Roku app feedback thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chickentubchef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm actually having an issue where I can't even get the app to load on my device. Just picked up a Roku Streaming Stick and I added the Giant Bomb app to my device. When I click Giant Bomb, I get a loading screen and then it immediately crashes back to my home screen. I uninstalled and reinstalled the app and have the same issue. I also tried restarting my device and that also did not help. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-609ba772e99db
deactivated-609ba772e99db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chickentubchef:

Are you using the giantbomb app directly from the roku store? if so it's broken. Try the beta version

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/roku-app-not-working-use-the-beta-version-1808125/

chickentubchef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deviationer: ahh, that was the issue. Beta app seems to be working great. Thanks for the heads up!

Avatar image for goulash_enjoyer
goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archived shows are still showing up under the active shows section.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#263  Edited By rorie

@bummey: Can you take a quick picture of this the next time you see it? I don't have a Roku handy to try this out today.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By goulash_enjoyer
@rorie said:

@bummey: Can you take a quick picture of this the next time you see it? I don't have a Roku handy to try this out today.

No Caption Provided

You can see Beast in the East, Betting the Farmville, and Blue Bombin' just under the new video scroller, and one tick on the Down arrow key brings up this

No Caption Provided

Scrolling down to Archived Shows section, it's exactly the same. So, Archived Shows are being populated in the Shows category, and Shows are being populated in the Archived Shows category.

Tried editing this a few times and it still comes out wonky... text in weird spots, images different sizes. Oh well.

king3pj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By king3pj

I'm a big fan of the Roku app. I use it on a daily basis. The only thing missing for me is a Breaking Brad video category. That or a way to search for videos through the app would be nice. I would like to go back and watch the Breaking Brad Demon Souls and Bloodborne videos but right now I can't find a way to do that outside of sitting at my PC.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By goulash_enjoyer
@king3pj said:

I'm a big fan of the Roku app. I use it on a daily basis. The only thing missing for me is a Breaking Brad video category. That or a way to search for videos through the app would be nice. I would like to go back and watch the Breaking Brad Demon Souls and Bloodborne videos but right now I can't find a way to do that outside of sitting at my PC.

Yeah. Unless a video is in a Show category there's no way to watch it, newer videos that get bumped out of the main scroller after a week or two can disappear, and even then I think the Roku can only show X many videos in a category. For instance, I see that Persona 4's playlist recently got populated beyond 21 videos but it still cuts off at 100. edit: I should have double checked before posting. Last time I checked, a month or three ago?, P4's show stopped at 100. Guess it got updated again, or Roku's old 100 video restriction has changed.

After getting the Roku I can't go back to watching any kind of longer video on a desk/laptop screen. Couch and TV or bust. A way to search and view the entire video catalog would do a lot more for usability than any other little fixes or updates. But fuck if I know what that takes to implement. <can't set the VCR clock joke>

ThomasVivaldi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king3pj: I'm missing all sorts of categories. Like features, endurance runs, and events. And Breaking Brad.

BTStreleckis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though the app has been working great for me, the lack of further categories like features and events has bothered me too. Case in point, with all of the uploads happening now around E3, the top feed is nothing but trailers, so the archive of the XBOX Press Briefing stream has already been cycled out.

At least I can rely on the site and the YouTube page for stuff like this.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

The e3 trailer spam kicked all the press conference commentary videos off the main sidescroller feed and they're inaccessible now.

edit: They're on youtube. Well, still. Roku's youtube app is bad.

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bummey said:

Yeah. Unless a video is in a Show category there's no way to watch it, newer videos that get bumped out of the main scroller after a week or two can disappear, and even then I think the Roku can only show X many videos in a category. For instance, I see that Persona 4's playlist recently got populated beyond 21 videos but it still cuts off at 100. edit: I should have double checked before posting. Last time I checked, a month or three ago?, P4's show stopped at 100. Guess it got updated again, or Roku's old 100 video restriction has changed.

I'm only seeing 56 to 155 - so for me at least, I'm only getting 100 still, just the most recent 100.

And I'll second the rest of the that it's a real shame that E3 isn't going to be watchable on the roku. I could have sworn that events was one of the categories that was available at one point...

evilmax17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we get an E3 event category?

No way to get to the press conferences currently, they disappeared off of the recent shows list too quickly with all of the trailers.

jeffhesser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilmax17: Second that! so much good content and no way to watch it in the app... a category or a search function.

Tincan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we get an E3 event category?

No way to get to the press conferences currently, they disappeared off of the recent shows list too quickly with all of the trailers.

Here here! It sucks that any E3 content that gets pushed off the recent list is inaccessible.

Crazy_Horse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Are future updates for the roku app planned? Resume, search, etc?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Are future updates for the roku app planned? Resume, search, etc?

There is some business-level stuff that is out of our hands at the moment that needs to be resolved before we can make the app the official one. Unfortunately that is all a bit above my paygrade but I will try to needle the people involved where I can.

Crazy_Horse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

HighPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By HighPriest

Has anyone else noticed a number of video series removed from easy access on the roku app recently? The Persona Endurance Run, Steal My Sunshine, and perhaps others seem to have been removed.

EDIT: OK, I appear to be an idiot, they seem to have been migrated below to an archived shows area.

GrumpyBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My app won't load videos. Using the latest Beta version from the most recent link above. Even uninstalled and reinstalled, app is crashing my Roku TV. Freezes when I click on a video and reboots to main TV menu. Anyone else having this issue?

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My app won't load videos. Using the latest Beta version from the most recent link above. Even uninstalled and reinstalled, app is crashing my Roku TV. Freezes when I click on a video and reboots to main TV menu. Anyone else having this issue?

I just tried a couple of videos on my P-series. The app froze on the logo screen screen the first time I loaded it up, but worked fine after backing out and reloading. So inconclusive, I guess.

BigCat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By BigCat8

I want to echo the disappointment in the lack of a Breaking Brad category. I wanted to watch Alexander and Friends before diving into Ponce de Leon and Friends, and I'm stuck watching it on my phone screen instead of my TV. Not a deal breaker, but certainly not ideal.

Gatorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Gatorman

As of yesterday the only screen I get on my Roku says loading. Yes I have the beta version of the app. Are you guys planning on fixing this anytime soon? I have three different roku's in my house and they are all having the same problem. All I see is a loading screen.

LinktheSquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm seeing the same. Infinite loading screen.

Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@gatorman: lol this thread is over a year old and they haven't even been able to publish the beta to the store to replace the official broken channel. It ain't happening.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

Same for me, the roku channel is completely broken now, hanging at the initial Loading screen.

@bacon said:

@gatorman: lol this thread is over a year old and they haven't even been able to publish the beta to the store to replace the official broken channel. It ain't happening.

cool thanks for your contribution

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

It's been working sporadically over the past two days. It still hangs on loading more often than not, however.

Carboot_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using the Beta channel and as of today it has been updated and is no longer usable. The video is playing slowly causing the audio to go out of sync within a few seconds. This is seen on the latest Game Tapes watching on a Roku box which is about year old. Had this problem a while back when the video would only play in a high bitrate which the box can't handle. Hopefully the developer can put this fallback back in the app?! Is anyone else seeing this?

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

The app got unlinked from my account today, so I went to the link account screen and it directed me to giantbomb.com/roku/activate/ which is a 404. The correct url the appearas to be: giantbomb.com/roku/

Don't know why the account link page changed on the roku display...

Also, I wanted to finish the recent God Hand video from where I left off this morning and now it's missing from the roku. It should be between Mega Man 11 and the NBA video. None of the premium videos are showing up even though it reports my account as being linked.

Exited, reopened, unlinked, exited, reopened, linked, exited, reopened, and premium videos now appear. But all videos lose sync after about a minute and it's just a horrible, unwatchable mess. Whatever changed between ~11am pst today and now, yikes.

Using the Beta channel and as of today it has been updated and is no longer usable. The video is playing slowly causing the audio to go out of sync within a few seconds. This is seen on the latest Game Tapes watching on a Roku box which is about year old. Had this problem a while back when the video would only play in a high bitrate which the box can't handle. Hopefully the developer can put this fallback back in the app?! Is anyone else seeing this?

Yep, shit's fucked.
SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is weird. I had to re link tonight but it's working totally fine.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Here to report video being slow and behind the audio, as others reported today. Beta app isn’t really usable.

I had to relink (like others). Performance was immediately off. Tried multiple videos, updated my Roku, rebooted, still no good.

goulash_enjoyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By goulash_enjoyer

I'm not seeing the audio/video sync and slow down issues this morning.

My biggest gripe still remains, after all this time, that the show categories need some work done. Once videos are off the main scroller it's impossible to watch them.

P00hfLinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having an issue on two different Rokus. The app just crashes on load, over and over. Any ideas???

Witness41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just tried this evening, audio and video are still way out of sync

mystictheory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By mystictheory

Found a solution to play any GB video on Roku with "Web Video Caster" for Android. Install the assiciated Roku channel, and use the built-in browser in the Android app to log in to GB and select a video to cast. I'm guessing that selecting the "High" or lower video quality setting before casting would allow this method to work on older Roku models. Confirmed that this doesn't rely on transcoding -- once the video is playing I can quit the Android app.

As for general feedback about why I even care to use Roku given that I also have Chromecast... Roku's Private Listening mode w/ Android Roku app is awesome for the TV in my bedroom.

The beta version works for me but not without issues when it comes to finding content. For instance, right now the ExtraLife videos have pushed all content from the recent list, and there is no way to navigate to other recent content using the Roku app.