Q: Giant Bomb's podcasts suddenly stopped downloading with iTunes

• 56 results
MaxxCanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm subscribed to all of Giant Bomb's podcasts on iTunes, and they have suddenly stopped working.
I've tried changing versions, doesn't work with iTunes 10.7, 11.2, or 12.9.
I first noticed this on the 15th and it's still a problem. Anyone know what's up?

The "All Systems Goku" feed is also busted.

For the "Presents" feed I get the following iTunes error.

The other podcast feeds give this error.

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

amishmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been having the same issue, though instead of an error pop-up it just has the ! next to the feed name.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@amishmonster: @maxxcanti: I've seen a few other people with this issue but I don't think it's affecting everyone; have you tried unsubscribing and resubscribing?

amishmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie No luck with that, I'm afraid. I've tried using the RSS link on the podcast episodes' pages, as well as pasting the URL from that link directly into iTunes, but it doesn't seem to recognize it as a thing to subscribe to (instead of the name of the podcast it displays the URL and can't download anything).

I'm using iTunes 10.7 as well, so I'm not sure if that's contributing to the problem, but it was fine until last week. Thanks for looking into it!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amishmonster: Hmm, can you try logging out and back in and trying to subscribe to the basic RSS feed (non-Premium)? The only thing I can think of is that you might have had your API key overwhelmed for some reason. Sorry for the trouble!

amishmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No dice with logging out/in, restarting my browser and computer, or ctrl-f5ing the page. I can't subscribe to the non-premium feeds either (through the iTunes store or the RSS link from here on the site). I subbed to a couple other podcasts through iTunes as a test, and they appear to work normally, as do the other ones I was already subscribed to. How bizarre!

I can listen to them through the website, so it's not a big deal, just a convenience thing.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I've had this since last friday too (starting with last week's beastcast), pretty sure it's an issue with dts.podtrac.com which all the downloads go through, presumably to get listener statistics?

Avatar image for captaininvictus
CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has also been affecting me. I'd love to fix it, I've been manually downloading the podcasts since and it sucks, plus they don't remember listening spots when downloaded that way.

MaxxCanti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amishmonster: Clicking the "!" will give you the error message.

And the tips in here haven't worked yet. :/

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry for the lack of progress here; I've filed a ticket last week and hopefully someone will be able to figure this out soon. It isn't affecting everyone that uses iTunes, so hopefully there's some kind of common thread between your accounts that is causing this. Sorry for the trouble!

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same issue here.

amishmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaininvictus If you're using iTunes, you can enable "Remember playback position" under Get Info > Options.

And thanks for the update, @rorie!

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just going to add my log to the fire, also not had any luck downloading anything Giant Bomb on iTunes since sometime last week. Other podcasts from other companies not a problem.

CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still having this issue, the rss feed stopped working after 595. Tried deleting and resubscribing but it doesn't recognize it as an rss feed.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fisk0  Moderator

Still affecting me too, oddly enough last week (i.e. almost two weeks after GB's feeds stopped working), The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe also stopped updating, and they are not using Podtrac, so I suppose that goes against my previous hypothesis of Podtrac being the culprit.

I haven't noticed any other podcasts being affected, had some issues with Waypoint Radio's feeds last year, but that sorted itself out and has been working without issue for at least 10 months.

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this is still a problem. Really hope this gets fixed soon.

CaptainInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

any news?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is still being looked into by Will but unfortunately no one here at the office is able to replicate the issue. But he's still poking around with it. Sorry for the delay!

Avatar image for deactivated-64bd75649b32f
deactivated-64bd75649b32f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've also had the problem for a few weeks, with the Bombcast being the only podcast that was affected. I tried to update iTunes but it said I had the latest version ... When a different podcast stopped also downloading today, I desperately went to the iTunes website, downloaded iTunes and just reinstalled it. It looks slightly different now, so I definitely did not have the latest version even though iTunes said so. Now every download works fine again!

So, in case you don't have version 12.10.0.7, go to the iTunes website and download it from there. That did the trick for me. I hope that works for you, too!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juliet: Thanks, hope that works for other people!

zokudu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to throw my 2c in here. I just had this problem last week using the Overcast client on iOS. Readding the RSS feed from the premium podcast page fixed this for me. My older subscription was in the https://zokudu:password@ format and the new one is using an api key. As of right now this only happened with this weeks bombcast but I will see if the beast cast has the same issue this week.

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the latest version of iTunes (12.1.3.6) for my OS (updated to try and fix the Bombcast feed), and none of the Giant Bomb podcast feeds are working still.

gamerpigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gamerpigeon

Still broken, RSS Feed is busted. Coming up on 6 weeks now. This is so frustrating as the bombcast is pretty much the thing I pay premium for (I know it's free but I want to support it). I don't understand how this is a problem for some of us and not everyone else?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still broken, RSS Feed is busted. Coming up on 6 weeks now. This is so frustrating as the bombcast is pretty much the thing I pay premium for (I know it's free but I want to support it). I don't understand how this is a problem for some of us and not everyone else?

We're not sure either, and that's part of what's frustrating with diagnosing it - it's obviously happening to some people but not to everyone. It's still on Will's docket to look into; I'll try to ping him when he returns tomorrow.

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not working, any update?

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if it's annoying to keep bumping this thread once it falls off the first page, but it's annoying to still not be able to get the podcast after 8+ weeks.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman1138: This is still on Will's plate but unfortunately he has been traveling a bunch for work lately. I still don't have an ETA for a fix as we haven't been able to replicate the issue in-house. I'll update when I know more; sorry for the frustration!

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been another couple of weeks, any ETA on when Will might be able to have a look at it?

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only rebumping because I think my last bump got missed over the weekend.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman1138: It's still on his docket but as we haven't been able to replicate it we still haven't been able to make much progress in finding a fix. Let me see if I can just reset your API key entirely at which point you can try unsubbing and resubscribing and see if that finally works. No guarantees it will but if not we might need to have some of you try to email iTunes to see if they have any leads on this, unfortunately.

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am subscribed to the free version of all the Giant Bomb podcasts on Itunes, so not sure if that would do anything.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am subscribed to the free version of all the Giant Bomb podcasts on Itunes, so not sure if that would do anything.

Have you tried subbing to the Premium ones? Are they all broken for you as well? Sorry if you've tried that already.

ImWayGooderest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Started having issues with the premium podcasts today. All my Giant Bomb premium feeds are giving me invalid credential errors despite not changing anything. I'm on android using Podcast Addict

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried subbing to the premium feeds, made no difference. The last Giant Bombcast I was able to get before the feed stopped working was the August 6th episode, just in case that helps.

yappy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently having an issue using podcast adict and on the gian bomb premium podcasts

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started having issues with the premium podcasts today. All my Giant Bomb premium feeds are giving me invalid credential errors despite not changing anything. I'm on android using Podcast Addict

Have you tried unsubscribing and unsubscribing?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yappy666 said:

I'm currently having an issue using podcast adict and on the gian bomb premium podcasts

Have you tried unsubscribing and resubscribing?

yappy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Yes i have tried doing that one and I am still getting an error "Unknownhostexception - Unable to resolve host "auth.giantbomb.com": no address associated with hostname

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yappy666 said:

@rorie: Yes i have tried doing that one and I am still getting an error "Unknownhostexception - Unable to resolve host "auth.giantbomb.com": no address associated with hostname

I think @@wcarle will need to poke into that one unfortunately. I know we had an issue with auth being sent out instead of www. - if you can change the URL you're trying to subscribe to from auth.giantbomb to www.giantbomb it may work for you.

yappy666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie:Hi Rorie, changing it from being https://username:password(at)auth.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ to https://username:password(at)www.giantbomb.com/podcast-xml/premium/ worked for me. Thanks for help. Paul

Windex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wcarle I noticed some of the video feeds still reference this for the image URL which could explain why some apps give a network error: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/27/933918-bombcast.jpg

This does not seem to be a problem on the podcast feed though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@windex said:

@wcarle I noticed some of the video feeds still reference this for the image URL which could explain why some apps give a network error: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/27/933918-bombcast.jpg

This does not seem to be a problem on the podcast feed though.

Hey I'll file a separate bug for this one. Not sure if it's the root of these issues but who knows!

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

This just started happening to me; I pulled my RSS feed in using the Terminal and tried to manually open the video link supplied in the feed, and it loads a page with the following error:

Based on your subscription level, this content is unavailable

Not sure if there's backend work going on right now or if this is a larger problem. I'm a premium subscriber and the API key provided in my feed and the video links is correct...

sodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 27

This just started occurring for me today, using iTunes on my PC from the Windows Store. I tried readding the feed with no luck. However, it seems like my iPhone's Podcast app is able to download videos just fine still.

sodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 27

Alright, I actually tried this with Pocket Casts as well, but could not download videos there. "There was an error in your podcast feed" is all it says.

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's my every-couple-of-weeks bump of this thread, this is still a problem.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fisk0  Moderator

Still a problem here too, did some testing today and it doesn't seem like iTunes is the actual culprit, as I couldn't download any Bombcasts or Beastcasts through Google Play Music on my phone either.

I've also tested with two different ISPs, which didn't make any difference. I'm still leaning towards this being some kind of GDPR related issue unless anybody affected is outside of the EU.

I don't have any VPN accounts to test with, but would be interesting if anybody could try setting their VPN to a bunch of different countries and see if that gives different results.

I'm in Sweden by the way.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Had this problem about 9-10 years back. Someone from this site recommended Downcast, haven't looked back since.

Monkeyman1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, guessing today's newsletter means I shouldn't expect any progress till after New Year's (if at all). I get it when there's holidays, but this has been an issue since August.