player has been working fine for the past two days.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It's fine when it works, but now I'm not able to jump around in progressive videos without the video player just shitting out. I also really hate the fact that videos can't be replayed after they play through. That can't exactly be good on their end either so hopefully they fix it. I often watch their longer stream archives before sleep and usually fall asleep near the half way point. When it's a quick look, no big deal. When it's a two hour video? Kind of a problem. Even with very fast internet.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By butano
No Caption Provided

I've been having some issues recently with Chrome and HTML 5. Both on Windows 7 and 8, mostly due to the pin feature. Sometimes the video disappears and the sound still plays, sometimes it moves to the footer of the page....

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By peritus

Has been nothing but trouble as of late, and when it works its extremely slow :(

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have not been experiencing any issue lately

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, besides the sluggishness of it I'm having problems constantly.The latest problem I've had is that it often crashes when I try to skip ahead. I like the aesthetics of the new player, but the functionality is a major downgrade. And most frustrating thing is that I can no longer easily switch to the Youtube player, because for some reason that's a subscriber feature?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rafaelfc

about half the videos I try to watch end up crashing to silver screen about halfway through. it is INSANELY annoying

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Dishonored quick look just keeps crashing to static about 2 minutes in. Has been running fine as of late. One thing that is bothering me is that there has not been any sort of dialogue with "top men" in the forum...barely any. Does this forum just exist so users can share information about bugs among themselves?

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#41  Edited By bibamatt

Sat here on a 16mbps download speed unable to stream more than two seconds of the Dead Island quick look before it has to buffer. Given up ten seconds in after five buffer pauses.

Great work, top men.

EDIT: Oh, using an iPhone, by the way, so no adblocker. Didn't want to fall foul of that criticism after reading the *incredibly* patronising video FAQ.

OwlBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super slow loading videos here too, iPad, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux.

Charter is my ISP, but I don't use their DNS.

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owlboy said:

Super slow loading videos here too, iPad, Mac OS X, Windows, Linux.

Charter is my ISP, but I don't use their DNS.

Same, extremely slow clocked at 33kb/s, I'll be able to watch the video in 10 hours..........

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By indieslaw

Quasi-daily, but it keeps happening. For me, it seems like it affects the Live show archives if I hit them too soon, like within 12 hours of posting, but maybe that's nonsense.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I get essentially all the problems described in the thread on a daily basis too. Chrome, latest version, Win 7 64 bits. That video player is actively on fire.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Things have been fairly stable for me as of late...I also think the new front page looks great now

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Milkman

I had some problems recently but I switched to HTML 5 and it works pretty much perfectly now.

Ghost407

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have been having issues of late with video stopping and sometimes even resetting. Trying to watch the mailbag right now, I can't get through it without it restarting. This is really bumming me out.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By bakumatsu

Trying to watch videos here on a tablet and is almost impossible. Streams about 3 seconds then freezes. Funny thing is that about a week ago I could watch anything whithout a sweat. Now is like trying to watch HD video with a 56k modem. On my pc the problem is not so bad but also not great (long times loading the videos) and it started pretty much at the same time than the can't watch videos on tablet problem.

Edit: And I just realized that downloading the videos isn't a solution because the speed of download starts at 1,3mb/s and then it drops to 77kb/s. What hell is happening?