Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dornath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#501 Dornath  Online
smallville123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Weirdly progressive does not lag but html 5 still does on chrome.

chriswade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#503  Edited By chriswade

I had been able to watch premium streams on the browser on my LG TV until a couple of weeks ago. Since then any one you click play on just has the white loading circle spin for a few seconds and then nothing happens.

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@dornath: are you using the latest version of the chromecast?

dnosoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#505  Edited By dnosoup

Hi, everyone.

I'm having problems with my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab S2) since a few months ago. I use Chrome as my browser, and I haven't installed extensions or anything strange. I was able to watch videos a long time ago, but since a few months ago, it just says that the video is loading, and I am not even able to see the controls.

I have tried using incognito mode, and logging in and out of my premium account, but it doesn't work. All other webpages seem to work just fine, it's just the Giant Bomb videos.

Thanks.

OrwellHuxZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506 OrwellHuxZam  Online

I, too, am having the Chromecast problem

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orwellhuxzam: my current work around is to click download video and go full-screen and just cast that browser window but it's not ideal

OrwellHuxZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#508 OrwellHuxZam  Online
Saaitii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having the same chromecast issues @mrariscottle is having. I'm on the latest version of chromecast as well.

wampalord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boosh said:
No Caption Provided

This continues to be my video experience with premium videos. Stopping to buffer for quite a while 6 seconds into UPF. This was after it already happened 2 seconds in. It never smooths out. Randomly, I'll have decent premium video playback, but most days when I see this happening, I just have to give up and do something else.

Getting the same thing here. Chrome, Windows 7, amazing internet connection that never has anything else buffer like this.

Obaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having the exact same issue with Chromecasting Premium vids to my TV. Casting the Youtube videos is fine, just the premium stuff, which is annoying.

It was working fine at the beginning of the week as I watched half the Zelda video the beast team put up, but when I went to finish it yesterday it wouldn't cast. Tried a few other premium videos and they aren't working either.

DPEP56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of last week, Giant Bomb has stopped working with my Chromecast. What happens is when I attempt to cast, the TV changes to a screen with the CAST symbol on it, but then gets stuck there. The video then plays in the normal web browser. I have attempted to start casting from both my phone (using Chrome and a Google Pixel) and from my PC (in Chrome). This seems to be happening with all Giant Bomb videos hosted by the site. Other websites seem to work normally. My IP Address is 174.59.223.7.

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Just chiming in on the Chromecast issue. Both my older Chromecast and the one built into my Vizio TV no longer work with GB videos.

Galmteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#514  Edited By Galmteam

Also having the same Chromecast issue. Any video I try to cast, it just loads the cast icon and nothing happens. Having to use the "cast tab" feature in the mean time

delor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ditto on the Chromecast. Haven't used it in a while, but just set it up tonight, it downloaded a bunch of updates, then I successfully watched YouTube with it. Giant Bomb doesn't work with it, though- if I use the little button in the lower right nothing happens, and if I hit the button in the upper left the TV briefly goes gray and displays the name of the video and then gives up and goes back to displaying Chromecast wallpapers. (awfully hard to use the top-left button, too, with the video playback scroll bar on top of it)

katcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boosh said:
No Caption Provided

This continues to be my video experience with premium videos. Stopping to buffer for quite a while 6 seconds into UPF. This was after it already happened 2 seconds in. It never smooths out. Randomly, I'll have decent premium video playback, but most days when I see this happening, I just have to give up and do something else.

Getting the same thing here. Chrome, Windows 7, amazing internet connection that never has anything else buffer like this.

Came in here to post about the same issue. It's *incredibly* inconsistent; I can go 1-2 weeks without it happening at all, and then out of no where I run into insane buffering issues on all videos for at least 2-3 days. I used to run the Ghostery extension (disabled on Giant Bomb), but have removed that recently. The only other extensions I have installed are Reddit Enhancement Suite and a launcher for Tweetdeck. On Chrome Version 66.0.3359.181, 64 bit, Windows 10. Switching to a set video quality (instead of auto) will sometimes help short term, but again, very inconsistent. Same goes for moving to progressive.

Engineerstark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#518  Edited By Engineerstark

• What kind of issue are you running into?:
    When I try to cast a video to a chromecast all I get is the cast icon and the video begins to play on my laptop/phone screen.
  • Any specific videos where it’s occurring?:
    On all videos I've tried hosted from the GB site
  • Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?):
    Chrome(laptop and phone)
  • Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?:
    Yes the issues still exist when using incognito mode and with all extensions disabled.
  • If not, what extensions are you running?:
    N/A
  • Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?:
    No I don't see this option.
  • Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?:
    Yes I have switched and no it didn't help.
  • What’s your IP address (in case it’s an Akamai issue)?:
Obaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie - Hi fella, just wondered if anyone is looking into these Chromecast issues? Seems to have been going on for a fair few of us since last week. Appreciate all your hard work. :)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I got a Chromecast to test this stuff but I haven't had much of a chance to do anything but sale-related stuff recently. Let me see if I can give it a whirl and see if I can replicate this. I have a feeling this is related to videos going out at 60fps which the Chromecast might not be able to handle over wifi, but we'll see.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galmteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie I'm using the Chromecast Ultra

System firmware version: 113131
Cast firmware version 1.30.113131

This issue happens trying to cast from both a laptop and a mobile device. Casting your guys' youtube videos works fine. Seems to only be an issue on the website itself.

Galmteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie One other thing about your previous message. The Chromecast ultra allows connection via ethernet. I'm using the ethernet link so I don't believe wifi would be related. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@galmteam: weird, I went shopping for a Chromecast recently and I never even saw that the Ultra was an option! I'll try this out tonight and see if I can take a look though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, something's definitely borked! Not sure why that would be but I'll see if we can get someone to look into it.

Galmteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

OK, something's definitely borked! Not sure why that would be but I'll see if we can get someone to look into it.

Thanks Rorie, you're the man.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527  Edited By rorie

Just as an update on the Chromecast issues, both Will and I were able to verify that this was happening on our home Chromecasts last night. Not sure why it's going on but Will will be poking into it. I don't have an ETA on a fix but we'll definitely try to get it sorted.

...and I'm told that a fix for this will be out early next week.

Johnsteinshrek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#528  Edited By Johnsteinshrek

Glad y'all are on the chromecast issue ,its been bugging me for a week or so. Its only on the premium videos

KingdanglerBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#529  Edited By KingdanglerBK

What kind of issue are you running into?:

• Videos don't play when logged in (no play button). Works when not logged in...

This issue is now happening to me on Windows 8 running newest version of Chrome. On Firefox and logged in the videos work like normal.

I have cleared my cache and cookies from Chrome and still they won't load......

I do use twitter as my log in method for my GB account, if that info helps...

Inco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever I try to watch a video, it just has the box with the pulsing "LOADING VIDEO..." text in it.

I'm using Firefox 60.0.1 (64-bit). uBlock Origin is disabled for the domain, and the videos won't play even with all domains enabled in NoScript. I had no problems watching videos earlier today while logged in (about 7 hours ago or so), and the videos won't play when logged out. I've tried several of the Mario Party Party episodes, GBC 533, and Who's The Big Boss 2 Ep 1, to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inco: We are looking into this at the moment but I don't have an ETA on a fix, unfortunately.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@inco: This used to happen to me, to solve it I had to make sure all CBSi servers are accessible (no VPN, or ad blockers), delete all cache data for Giant Bomb and login again.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aethom said:
@wampalord said:
@boosh said:
No Caption Provided

Came in here to post about the same issue. It's *incredibly* inconsistent; I can go 1-2 weeks without it happening at all, and then out of no where I run into insane buffering issues on all videos for at least 2-3 days. I used to run the Ghostery extension (disabled on Giant Bomb), but have removed that recently. The only other extensions I have installed are Reddit Enhancement Suite and a launcher for Tweetdeck. On Chrome Version 66.0.3359.181, 64 bit, Windows 10. Switching to a set video quality (instead of auto) will sometimes help short term, but again, very inconsistent. Same goes for moving to progressive.

Some of these issues may be related to your connection to our CDN. This is unfortunately something that's often out of our control, but I believe our plans still involve possibly moving our videos to multiple CDNs in the hope that the connection for people with connection issues like this will be matched with something closer to them and thus will hit buffering less often. I don't have an ETA on that, unfortunately.

Obaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: thanks mate! Again, I appreciate all your hard work.

foodmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Whenever a live show does not have a video only (as in the front page player), the video stutters all to hell on ps4. Is there a url to the live shows minus chat?

StanleyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536  Edited By StanleyPain

Out of nowhere this morning, I cannot watch ANY videos (premium or otherwise) on PC, Roku, Android, or Xbox. All I get is the "error message" video which says to go to a thread in the forums I cannot find (Why Can't I Download?) It says my "video credentials cannot be verified." I haven't changed anything on my router, I was just watching a video on my droid tablet, then stopped it to change over to my Xbox on the TV, and this now happens on every video on every device. Any ideas? (and, yes, I have reset my router and re-logged into GB several times.)

Galmteam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chromecast issue has resolved for me. Just a heads up for those affected and staff that helped. Thanks a ton.

aperfecttool72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#538  Edited By aperfecttool72

I'm getting the "This is an error message" video every time I've tried to watch something via the Android Video Bomb app and the Xbox app. Things were fine this morning when I was rewatching Backflips N' Bioforge. Logging off and back in via those apps had not worked. Watching a premium video on the site itself seems to work fine though.

Edit : everything seems to be working again. Not sure what happened to get me all the error videos before as I've not changed anything since logging out and back in.

OrwellHuxZam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#540 OrwellHuxZam  Online

The chromecast is working, but newer videos start to stutter after a minute or two.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting the "This is an error message" video every time I've tried to watch something via the Android Video Bomb app and the Xbox app. Things were fine this morning when I was rewatching Backflips N' Bioforge. Logging off and back in via those apps had not worked. Watching a premium video on the site itself seems to work fine though.

Edit : everything seems to be working again. Not sure what happened to get me all the error videos before as I've not changed anything since logging out and back in.

The Video Bomb app is having a bunch of issues with creating this error for people lately. I would not use it until the developer manages to figure out what's causing it. Sorry for the trouble.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#542  Edited By rorie

@stanleypain: Is this still happening for you? If so, email me at support at giantbomb.com and I can try to get you in touch with an engineer or two.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foodmonster: I haven't been able to replicate this, but then the PS4 I was using was wired. Is your PS4 wireless?

Mario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#544  Edited By Mario123
No Caption Provided

I was getting the "This is an error message" earlier today on the android Giant Bomb app, and am now getting it in Chrome on my computer. Attempted to watch Vinnystania and received a quick little snippet of that error message, then the show not attempting to play.

PatKe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#545  Edited By PatKe

I've been having an issue with the Xbox app for last few hours. Any video I try to watch freezes after a few minutes. There's no buffering happening and I can't fast forward or rewind. Any one else having this issue?

Kubertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of issue are you running into?:
Hi, Something is wrong with the video player. When ever it is in full screen mode the scroll bar becomes unusable. I cannot scroll, the bar is visible only if the mouse is ways off of where the bar should be.

Any specific videos where it’s occurring?:

No on all videos i've tried

Browser where issues are occurring (have you tried another one?):

Safari Version 11.0.1 (12604.3.5.1.1) it is fine on chrome.

Are the issues the same in incognito mode or when you disable extensions?:

yes

If not, what extensions are you running?:

Have you tried switching from HTML5 to Progressive streaming? Did this help your issue?:

no

Have you tried switching from Auto quality to one of the other options? Did this help?: no

Just wanted to let you know. best regards

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mario123 said:
No Caption Provided

I was getting the "This is an error message" earlier today on the android Giant Bomb app, and am now getting it in Chrome on my computer. Attempted to watch Vinnystania and received a quick little snippet of that error message, then the show not attempting to play.

The Video Bomb app is causing this for many people. I would stop using it and the error should go away within 24 hours. Sorry for the trouble!

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#548  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

While watching videos and streams (including GBi), every so often the video will rewind like two seconds and continue playing. Chrome, latest build, incognito mode, wired connection, W10, GB player all qualities.

Mario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks for getting back to me on this! I'll go ahead and delete that app. Is there another one recommended for Android devices, or should I just stick to the chrome browser on my phone?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mario123 said:

@rorie: Thanks for getting back to me on this! I'll go ahead and delete that app. Is there another one recommended for Android devices, or should I just stick to the chrome browser on my phone?

The Giant Bomb Video Buddy has been around for a while but I'm not sure it's been updated in a bit! I think we're in contact with the Video Bomb developer but I don't know of an ETA on a fix for that.