Not a bug but an oversight: US release on video pages

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

It's pulling the Japanese date because it's the FIRST release, not the US release which is May 30th.
It's pulling the Japanese date because it's the FIRST release, not the US release which is May 30th.

So this has been bugging me ever since the big site redesign. The main wiki pages had been shifted to a "First release date" format which is region neutral but the video pages still display the nonsensical "US release date" which is inaccurate most of the time since the US is not the center of the universe and video games may launch first in other regions.

Weirdest thing is, this seems like such an easy thing to fix as it's just different letters in the exact same variable. The data pulled is the same, it's only three letters more meaning the formatting wouldn't even be affected and it's something that currently presents inaccurate information on a lot of pages and doesn't have to.

Can we get this fixed sometime? Or explained why it hasn't been fixed yet? I highly doubt that everybody missed this all this time?

Cheers!

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can this please be addressed? This is such a simple thing and I get the feeling it causes people to go to the wiki pages and "fix" a release date of game that came out before the US release elsewhere and change it to the US date because they think this is what it's supposed to be. I've had to deal with this again twice in the last week alone.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@def: Can you link me to a recent video and wiki page that has this issue?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DeF

@rorie: all of them! like I said, it's not a "bug" it's just that the text doesn't match and that prompts some users to change the game's main wiki page date manually to the perceived "correct" US date when the main wiki pages actually reflect the "first ever global" release date. I have gotten a PM response from a user who did this exact thing for this exact reason.

Apparently this same exact text discrepancy also exists for the review pages. See pics:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This is an oversight that has plagued the wiki ever since the big redesign when someone forgot to change the text on these templates to reflect the changes made on the main wiki pages of games. Should be a quick and easy fix like a typo, shouldn't it? All that needs to happen is someone needs to change "Original US Release" on the Review Template and "US Release Date" on the video player pages to "First Release Date" and that would be solved. All the actual "data" is correct.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: have you put this on the magic to-fix list yet? :)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@def: It's on the list for next milestone, which hasn't started yet.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DeF

@def said:

Apparently this same exact text discrepancy also exists for the review pages. See pics:

No Caption Provided

This is an oversight that has plagued the wiki ever since the big redesign when someone forgot to change the text on these templates to reflect the changes made on the main wiki pages of games. Should be a quick and easy fix like a typo, shouldn't it? All that needs to happen is someone needs to change "Original US Release" on the Review Template and "US Release Date" on the video player pages to "First Release Date" and that would be solved. All the actual "data" is correct.

I see this has been fixed for the video pages, that's great. But the review page has not been fixed.

Captain Toad review form Today, game comes out in North America this Friday, Dec. 5:

No Caption Provided

Just have it say "First Release Date" like on the main wiki and video pages. Who do I ping about this? @jslack @rorie

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DeF

Oh how far we've come in two years! :)

(this is sarcasm: this still needs fixing ...)

@def said:
@def said:

No Caption Provided

I see this has been fixed for the video pages, that's great. But the review page has not been fixed.

Captain Toad review form Today, game comes out in North America this Friday, Dec. 5:

No Caption Provided

Just have it say "First Release Date" like on the main wiki and video pages. Who do I ping about this? @jslack @rorie

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just checked the status on this to find this has FINALLY been addressed. Thanks! Thread can be closed now.