Let us disable autoplay

zzzellyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

This isn't technically a bug, but the ways in which the implementation of autoplay and whatever algorithm it's using to try and pick the next video is making the site a monstrous pain in the ass.

After I finish watching videos, seemingly at random, the site will decide that it wants to autoplay another video for me. The problem is it has some kind of obsession with videos that I've already watched. A few weeks ago it was the "Apex's out now" video, then it was the Wargroove quick look, then the Dota Autochess quick look. The unifying theme? All of these are videos I have already watched. Then, unless I'm an absolute hawk (because I frequently watch videos on a second monitor while playing something like Destiny) I'll often miss the 10 second window to bail out and the next video will start up.

That's annoying enough, but thenthat video is treated as 'unwatched', so the video shows up in the 'continue watching' carousel. These days about the only way I can stand to use the site is to go directly to https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ and pick videos one by one then instantly close the tab as soon as the video ends. I'm seriously starting to lose my mind dealing with this.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

God please.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Autoplay is terrible, has always been terrible, and should be defaulted to "off" everywhere on the internet. Please don't do this to us.

ruken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yes please. I don't see a reason to have it that isn't malicious.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the disable autoplay setting just not working for y'all?

When I have that on it still chooses a new video for me but it doesn't automatically start or add it to my continue watching.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

On the regular site I don't have autoplay but when I visit the site on my phone and just want to read some comments it will always autoplay videos and it is the worst. Almost as bad as leaving comments on mobile.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I believe a toggle for Autoplay should be coming to the site soon. The task is currently unassigned so it probably won't be happening next week, but it's definitely something we have on the radar to get done. Sorry for the wait!

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey Rorie, any updates on this? It still autoplays videos for me when I load the page.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@outrager: This should be on your settings page, although it's tough to spot:

Autoplay next video after one ends? *

YesNo

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I have that set to off already. What's happening for me is I'll open up the pages for a few videos into new tabs and when I load the tab the video just starts. It doesn't happen with all of them. When it does I see "?autoplay=1" appended to the URL.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@outrager: I know that clicking the big picture of a promoted video brings you to the autoplay URL, but clicking the "Watch Now" doesn't, because of... reasons. IMO if you have autoplay off, it should always respect that. And "Watch Now" shouldn't be labelled as such if it doesn't autoplay the video. It should just be called "Watch Video."

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outrager: I know that clicking the big picture of a promoted video brings you to the autoplay URL, but clicking the "Watch Now" doesn't, because of... reasons. IMO if you have autoplay off, it should always respect that. And "Watch Now" shouldn't be labelled as such if it doesn't autoplay the video. It should just be called "Watch Video."

Okay, this might explain it.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#13  Edited By mrbubbles

I'm 100% with you, I don't like any form of autoplay for videos and was happy to have the option to turn autoplay next video off. But I really hate that there's no option to turn that off for the promoted video. I always have to go to the latest section of the videos tab and select the most recent video there so I don't have to deal with the autoplay.