Unusually slow downloading speeds on videos.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Trying to download some of the premium videos and some of the download speeds are ridiculous. some videos take around an hour, some take up to 3 hours. some don't even give a time estimate on how much time is left., pausing and unpausing them sort of speeds it up weirdly enough, but i guess im surprised, as usually downloading videos here in the past has been like lightning fast.

(Using the latest version of Google Chrome on a Windows machine, internet speed is around the range of 250mbs)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@mrfluke said:

Trying to download some of the premium videos and some of the download speeds are ridiculous. some videos take around an hour, some take up to 3 hours. some don't even give a time estimate on how much time is left., pausing and unpausing them sort of speeds it up weirdly enough, but i guess im surprised, as usually downloading videos here in the past has been like lightning fast.

(Using the latest version of Google Chrome on a Windows machine, internet speed is around the range of 250mbs)

I haven't seen anything widespread along these lines; is this still occurring for you? Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie said:
@mrfluke said:

I haven't seen anything widespread along these lines; is this still occurring for you? Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

It's alright, and actually just tested it again now just to make sure and I think we're good,

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By shiro2809

I am having this issue, sometimes the download is 10 minutes, other times it's hours. I've had the estimate jump up to 24+ hours for just a 2gb video.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having this issue, sometimes the download is 10 minutes, other times it's hours. I've had the estimate jump up to 24+ hours for just a 2gb video.

How long has this been going on for you?

Mortimer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mortimer

Chiming in here to say that I have a similar issue, which has been coming and going. About a few months (maybe 5-6 weeks) ago videos would sometimes start buffering, then playing 2 seconds, buffering, etc... Made it unwatchable, basically.

I was watching a Bombcast when it first happened, and decided to download it instead. Speeds started fine, almost maxing my line. But then it would get to 1.5GB downloaded (out of whatever the file size was, it was not relative to the file size), and the speeds would just plummet to around 100 kB/s.

I'm now having this exact issue again. It's 100% reproducible. Gif below, of downloading VinnyVania: Bloodstained: Part 07, which is what I was watching when the issue reappeared just now.

No Caption Provided

However, this is not an issue with all videos. The latest Hotspot downloads just fine at full speed. Meanwhile, VinnyVania: Bloodstained: Part 08 starts at slow speeds and never goes any higher. I can't find a pattern to which downloads are fine, and which aren't. Here we see VV Bloodstained 8 starting at abysmal speeds, while Hotspot starts at the expected speed.

No Caption Provided

I do not run a browser adblocker on GB.com. I do run a pihole DNS, but the issue persists even when I deactivate it (in which case it should be using the Google ECS DNS servers instead). I am in Norway, if that makes any difference. I'll answer any questions I can to help with this.

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shiro2809

@rorie said:
@shiro2809 said:

How long has this been going on for you?

Sorry for the late reply! It's been happening for quite awhile now. I wanna say at least two months. I try every few days to see if it'll work properly or not. and similar to Mortimer, I don't use adblock here or anything of the sort, and sometimes it downloads fast and then just drops to much slower speeds towards the end

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiro2809: Are you on any kind of pihole or anything? Where are you physically located if you don't mind me asking?

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I have no clue what a pihole is, so I'd assume not? I live in the midwest, Ohio.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hi, I have the same issues here. Downloading takes either 5 minutes or an hour, regardless of the size. Glad to see I'm not the only one with some issues, I thought my internet was dying or something.

IK2K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanna chime in and say that I have trouble viewing and downloading videos since about a week now, with speeds too low to stream even in low quality and downloads showing a spike in speed and then dropping down to >50kb/s for minutes before spiking again.

I am from germany, gigabit connection, no troubles on other sites.

topgun01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am having similar issues where videos keep buffering and downloads are very slow while this is not an issue on other sites. Has anyone found anything that has fixed the issue for them?