this is kinda ridiculous (gb videoplayer)

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By super2j

I have been using youtube for all my gb video needs. Today the dead island video was cut short there so i came here to watch the full version. I set it to streaming (bc progressive could take some time to get back to the 9 min point and I really didnt want to wait) and this is the image I am seeing, are you guys also seeing this? cause I dont remember the old videoplayer doing anything like this ever. I guess there was a reason i go straight to youtube when I see a video on the homepage. Giantbomb is a fantastic site, aside from this blemish, but this blemish is a giant red visible pimple right on the nose.

I really want to know, am I the only one who is seeing this(as well as lower framerate and overall lower quality) and do you find this tolerable?

it was worse when in motion.
it was worse when in motion.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It's supposed to automatically detect the quality of your connection and show the proper video depending on whether you have a good enough connection for HD or not.

Instead it just automatically assumes you've got a bad connection, takes forever to load, and shows you some sort of weird JPG'd slideshow of a bad YouTube render playing on an old Amiga II as seen by someone with severe astigmatism.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's supposed to automatically detect the quality of your connection and show the proper video depending on whether you have a good enough connection for HD or not.

Instead it just automatically assumes you've got a bad connection, takes forever to load, and shows you some sort of weird JPG'd slideshow of a bad YouTube render playing on an old Amiga II as seen by someone with severe astigmatism.

that is a fantastic description, way better then my pimple comment.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here. I haven't been able to properly watch a video on the site since the upgrade. It's not my Internet:

No Caption Provided

Dragon_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh but that is what Dead Island Riptide actually looks. Bahaha!

But when it comes to the video play on Giant bomb although it takes forever for it to load (When everyone in my house is streaming Netflix) it always works. I do play the video in Progressive on HD and everything is fucking great!

I guess maybe don't use the Streaming option?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zella

yeah same happens to me and I've got a fine connection, it doesn't happen super often and normally doesn't last long enough to be annoying. It mostly sucks when it happens when watching a Flight Club video, how will I see all the switches and dials!?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get a shitty image streaming as well, but I have had absolutely no issues whatsoever using progressive HD. Image quality is great and the videos buffer extremely quick. Here is my connection:

No Caption Provided

MikeJFlick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeJFlick

I'll let you know what sort of quality my premium content video is when it's done downloading, got only 6 hours left, meanwhile I've watched the miniseries and first 3 episodes of battlestar galatica on amazon prime in HD............

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

What's bananas and quite shit is that embedded YouTube is a premium feature. I would have thought encouraging users to stay on the site for their video content was the way forward.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

What's bananas and quite shit is that embedded YouTube is a premium feature. I would have thought encouraging users to stay on the site for their video content was the way forward.

Jeff kinda answered that last night on Tumblr. http://jeffgerstmann.tumblr.com/post/48672831348/im-between-premium-membership-payments-for-a-couple

"It’s one of those weird “we get 100% of the ad money from our player but not from YouTube” things. There’s some talk about making some changes to the ad stuff on our YouTube channel, and if that happens we may end up revisiting that restriction. But that’s a lot of ifs and I’m not really in that conversation, so I don’t really know where it’s at right now.

I think there’s a case to be made for going all YouTube all the time, but I ain’t no businessman."

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Alexander

@alexander said:

Jeff kinda answered that last night on Tumblr. http://jeffgerstmann.tumblr.com/post/48672831348/im-between-premium-membership-payments-for-a-couple

"It’s one of those weird “we get 100% of the ad money from our player but not from YouTube” things. There’s some talk about making some changes to the ad stuff on our YouTube channel, and if that happens we may end up revisiting that restriction. But that’s a lot of ifs and I’m not really in that conversation, so I don’t really know where it’s at right now.

I think there’s a case to be made for going all YouTube all the time, but I ain’t no businessman."

Well I can understand that, what I am thinking is that if people are running into problems with the default player, visiting YouTube to see the videos is probably less agreeable than watching YT on the GB site where at least there is page advertising CBSi does control. I wouldn't have discovered the YT option were it not for the problems I've had in the past with the player, I think continuing to iron out that make it a non-issue, but as it is I've subscribed to the YT channel and I'm watching about 50/50 of the content there and here.

I assumed the whole reason for the YT option was because the standard player has issues for some people some of the time.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By audioBusting

Yeah, that sounds like a connection issue. Maybe this thread can help.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mosespippy

Same thing happens to me. It was especially bad for the Bioshock Infinite and God Mode quick looks, and is less bad for stuff like I Love Mondays. I just switched to progressive mode. Hopefully that'll fix the problem for me.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to think my connection was fast.... in any case it is not slow because I used to use slow dsl flawlessly on the site like two years ago.

No Caption Provided

jamesg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the new player is trash. html5 never works and streaming mode takes forever to load. stuck using the youtube option.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

usualy get this problem with videos put up the same day, It has always happend, yesterday it took 10 miniuets for the 1.5 miniut splinter cell trailer to load, eventualy I just downloaded it as privlaged by users.

But I can watch the older videos with no problem.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, the new player is proprietary poo-poo.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexander said:

That's probably the dumbest thing I've seen him say.

We can still go to YouTube. Having it as "Premium Subscriber Content" just makes it look like they trying to put one over on their users. And not a very good "one" at that.

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By tread311

Yeah I wish there was some way they could use the Youtube player for premium videos as well. My connection at work handles the Youtube stuff waaay better than the GB players and that is where I do most of my viewing.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ravelle

@jamesg said:

the new player is trash. html5 never works and streaming mode takes forever to load. stuck using the youtube option.

Progressive seems to have the best speeds but not much.

Sometimes I think the problem has been resolved and then out of nowhere when the video's half way through bam! it freezes and from that moment on it's unwatchable.