Progressive Video option keeps consuming bandwidth

df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Maybe I am crazy, but hear me out:

- I was watching Beast in the East: Yakuza 0 - Part 18 and had paused it around 10 minute mark because I have other business to handle.

- When I came back, I realised the video player had been consuming bandwidth non-stop. The "high" quality mp4 is around 2.6 GB, but it had consumed more than 6 GB during my leave.

- I am using a metered proxy service so I double-checked to verify it's accurate.

- I don't know what GB's "progressive mode" is supposed to do, but in my mind it should have stopped buffering around the time I paused.

- Can anyone clarify whether I should use HTML5 or Progressive mode if I am on limited bandwidth?

df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By df

(I should add "bandwidth" here refers to amount-of-traffic, not the bit-per-second. So "data transfer" might be more accurate here. Sorry for any confusion.)

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@df: Progressive mode is there for people who want to be able to buffer the whole video, so it will continue to download while it is paused. It's good for people with slower or inconsistent connections who need to pre-load. You probably want use the HTML5 setting if you'd rather it streamed as it played.

If I had to guess why it downloaded 6GB instead of 2.4GB while you were away, I'd ask were you on "Auto" quality? In that case it probably chose to download the HD file instead (which is 6.5GB).

df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

> Progressive mode is there for people who want to be able to buffer the whole video, so it will continue to download while it is paused

I think this definition is exactly backwards from the norm: HTML5 should eventually buffer the whole video, but Progressive should not.

> I'd ask were you on "Auto" quality? In that case it probably chose to download the HD file instead (which is 6.5GB).

Nope, it's on High, I double-checked as well.

df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By df

Sorry to reply again, but here is what I saw in the inspector:

HTML5: video loads a few segments in advance while paused, but stop buffering soon after.

No Caption Provided

Progressive: video keeps buffering the full video file, the question is of course whether it continues to buffer well beyond the download.

Yes, it doesn't make sense, as it's just a file being downloaded. But even if I leave it to buffer for a long time, I still run into cases where it causes more traffic. I don't think a simple HTML5 video tag will cause so much re-buffering.

No Caption Provided

Anyway it seems like the solution for me is to use HTML5 mode for now.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This would most likely be a question for @wcarle