Is the API rate limit status busted?

#1 Posted by Calvinball (112 posts) -

Going to giantbomb.com/api, it looks to me like the clock isn't resetting every hour as it should. Here's what I'm seeing...

No Caption Provided

API requests still work for me, and it says my request rate is fine, so I don't think I'm somehow flooding the API. The -0 minutes thing makes me think the reset clock on the page is broken. Is anyone else getting this behavior?

#2 Posted by wcarle (405 posts) -

@calvinball: This is strange behavior, the counter seems to be resetting for me. It may be something wrong with you API key specifically. The easiest thing to try would be to just get you a new key. Would you be OK with us trying that?

Staff
#3 Edited by Calvinball (112 posts) -

@wcarleYeah, I'm fine with getting a new API key. Thanks, Will.

#4 Posted by Calvinball (112 posts) -

Hey @wcarle I'm still waiting for a reissued API key. API functionality is fine, so no rush.

#5 Edited by Calvinball (112 posts) -

@wcarle

Six months later, and it seems my API key has finally been blocked. Could I pretty please be issued a new key? As a reminder, my "Current API Usage" doesn't reset every hour as it's supposed to, so it's been slowly ticking up for over half a year now.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#6 Posted by Im4g1n3 (1 posts) -

I get the same error. But looking at current API usage it says "You have no current rate limits. Go forth and query."

I've only used the api/video/current-live/ endpoint and not enough to get blocked. It also doesn't reset every hour.

#7 Posted by Rorie (5868 posts) -

@calvinball: @im4g1n3: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I think this issue should be resolved now. Still seeing issues?

Staff
#8 Posted by Calvinball (112 posts) -

@rorie: The issue resolved itself in roughly 24 hours, my API key is working now. However, the rate as shown on giantbomb.com/api is still not behaving properly for me. When wcarle first responded to this in February he said he would try giving me a new API key to fix it, but I think my issue got lost in the weeds and I still have my old one.

As someone who develops using the Giant Bomb API, it would be useful to have the Current API Usage display functioning so I can ensure I don't ever introduce a bug that floods the API with requests.

Thanks for following up!