#1 Posted by dudeglove (13683 posts) -

So I've noticed lately that if I leave a page open too long in a Chrome or Chromium-based browser, when I eventually come to posting something on said page, be it a video comment, forum post, or PM, I get that typical red banner that says "An error occurred" or some such. Recently I've seen this message appear for the first time while attempting to post in a PM

• The CSRF token is invalid. Please try to resubmit the form.

Anyway, it's not permanent. In all cases the bug is resolved by basically refreshing the page (which might be a bummer if someone's just typed out a massive blog post only to lose all of it?). They all appear to be some sort of timeout issue, though can't be sure. Am wondering if anyone else is experiencing these?

Desktop browser, chrome, windows 7 64 bit etc. Not sure as to mobile.

#2 Posted by thatpinguino (2846 posts) -

I have experienced that on Chrome with the same OS setup.

Staff
#3 Posted by jSlack (1186 posts) -

@dudeglove: Indeed. It's a form protection issue, and it may be too sensitive. We've received several bug reports about this. Going to see what we can do to make it better.

In the past, the user would have been notified that they replied successfully, when in reality it was a quiet error. We've now recently enabled better error messaging there, and that's why people are seeing this now.

#4 Posted by VichusSmith (189 posts) -

I got the "CSRF token" message today, while trying to post a comment. I figured that having a link in my comment would be the problem , and that worked. What's going on?

#5 Posted by euantor (79 posts) -

@yotaruvegeta: CSRF tokens are usually time based and tied to sessions. I'd assume you'd left the page open for a while (quite a long while usually) before posting?

#6 Posted by TravisRex (819 posts) -

Happens on mobile as well

#7 Edited by liquiddragon (3286 posts) -

Yeah this happens to me on my Nexus 7 tablet. Can't seen to comment but posts on forums are ok? Also that comment window is ridiculously small...

No Caption Provided

#8 Posted by VichusSmith (189 posts) -

@euantor said:

@yotaruvegeta: CSRF tokens are usually time based and tied to sessions. I'd assume you'd left the page open for a while (quite a long while usually) before posting?

No, that is not correct.

#10 Posted by wcarle (375 posts) -

Happens on mobile as well

What device are you using, my Galaxy and iPhone seem to work for me.

@euantor said:

CSRF tokens can expire and are tied to your session, so this could be one potential cause.

I got the "CSRF token" message today, while trying to post a comment. I figured that having a link in my comment would be the problem , and that worked. What's going on?

Were you on desktop or mobile (if so what device)? Which browser?

These issues can be hard to pin down so if you can give us any additional information that would really help!

Staff
#11 Posted by VichusSmith (189 posts) -

@wcarle: I'm on desktop, on Firefox.