Not necessarily a bug, but an issue with the video player.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

And this could possibly be on my end, but I don't know. Anyway, I feel you must understand the way I watch videos on this site. I opt for progressive HD and then let if buffer up about a third of the videos length before actually starting to watch the video.

Now, with the old player, this worked fine, the videos ran smoothly and played perfectly, other than some issues on my end of the video not buffering sometimes.

With the new player, I do the same and let it buffer. However, when I start to watch it, the best way I can describe the playback is as if it is a game running at around 20 frames per second or less. The video is quite stuttery but the audio plays flawlessly. Occasionally there will be ten seconds or more of a single frame from the video being on screen while the audio continues and then suddenly jumps to the current portion of the video and plays fine for a couple seconds and then it's a stuttery mess again. Once the entire video is loaded, it plays flawlessly.

I have this issue in both Firefox and Chrome, and in HTML5, Progressive, and streaming. I've only seen it happen here, and not on Youtube.

As I said, though, this may be on my end, and since I am building a new computer may go away once I finish, but thought maybe it's not.

Avatar image for mikeofalltrades
MikeOfAllTrades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've been having the same choppy issue with the new player. Just tried it in IE11 and it's silky smooth.

Keavy_Rain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The video player works perfect for me. On the old one, it would stop an hour in and replay the audio only from the beginning. I had to download any video over an hour long before, but now I can watch them on the site no problem.

Avatar image for northernavenger
NorthernAvengeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yup. Get the issue with chrome version 32.0.1700.107 m

It will also suddenly cut off forcing me to reload the entire video from scratch. This didn't happen before.

thenesta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

This sounds like the same problem I'm having, it really is kind of hard to describe! For me though, the amount of time the video will "hitch" and pause on a frame only last for a second, two at the most, and then will really quickly catch up with the video. Everything else is as the original poster describes. Audio plays fine, and everything. Though I don't know where you can see if a video has finished loading completely?

Anyways. It started around the time the new video player was put in, I know the first time I experienced this is with the Breaking Brad: Demon's Souls videos. It only happens for me with the HTML 5 player. Streaming works fine. I have a 30/7 MB connection, and I'm running a new system with an i7, and more than enough RAM. It's possible that this might also have coincided with an update to Chrome, which is the only browser I use, as another reply has stated.

For now I'll keep watching stuff in Streaming, but would like to use HTML5 again. Thanks!