Roku app feedback thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By nutter

@nutter: Tagging @frobie: on this Roku app not launching issue, per Rorie's suggestion.

bigpicnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Neither the regular or beta (2.0) Roku apps seem to be loading. Both show launch screen then crash back to roku home.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie: @rorie:

Any word on the Roku app crashing on launch? It's been weeks and that's my primary way of using the site. Thanks!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@nutter said:

@rorie:

Any word on the Roku app crashing on launch? It's been weeks and that's my primary way of using the site. Thanks!

Hey, apologies for lack of word on this. To give you all a recap, Roku changed their SDK this year which is requiring a fairly full rewrite of the app in order to get it approved (some of you probably recall earlier this year when we submitted an app to them and it simply sat, unapproved, for a while while we had a decent beta build). So we went back to the drawing board and work is proceeding on it; unfortunately there have been other things for the engineer to work on in the meantime as well as some PTO and out-sick-days. But it is still actively being worked on and hopefully when it's shipshape it'll be better than what we have now. Sorry for the amount of time it's taken!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I understand. Thanks for the heads-up. Knowing that it's not just me and that it's being worked in helps.

Thanks again!

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/go-rig-or-go-home/2300-12538/

This video kicked me back to the menu page at 1:16:XX. No option to resume, but hitting Play resumed my progress only to kick me back to the menu a few seconds later. If I try to resume the video it keeps kicking me back. Fully exiting the Giant Bomb channel and tracking forward through the video to 1:16:XX just kicks me out again.

owlnostic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Attempting to watch any of the recent destiny-2-raid videos causes my Roku to reboot after about <~10secs of video play. 100% reproducible.

Mode7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting kicked out of the Destiny Raid video. Part 1 at 4 hours 50 minutes. Also kicks me out of the video when paused.

Liesmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My roku app just started crashing at launch too. Started last week with videos not opening, now just crashed without even loading. Anyone else having this problem? or does anyone have a link to the beta app? Lost it a while ago.

phishyphishy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same with me. Been working fine for months, and now all the sudden is crashing on roku3

spookyfaust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Same here. Crashes while loading.

MrFixIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

Please fix the Roku app, it crashes at launch.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bumping to keep this thread alive. Crashes at launch for me as well.

ryudo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Roku APP won't load any video. My Desktop app won't load any video. The website won't load nay video. Can someone PLEASE HELP! I would like to know why I am the only one having this issue as a paid user.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#167 frobie  Staff

Hey all, a new version of the Roku app has been uploaded. Waiting on Roku's testing before it becomes official. In the meantime, it can be added to your Roku via the Add Channel page at https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=HMQ2MJ

Changelog:

• Increased performance on loading the app and playing the video.
  • Reworked UI to decrease the amount of clicks required to play a video.
  • Fixed account syncing problem where sync did not happen when generating new codes.
  • Tested against Roku 1, Roku 2, Roku 4, and Roku Stick.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the giantbomb Roku app on a daily basis (on a Roku 2) so I'm happy to hear this.

Some feedback:
- fast-forwarding through a video is really slow if the video is longer than an hour
- i have noticed a bug where some videos keep stopping every few seconds

dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By dantez

I posted the following in the main bug thread, but it may be more relevant here, so I'll copy and paste it over:

Love the new redesign on the Roku app, but unfortunately since said update it is currently unusable for me because all video's are now way out of sync.

I'm using the Roku stick.

Edit: It seems linking my premium account is the cause of the problem. As when I unlinked it the problem was fixed, and videos play fine. I then relinked, and the problem returned. Tried multiple times, and the issue is recreated every time. So definitely seems to be what is causing it.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By frobie  Staff

@dantez When you say out of sync, do you mean the audio is not in sync with the video?

@nick What Roku version are you using and which videos did you see the stuttering on?

dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie: Yes, the audio is ahead of the video. The video is actually being played slow. As in at a low framerate/in slow motion, but audio is normal, thus they are not matching up.

rihaanshim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By rihaanshim

I can verify that with the Roku 3, the video is running slow. Must be a frame issue. Only when logged in as a premium member. Works perfectly otherwise. It's strange, because even the 'free' videos slow down when logged in.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By frobie  Staff
dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By dantez

@frobie: Just tried it. Unfortunately no change. Deleted orignally installed app, installed this one, re linked my account, and same problem is still happening.

ebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By ebk

Perhaps the 1080p60 versions are being served? I'm on a Roku 3 and this is identical to how that manifested before the switch to serving lower quality videos. I've watched older videos from before the switch to 1080p60 and they play properly, as was also the case back then.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 frobie  Staff

@dantez Highlight the GB app and hit the * key. Can you confirm that it says, "Version 2.1 - build 2".

@ebk Yes, same issue. In the previous build, the video url set was to the highest bitrate available to the user's account status. In this latest build, each video is given a set of different video qualities. The Roku would then choose the one that best fits the user's bandwidth. Unfortunately, it looks like the Roku can't handle the highest bitrate we offer. Might be Roku version related. I've taken out that video quality in this latest build.

dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By dantez

@frobie: No it actually says build 1. Which is the one I got from the link you provided.

Also turns out @ebk is totally right. I just played a UPF from July 2015, and the video is fine. So yea, I guess it is pulling a higher quality on newer videos when premium is linked.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 frobie  Staff

@dantez Well, this is an embarrassing mistake on my part. I've uploaded the wrong package. I've since uploaded the correct version. Please try the link again. You may need to run System Update in your Roku Settings to see the updated version. I had to do it on my end.

dantez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie: I redownloaded, it now says build 2. The problem seems to be solved. Thanks for the timely fix.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frobie: Roku 2, and sorry i did a bad job explaining, it's not stuttering but the video actually quits out. it happens every time on part 1 of the destiny 2 raid video around the 2 hour mark. i haven't had a chance to try the latest build yet though. I'll install it later tonight and try that destiny 2 video again to confirm.

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Carboot_Soul

@frobie: Thanks for this, I can confirm the audio bug/lag has gone on that new version.

My only bit of feedback is the "shows" method for displaying content is nice however it does mean some videos are left out. The most obvious is "events" and "features" which contains all of the E3 and Extra life coverage. I suspect this is more to do with that content not being given a "show" category in the first place. Not a fault of the app, but could be annoying if future videos are not attached to a "show" category.

rihaanshim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By rihaanshim

@frobie: Problem solved - thank you!

Is there any chance in the future for watching a live broadcast through the app? Sorry if this question has been answered before.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 frobie  Staff

@carboot_soul As part of the site redesign, the videos on site will all be categorized into their own shows at some point. When that happens, the shows will appear in the app without going through this beta process.

@rihaanshim Perhaps in the future. The Roku docs does mention support for live streaming. But this iteration is just to get a working app through Roku's approval process to replace the official one which is broken atm.

customotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stemage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#186  Edited By Stemage

@frobie: This build doesn't appear to launch for me. I just picked up the new Roku Ultra yesterday. The channel still in the store just crashes on start. This test build makes it to the splash screen before crashing back to the home screen.

brycewinters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stemage: Same situation for me. It was working fine about a week or two ago but out of nowhere just won't open. This is also on a Roku Ultra and nothing on my end has changed.

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 frobie  Staff

@stemage@brycewinters Can y'all confirm the build you're using is "Version 2.1 - Build 2" when highlighting the channel and hitting the * key. Also, do y'all have access to a mac or a windows with curl installed?

Stemage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Stemage

@frobie: Yes, confirmed "Version 2.1 - Build 2".

RE: The Ruku Ultra:

Model: 4660X Roku Ultra

Software: 8.0.0 - build 3120-46

I don't have curl installed on Windows, but I can make something happen for you if you need it. I'd be happy to help.

Skoodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also have the newest Roku ultra 4660 with version 2.1 build 2 and it crashes after the Giant Bomb name appears on screen. i would also be willing to help test.

brycewinters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By brycewinters

@frobie: Confirmed Version 2.1 - Build 2. I have a windows machine but don't have curl installed. Willing to help, though, just need to know what to do or what you're looking for.

Stubstub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3600X Roku Stick

8.0.0 build 4088-24

With GB channel version 2.1 build 2

The channel started crashing right after the bomb screen last week. Updated from build 1 to 2 to see if that would help, but it didn’t.

kungfugrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using a Roku 3 and version is 2.1, build 2.

Since the update to this version, I can't get a single video to play. Sometimes after hitting Play, it tries to load the video for a second before dumping me back to the UI. Other videos just get stuck loading and the progress bar doesn't move.

Also, the color for some of the show logos is off. Anything using the classic Giant Bomb logo has blue instead of red. Blue Bombin', Beast in the East, and Betting the FarmVille are all tinted blue.

kungfugrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By kungfugrip

Reinstalled the channel, same issues. Cold booted the Roku and did another reinstall. It seems to be working now. I'll post another update if I have issues again.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I also have the same problem that @stemage@brycewinters have. Loads to Giant Bomb Splash screen and then crashes back to menu. I also have the new roku box.

Model 3900X - Roku Express

Software 8.0.0 Build 3120-51

app version 2.1 build 2

frobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 frobie  Staff

I thought I could have y'all direct load a video using a curl command but it turns out that can't be done outside of dev. We'll put in an order for a Roku Ultra and run tests against it.

puckoff23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Model 4640x - Roku Ultra

Software version 7.7.0 build 4154-29

App version 2.1 build 2

For the last 4 days I've had to link my premium membership in the app. Works fine once I do, but will have to re-link the next day.

Model 4630R - Roku Premiere+

Software version 7.7.0 build 4154-29

App version 2.1 build 2

App will not launch. Giant Bomb logo comes up, then immediately sends me back to the main menu

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crashes immediately for me too now. I think it was working fine before I upgraded to OS8.

ebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just updated a Roku 3 (4200x) to Roku OS 8 and immediately experienced the same crash at launch with the beta app, to add another bit of data since the focus currently seems to be on the Roku Ultra rather than the OS update.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Nick

The app was working up until yesterday when I started getting crashes immediately after launching the app on a Roku 2 with app version 2.1 build 2. The current version officially available (1.5 i think?) always crashes, but these beta builds have always worked fine, until now.

edit: it looks like a lot of people are getting crashes with a new Roku OS update, I may have updated my OS too now that i think about it, i guess i can check the version number when i get home