Replies take forever to go through, then fail, then succeed?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

For the past few days all my replies in treads have taken about 2 minutes each to load after pressing submit. Then, it says that something went wrong in the red bar up above, but if I reload the page my reply actually did post.

These forums are almost completely broken. Notifications haven't worked for months so I don't even know if I'm being responded to.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah it's been happening for the past week or so for me now. Having the reply error message leads me to click 'Post Reply' a few more times, resulting in multiple posts.... I'm sure they're aware of the issue and are trying to fix it now though cause I was prevented from posting any more replies when there were too many duplicate posts. Never encountered that before.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By falserelic

This thread title sounds just like my life, but anyway yeah I have the same issue aswell.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I had that problem now and again for weeks. I guess we're going to have to wait until Gamespot is finished, because restoring previous functionality is apparently not important.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Awesome.

All these years ago when i came to GB i always envisioned the sites functionality playing second fiddle to gamespot..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................what in the fuck.

Maybe it's time to move on.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Notifications have been fixed for some time. Also, when they fixed them, they seem to have turned them off for a lot of people. Check your settings.

As for the posting failures. Yeah, I get them all the time too. I have noticed that while you're waiting for the bomb head to disappear, if you hit reload, oftentimes it'll go away and your post will be posted. Sometimes though, it just reloads and your post is not there.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8 chaser324  Moderator

A couple of engineers are supposed to be shifted back to GB this week, so hopefully we'll see these issues addressed in the near future.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@probablytuna: I get multiple posts appearing when I click to post once (not clicking again, simply waiting for it to say it either worked or didn't at which point I reload to check). Also, it's not about the posts being duplicates, simply if they are in a row. The same person cannot post more than twice in a row no matter what's inside the comment (you could in theory put as many duplicate posts in as you wanted, but you'd need another account to post in between at some point - though you'd get flagged for doing that).

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By probablytuna

@dixavd: Oh ok, I never knew that because I never post more than once. So that's probably why I assumed that was because of the duplicate posts.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By monkeyking1969

Yes, me too....of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I just hit F5 and confirm leaving the page. Works for me so far.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@sinusoidal: I just checked and my notifications are all on, but I don't receive them.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I think it has more to do with forms in general being slow, since I get similar problems when performing minor edits to a wiki.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this issue does get fixed soon, the forums have become quite a chore to navigate in recent weeks (compared to the past at least).

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not sure if this is happening to everyone, so I'll chime in and say that, yep, this slow-post-fail-then-worked-on-reload thing happens every time to me too.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By Seppli

Just reload page instantly. Your post/edits will appear like they normally would.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20 chaser324  Moderator

So, are people able to delete their own double posts or is that broken too? If it works, you guys would be doing the mods and the rest of the community a big service by cleaning up after yourselves. I know it's a pain, but until this gets sorted out on the technical side, it's really helpful.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@chaser324:

I deleted a double post of mine just last night, but we still have to put up with the "this message was deleted" messages.

As a Giant Bomb fan who has been here since day one, and as someone who once held quite a bit of resentment towards GameSpot, it's just really sad to see a site with broken features being less of a priority than a site that is getting a redesign.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Press "Post Replay"

Hit the Refresh Button Seconds Later

Post will be there

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Just reload page instantly. Your post/edits will appear like they normally would.

Press "Post Replay"

Hit the Refresh Button Seconds Later

Post will be there

I just hit F5 and confirm leaving the page. Works for me so far.

Sure this works, but it still is bollocks that we have to do this. Just because there is a workaround doesn't mean this is the optimal way to view the website, and it's not really enjoyable having to wait around for the posts to go through.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

This whole "we're either working on GB or GS" dance seems completely unacceptable for a company as large as CBS. It seems tough enough for engineers to fix things when they're actively trying, and then all I keep hearing is how there's no one left to work on GB as a result of GS. Hire. Some. People. For. God's. Sake.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jjweatherman: The reality of working for a huge company. You have to have meetings upon meetings and send memos and lick asses to get anything done. This is great when they do questionable stuff that they would get reprimanded for, but the company's too big to care. It's just terrible when they then actually need things.

I think it was in a recent Unprofessional Friday that Vinny said they couldn't spare a mic because CBS hasn't replaced the stuff that was stolen at E3. Three fucking months ago. If they can't get some new gear, I don't think more programmers is in the cards. (no matter how really, REALLY important it is)

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

This is what I do.

This whole "we're either working on GB or GS" dance seems completely unacceptable for a company as large as CBS. It seems tough enough for engineers to fix things when they're actively trying, and then all I keep hearing is how there's no one left to work on GB as a result of GS. Hire. Some. People. For. God's. Sake.

@joshwent said:

@jjweatherman: The reality of working for a huge company. You have to have meetings upon meetings and send memos and lick asses to get anything done. This is great when they do questionable stuff that they would get reprimanded for, but the company's too big to care. It's just terrible when they then actually need things.

I think it was in a recent Unprofessional Friday that Vinny said they couldn't spare a mic because CBS hasn't replaced the stuff that was stolen at E3. Three fucking months ago. If they can't get some new gear, I don't think more programmers is in the cards. (no matter how really, REALLY important it is)

Yeah that's pretty messed up. I really hope things pick up for them because it seems like GB keeps getting the shit end of the stick and it's going to start giving them a bad image for something that's outside of their control.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yupp, it's pretty annoying.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@seppli said:

This is what I do.

@jjweatherman said:

@joshwent said:

Yeah that's pretty messed up. I really hope things pick up for them because it seems like GB keeps getting the shit end of the stick and it's going to start giving them a bad image for something that's outside of their control.

Still, it's reality. CBSi, as big as they are, only have so many development and financial resources to pass around. And before they acquired Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, their existing websites (i.e. GameSpot, GameFAQs) had been running off of ancient web code and design. They likely only had enough engineers on staff to incrementally upgrade and maintain the sites. Then they had to build entirely new sites for Giant Bomb and Comic Vine because of legal reasons and then used that new infrastructure to rebuild GameSpot (otherwise creaking along on code approximately fifteen years old). So it doesn't surprise me that all hands have basically been on GameSpot's deck. According to the mods here, that's supposed to change fairly soon, though, as some devs are shifting over to bug fixes and maintenance on Giant Bomb.

And you know, it does suck that it is this way, but that's the way it goes. CBSi doesn't have infinite resources and rebuilding multiple websites from scratch in succession (Giant Bomb, Comic Vine, GameSpot) puts a strain on resources.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bigjeffrey

I think it's fixed

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#31  Edited By Humanity

@hailinel said:

@colourful_hippie said:

@seppli said:

This is what I do.

@jjweatherman said:

@joshwent said:

Still, it's reality. CBSi, as big as they are, only have so many development and financial resources to pass around. And before they acquired Giant Bomb and Comic Vine, their existing websites (i.e. GameSpot, GameFAQs) had been running off of ancient web code and design. They likely only had enough engineers on staff to incrementally upgrade and maintain the sites. Then they had to build entirely new sites for Giant Bomb and Comic Vine because of legal reasons and then used that new infrastructure to rebuild GameSpot (otherwise creaking along on code approximately fifteen years old). So it doesn't surprise me that all hands have basically been on GameSpot's deck. According to the mods here, that's supposed to change fairly soon, though, as some devs are shifting over to bug fixes and maintenance on Giant Bomb.

And you know, it does suck that it is this way, but that's the way it goes. CBSi doesn't have infinite resources and rebuilding multiple websites from scratch in succession (Giant Bomb, Comic Vine, GameSpot) puts a strain on resources.

But are we to believe that GameSpot didn't have any of their own engineers before GiantBomb was folded in? I understand big companies, I used to work for one. I understand meetings upon meetings, thats standard. I just don't understand why the GB engineering team, which I assumed was quite small, has been completely moved over to the GS project when Giant Bomb is still suffering technical difficulties - especially since they will use the same layout so I can only imagine GameSpot is going to have identical issues only they have a much bigger userbase. When the GameSpot site finally goes live, and then goes to shit because of bugs and twice as many users breaking things, are we going to hear that the engineers need to fix GameSpot first and when thats ironed out then they'll fix Giant Bomb? Also the almost complete lack of acknowledgment is a bit frustrating. Rorie wrote a few posts saying "we're aware of the issue" but this isn't just one thing that has been happening for a week or two - it has been a whole bunch of things dating back from the very launch of the redesign several months back.

Worst of all, each time I write about how the site isn't getting fixed and how new issues keep popping up that aren't being resolved I feel like a complete dick, like I shouldn't bother the guys about their website not working very well, I shouldn't be a whiner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hire. Some. People. For. God's. Sake.

Hiring new engineers only works if a smooth and timely transition is feasible. Did you take a look on the job description that floated around when Dave Snider left? Apparently you have to be a Web 2.0 wizard with a very specific cutting-edge skill set to handle the Giantbomb backend. And god knows how well documented and readable the codebase is at this point since it had to be hacked together in a hurry.

tl;dr -- It is not quite as simple as hiring a few dudes. I wonder what those promised Gamespot engineers are able to do around here.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately the site is busted in a handful of different ways right now. They acknowledged this on Unprofessional Fridays last week, when Alexis said something like "We're making good progress on the Gamespot redesign, once that's out we can focus on Giantbomb again and fix EVERYHING."

...so yeah, get used to the issues for awhile, I guess.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman

@atomic_dumpling: I was thinking long-term. If they hire people and get them up to speed now, we may see progress in a year. If they continue with this current ramshackle engineering team, things will be shit forever. You have to start somewhere.

You're probably right about the skill set being super specific, which is unfortunate. I'm just so tired of the glaring issues that have long gone unfixed. It's damaging to the site.