Question about Ads on Youtube video despite being a Premium member.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By UncleBenny

Or I guess, my question is, as a premium member, should I just watch the ads that plays on GB videos that's streamed through youtube? Does the money go to GB or is this some Nintendo bull-hockey?

Are ads suppose to appear on youtube videos on the GB website? I've had a few videos that tries to show me banner or straight up ads and I get rid of them by refreshing the videos a few time. Am I supposed to do that or was I not supposed to do that?

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

There's an option to switch to the GB video player, which doesn't show any ads. I believe you can switch to it by clicking on the three dots at the bottom-center of the video player IIRC. YouTube will always show ads regardless of membership I think.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Youtube is youtube. There is no way for a youtube video to know whether or not you're a premium member for a different website. Youtube has their own premium service to remove advertisements, it has nothing to do with GB. The only way GB could ensure that premium members wouldn't ever see ads on youtube videos would be to not monetize them at all, which would mean no ads would ever play, premium member or not. That seems like a pointless loss of money when premium members can just use the site player to watch ad free.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#4 chaser324  Moderator

Yep. There's nothing GB can do to control the ads on YouTube. If you don't want to see ads on videos, use the GB video player.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By UncleBenny

Thanks guys. I think I stuck with YT since it eats less of GB's bandwidth, but some of those yt ads are pretty bad.

ibaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having an issue with this in that I don't see where the setting is to NOT play the videos in youtube. All the premium content works fine but any non premium goes directly to youtube without any option to play it any other way that I can see. The only option I have found is to download the videos which isn't exactly ideal. I have looked for the three dots the poster above suggested but I cannot locate them. Perhaps its the browser I'm using, just the generic windows 10 internet explorer or edge or whatever.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ibaq Hmm...it's there for me, as I described it. Using Firefox:

No Caption Provided

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pssst hey! Maybe you should install a addblocker just saying. And support the content you like through patreon and GB premium model.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tds418 said:

No Caption Provided

This is exactly what I was looking for. @rorie it's an extremely well hidden feature that was driving me bonkers on a laptop of mine I travel with. Switched to YouTube because the part of the world I was in seemed to suck for Akamai. I'm all for not consuming GB bandwidth but it seems hit or miss whether they decide to banner ad on some of the content.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tds418 said:

No Caption Provided

This is exactly what I was looking for. @rorie it's an extremely well hidden feature that was driving me bonkers on a laptop of mine I travel with. Switched to YouTube because the part of the world I was in seemed to suck for Akamai. I'm all for not consuming GB bandwidth but it seems hit or miss whether they decide to banner ad on some of the content.

Yep, I agree that it is too obscure. We'll talk about how to make it more obvious.

ibaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for the replies that did indeed work! I was just looking for the three dots with my eyeballs and was not mousing over the position for the dots to show up.

furiousjodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By furiousjodo

Seems like something you should be able to set in your Profile Preferences - the sort of video you want by default.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

FWIW the visibility of the dots has not been fixed, and the video player seems to default back to the YT player randomly post-redesign. A toggle in the profile, as @furiousjodo suggested, would be nice.