Video Problems? Get in here!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

um_yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

not a bug, but with all the hooplah over flash this week, im wondering if you guys plan on updating the HTML5 streaming so it can buffer, i understand that this is something that is possible, similar to the progressive streaming, if not, using the download will basically do the same thing but would be more convenient to have the player cache it instead

mattclassic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By mattclassic

Well, speed problems continue to persist.

Again, no other sites are affected. Nothing has changed on my end. I've tried multiple browsers, flushed my DNS, multiple speed tests, contacted my ISP, the whole nine. Just like the last time this happened. Nothing has been fixed. The only conclusion I can make is that the problem is on GB's (or rather Amazon's) end. I still can't watch premium videos, something I'm paying actual money for, on this site because of constant stuttering and speed issues. It's been well over a week now. I would appreciate at least some kind of support or acknowledgement.

PXAbstraction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By PXAbstraction

Random blips of corruption are still happening on every video. Standard player, streaming mode. It's particularly bad on Metal Gear Scanlon 4: Part 01 which I'm watching right now. This has been persisting pretty much since E3 started.

Shnippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently I've just been watching what I can on the YouTube channel, because it usually loads faster and is more reliable there. But whenever I watch videos on the site, I'm finding they freeze up the moment what I'm watching catches up to the buffering, which is usually in the first minute of a video, try to pause the video, or try to leave fullscreen the entire website crashes. I get the "kill page" warning, the sad face thing comes up, and I have to close chrome and open it again.

swordmagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfhazard said:

I've been having a problem watching videos in the player. I always download HD to watch video and recently it has been VERY slow. Like half FPS but the audio is normal speed. I'm on Chrome and a HP laptop. Restarting my computer fixes the problem for a limited amount of time and then no video works again. Any help?

Anyone else?

Avatar image for pastor_richards
pastor_richards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using Chrome and NONE of the videos are playing. Not sure if it's the typical memory leak from chrome or if it's a site problem. Any suggestions?

Catlicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a persistent very small delay on all videos for me, with the sound at a normal speed. I'm using the latest version of Chrome.

I notice it at about 10 minutes in, and the delay gets to about a second after 20-30ish minutes. It's really anoying to have the audio out of sync.

satch919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a lot of video problems lately too. Videos won't load, audio isn't in sync, and sometimes the video player just disappears from the page.

Avatar image for anonymousbroccoli
AnonymousBroccoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-07172015/2300-10509/

Last week's UPF cuts off at 1:47:52—shortly after the Mean Bean Machine segment starts. I got the HD download shortly after it was posted, at 3322 MB. It's still showing the same file size today, so I assume it's still the same file. Streaming version cuts off at the same point.

The "Broken Video?" button isn't working for me either. Windows 8.1 64-bit, Firefox 39.0, Flash 18.0.0.209.

foritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windows 10/Chrome 44.

I'm also noticing the audio/video sync is kind of screwed recently. Audio seems to slowly creep ahead of video, this is especially noticeable when watching Metal Gear Scanlon.

I'm using the HTML5 player, usually "enbiggened" on separate monitor. Flash player does not have this issue but instead munches a lot of CPU for video decode/scaling.

um_yeah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did they change something to the recording equipment over the last month or so?

seemed to start around the time of the E3 streams, various artefacting that usually happen around the edge of one of the layers, i thought perhaps it was just the source video since most of the times the guys all acknowledged the glitches during the "talk over" segments, but now watching the QL Arcade Archives Round 5 there was a ton of black boxes or lines or other glitches only within the box displaying the games

zdgro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an issue that just started today:

When I have video set to streaming (all quality levels) the video stutters a ton and chrome starts eating up 99% of my CPU. All other quality/types seem to work fine and I have not had issues streaming on other websites.

lettuceman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullitus: I'm having the same issue.

HTML5 does not work, but the rest are fine. Firefox 39.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've been having a thing for a little while now where the video will just skip back and replay the last few seconds of footage. Sometimes it's just audio until the video catches up again. Not a huge problem if it's just once or twice, but sometimes it starts doing it every five or ten minutes which makes me just give up, refresh the page, and if that doesn't work, watch something else. It's hard to be sure, but I think it's mostly or entirely happening with the GBEast videos, and not the GBWest videos. I had a particularly rough time with VinnyVania Dracula's Curse, Part 3.

Using Firefox 39. Flash is up to date. No weird plugins. CPU use seems normal while it's happening, so flash isn't just memory leaking.

ReddenBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I can't seem to load a play button on any video. Using Chrome and OSX Mavericks.

anden4300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reddenblack I'm having the same issue, got it to work by disabling Adblock!

gruntythrst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't seem to download any videos using the HD option. The download will progress as normal and just stop at around 50-75%. This only happens for HD quality; I can download High/Low/Mobile just fine. It happens both in Chrome and Firefox.

zegolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Videos have been a mess for me all this week. Lots of stuttering no matter what quality, and if I pause a video and come back to it the audio plays but the video slows down to a slideshow. Doesn't happen on any other site and it's a bummer because for free videos I can use YouTube to watch them perfectly but the premium content I pay for all runs like crap. Using the latest version of Firefox and WIndows 8.

gravytrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blannir: We have a thread about that over here: http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/html5-video-streaming-in-firefox-390-1778418 Seems like it is unique to Firefox. There are a few suggestions in the thread, but the only (unfortunate) solution I've been able to find is using Chrome.

DoctorSmirnoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blannir: I get this too. Use my smart to to watch UPF and recently I'm afraid to pause in case I return to just audio and a static image. Really strange. Video has always been iffy on my iPad, hence moving to tv. Seems worse on there. : (

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gruntythrst said:

I can't seem to download any videos using the HD option. The download will progress as normal and just stop at around 50-75%. This only happens for HD quality; I can download High/Low/Mobile just fine. It happens both in Chrome and Firefox.

I sort of get this as well, though it's for both High and HD. They cut off at 50% exactly, every time for both files. Low and Mobile DL just fine. It doesn't stop DLing or error out, it just acts like the DL finished, and I can watch a large segment of the video. I only caught that it was at 50% exactly by watching my download bar like a hawk and seeing when it jumps to "completed".

Avatar image for thelagermeister
thelagermeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos aren't loading for me tonight. Originally they were just fine, was watching Poly Bridge and then about 40 min in or so started getting some playback issues. Chrome, Win 10, HTML5 HD. Just kept stuttering. Gave up on the video and wanted to watch another and wouldn't even load. No matter what video I try, nothing loads except when I select Youtube quality. Which doesn't help watch premium videos. Youtube quality seems to load fine and is buffering. I have the player set to 720p60HD and running great. So maybe an issue with Amazon? Since the Youtube video is hosted by Youtube, it's running differently than the other videos. I don't know if Youtube uses Amazon for their storage and hosting though, so maybe not an Amazon issue if they do.

hoshinosenshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By hoshinosenshi

I keep getting "Please use a flash or HTML5 video capable browser to watch videos" message. This has been going on for a few weeks now, and I have no idea what the problem is.

HTML5 works (as Youtube loads fine). Flash is not on this system for obvious reasons. Using Firefox. Any ideas?

karcyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The play button is gone for all the videos. No idea why.

mackinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since updating to iOS9 the options on videos have disappeared. No scrubbing/full screen. Just tapping to pause/unpause. This is in Safari... Sucks too, the videos while on iOS had just gotten updated and were working great.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Pilgore

A lot of the time when I watch videos on the site through my TV's browser the "resume from last time" function just freezes the video until I reload the page.

The only way to fix this is to press play, jam the mouse on the 0:00 mark and hope the video plays at that point and doesn't try to resume from where I left it off. It's actually pretty damn frustrating, sometimes I'm trying to play a video for 15 minutes. If I could just turn the Resume Play function off somehow that would be great. Because this function is breaking your videos on certain browsers.

mackinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videos in ios9 now have the UI back! Either you guys fixed that super fast or it was just glitched for me. I'll assume you guys fixed it super fast like pros!

FraggingRights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mackinder: still a problem for me. Running ios 9.0.2. No video UI. Only audio if my device goes to sleep and I resume playback.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#131  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

NBA 2K16 quick look keeps cutting off after about 8 minutes of playing. If I hit play it does not remember where it left off. I believe I also had this occur yesterday with a couple Metal Gear Scanlons though it was only occasional then; maybe three times throughout both videos.

Using Progressive Mode HD

Incognito mode did not fix this issue. Giant Bomb is whitelisted in my Bitdefender Internet Security 2015

beatchef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Livestreams now don't work for me on any of my mobile devices or ps4. Just gives a black screen with no sound when you press play

VickyKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All videos have no interface or play button on Chrome. Normal on Firefox.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By zenmastah

@vickykillz said:

All videos have no interface or play button on Chrome. Normal on Firefox.

Yep, tried on Chrome and all i get is a transparent box where the player is.
Works on incognito mode though..

Firefox and Explorer both say i should use a browser that supports flash or HTLM5.

Soulguy35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zenmastah: try disabling adblock if you have that running, worked for me. Didn't even realize I had it enabled for GB.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VickyKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having an issue with the Metal Gear Scanlon V: Ground Zeroes video where it keeps ending prematurely. I've only had this issue with that particular video.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#139  Edited By kerse

I've been having a problem the past couple weeks with videos just locking up once at least once per video. Sometimes they lock up for a couple seconds and sometimes they just stay locked up until I refresh the page. The weird thing is that switching between HTML5 and Streaming will usually fix it, but sometimes that doesn't do anything. Right now I'm trying to watch the new choose your own adventure video and streaming and progressive don't even start while HTML5 the play button reappears right after hitting it. I don't think its my internet, because I can go to youtube or twitch and watch whatever I want perfectly fine.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have an issue on one of my computers I use that videos just don't play at all. I'll click play and it'll be a black screen with 3 dashes in the center of the screen. It happens on gamespot too.

ShapeOfDespair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having the same issue i've seen others mention where the player just doesn't show up at all. I've disabled adblocker, whitelisted GB,and even uninstalled it, cleared cookies, even tried other browsers but I still have the same issue across them all.

darklingscribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By darklingscribe

I'm running iOS 9 and I am also having the issue where the videos play without the interface/toolbar at the bottom. This happens in Safari and Chrome for iOS, but I can get the interface to show up if I'm in Chrome and tell the browser to request a desktop version of the site. So the bug might be an issue with the site on mobile browsers.

-Edit- I'd like to point out that I'm encountering this bug and I don't use Adblock or any other kind of blocker.

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By caska

I just switched ISPs and doing so has made watching Giant Bomb videos pretty annoying. My actual internet speed and everything is the same if not a little bit better which is really frustrating because I used to just set videos to Streaming and watch on Auto fine but now I can only use HTML5 on High (sometimes HD if I get lucky). I've tried using different CDN servers or something that was mentioned as a fix somewhere else, and that's what got the HTML5 player working but it's still annoying because the auto mode doesn't work. Is there anything else I can try or should I just keep switching servers until I find a better one?

EJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#144  Edited By EJ

The video player doesn't seem to load. I bounced around to different videos and it never appears for me. I tried clear my browser's browsing data and still no video player.

~ Edit - I just disabled adblock and it loaded fine.

No Caption Provided

PS I first noticed it on the recent Metal Gear Scanlon - Episode 12, where the HD video download seems to be funked up as it only downloads a 250 mb file.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fontelroy: Yeah, adblock really hates our video player for some reason even when we aren't serving any ads, best to just whitelist giantbomb.

As far as the MGS download, I'll check with the video duders and see if I can get that one re-uploaded.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caska: Unfortunately that's all on Akamai's end, if you're new ISP is sending you to different CDN servers there's really nothing we can do about that. If you know what you're doing modifying host files and such, feel free to try and find a better server. But unfortunately a lot of that is out of our hands :/

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Subjugation
Avatar image for deactivated-5d3acaf4ac035
deactivated-5d3acaf4ac035

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could not play any video or livestream on the site for a while (except for streaming off download links) and I just managed to fix it. I opened the Developer Console and saw an insecure connection blocked error for "https://fast.cbsi.demdex.net/dest4.html?d_nsid=0" (apparently the SSL certificate does not match the site's url). I use a browser addon called "HTTPS Everywhere" that tries to force HTTPS connections on websites that use both HTTPS and HTTP. I clicked the HTTPS Everywhere icon in Google Chrome's toolbar and unchecked "Giant Bomb.com (partial)". That fixed it. I'm now able to watch videos and livestreams using the flash player no problem. I think there are other privacy-oriented addons like Ghostery and Disconnect that do the same thing, but I haven't tested them to see if they also break videos on Giant Bomb. Also, uBlock Origin with the MVPS Hosts filter list enabled will block the fast.cbsi.demdex.net domain.

No Caption Provided

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Subjugation

But seriously, the artifacting is still happening like 4+ months later.

No Caption Provided

Is anyone looking into this or have people just thrown their hands up in the air and given up? I feel like the equipment is just going bad.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Grey frames are still happening too.