Site won't work on Chrome(in certain situations)

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

The site won't for for me on Chrome when I am up at school for some reason.

To clarify, when I am anywhere but my university, the site works perfectly for me on any web browser, including chrome. But when I am at school in my dorm no links, buttons, or submit's work(I click, and they literally just do nothing). Now I originally thought that this was due to my Schools random and strict internet policy(example:They recently started blocking sites about gaming between 8am and 10PM, but only the big ones. Sites like giantbomb and polygon are not blocked), but giantbomb works perfectly fine up at school on any other web browser(I am currently using IE, sadly). Also it's worth noting that giantbomb worked perfectly fine on chrome up at school before the site updage, this issue arose after the push.

Any insight into the matter would be greatly appreciated.

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By alexisg

Sounds like your school is blocking one of the CBS servers. This is the same issue which happens to people who run Adblock. The old site was probably not getting blocked since it didn't have as many CBS connections.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexisg said:

Sounds like your school is blocking one of the CBS servers. This is the same issue which happens to people who run Adblock. The old site was probably not getting blocked since it didn't have as many CBS connections.

Indeed, the day after I made this post they put up a full ban for it. Well I had a good run, 3 years and they finally blocked it.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@alexisg: What exactly is the issue that happens to users of Adblock? I have it but have it set to be paused on Giant Bomb. Could it be the cause of all links/buttons becoming completely unresponsive at times (which then requires me to reload the page, after which everything works fine)?

alexisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: Basically adblock stops one one of the cbs javascripts from loading and firing correctly. For whatever reason it kills all the links and buttons on the site when this happens. We are working with the people who maintain this file to see if we can make this not happen but priorities for people running adblock are not always at the top of the list. White listing GiantBomb should work for you as you are a paid member and won't see any ads anyhow. We are trying to resolve this problem anyhow since we end up getting a ton of support requests that end up being related to AdBlock.