#601 Posted by timberbarrackk (37 posts) -

Came here to second having problems on mobile. No videos load, stays on black screen. Chrome, no add-ons.

#602 Posted by timberbarrackk (37 posts) -

Ok, after all weekend of not working the site is playing videos again so thanks Rorie if that was due to action on your end but either way it's working great.

#603 Posted by ThisIsJimmy (6 posts) -

I can watch videos just fine on the computer, but they won't work at all on mobile unless I download them. I've had this problem for a couple weeks now. For reference, I'm using Google Chrome 68.0.3440.91 on Android 9.0 on a Google Pixel XL.

Same problem here, same browser/OS/device combination. Been happening for about 2 weeks now. I hit play and I just get a blank screen, or sometimes the first video frame just frozen, with no loading spinner.

#604 Posted by trashbandit (4 posts) -

No video content will play for me. I'm on android version 8 using the most recent release of chrome. Flipping between quality doesn't do anything, after I hit play the screen goes black and that's that. Any suggestions?

Avatar image for particularfellow
#605 Edited by ParticularFellow (1 posts) -

@charliemonnone: I've had some luck by using the request desktop site option on mobile through chrome, but I'm on a Pixel 2 with Android 9 so your milage may vary.

#606 Posted by Davvyk (793 posts) -

All premium videos being delivered via the sites own player are just unwatchable in the UK. The buffering is so bad.

I know this has been a long term issue and it's been mentioned many times on live streams but is this ever actually going to be addressed? It's got to the point I'm having to download any videos I watch because the streaming is unusable.

I'm on 42mb internet (BT) using Chrome on Android, chrome or Firefox on Mac, chrome on windows. iPad screaming via Chromecast or airplay.

All browsers are up to date.

I want to continue to support the site as I have done since launch but it's getting to the point I'm not actually getting what I'm paying for. Any info that's needed happy to help.

#607 Posted by timberbarrackk (37 posts) -

Now it's not working again. Android/chrome everything stock, tried wifi/4G, no videos load. Watched a pax vlog the other day, came back to finish it now just a black screen. Nothing has changed on my end.

#608 Posted by timberbarrackk (37 posts) -

Requesting desktop site has allowed me to watch videos, although they appear to just be YouTube embeds, unsure what's different between that and the mobile site but at least I can watch videos on my phone again.

#609 Edited by Kheesz (5 posts) -

Hi, it seems no matter what I do I consistently get absolutely abysmal connection speeds when watching or downloading anything from the site on my PC. It's not my connection because I get full speed downloads and streams from other sites no matter what and every browser I try I get the exact same results. Right now I'm getting around 100 KBs when trying to download a Bombcast and can't stream any video on the site in anything other than low and even then I get buffering. This happens on HTML5 if it's on any setting, switching to Progressive doesn't make much of a difference. This has been going on for a while and I'm genuinely at a loss as to what the problem is because it seems to happen at random and sometimes I won't have any problems at all. I don't have a data cap and can stream 4K content from Youtube, Netflix, etc with no issues whatsoever. Is there another site that uses Akami because I feel like my connection is being throttled, that's the only explanation I can come up with.

#610 Posted by DeliciousBees (48 posts) -

There seems to be an issue with the Roku app again - a lot of the new (GBWest mainly) videos constantly buffer every 5-30secs. It doesn't seem to be entirely hardware based, since Roku Plex + direct video playback on a fixed up version of the Plex channel plays fine.

#611 Posted by friedram (1 posts) -

Xbox one app allows me to browse to videos but none play. This is not a problem on my pc, however I want to be able to watch on my Xbox One's - I have been able to replicate this problem on an xbox one and xbox one x. Uninstalling and reinstalling does not fix the issue.

#612 Posted by Luthair (9 posts) -

Are the Chromecast issues ever going to be fixed? Its essentially been unusable for most or all of this year.

I would hazard that the videos are being encoded with a profile or bitrate which isn't compatible.

#613 Posted by SNDLC (4 posts) -

The Apple TV app is bugged. Running version of tvOS 11.4.1 and app version 2.0.1

The issue is when I try to play content from the "latest" playlist, it attempts to load and then crashes. It doesn't do this for any of the other curated playlists made available in the app.

#614 Posted by timberbarrackk (37 posts) -

Can anyone from the site give us any info on this? A simple "we're working on it" even? The massive push toward all video content is neat, but when I have to do work-arounds to watch anything it makes me wonder why I pay to support the site. Not to be "that guy" but it seems like it's an issue for a lot of people and it's frustrating to feel we're all in here talking to a wall.

#615 Edited by OrwellHuxZam (184 posts) -

I know we're getting a site redesign in the not too distant future that might address these problems, but I agree with @timberbarrackk. Any kind of feedback from the team would be much appreciated.

#616 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -

@luthair said:

Are the Chromecast issues ever going to be fixed? Its essentially been unusable for most or all of this year.

I would hazard that the videos are being encoded with a profile or bitrate which isn't compatible.

Let me double-check with my Chromecast tonight to see if I can replicate this. I know for some versions of the Chromecast our 60fps streams and videos can make it chug. The longer-term solution is to auto-detect the device that is being used and serve it a video feed that is of a quality that won't break it but I believe our Akamai work needs to come first.

Staff
#617 Posted by timberbarrackk (37 posts) -

@orwellhuxzam: I guess I either forgot about the redesign or hadn't heard about it, so I get work prioritization when it comes to this kind of stuff. Hope I didn't come off impatient, I understand now why this might not be even worth spending time fixing in the long run.

#618 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -

Apologies if there haven't been many updates on the buffering issues if you've been experiencing those lately. The long-term intent here is to stop using Akamai exclusively for video hosting and allow your browser or devices to switch to a more accessible or better-performing CDN if it develops issues while streaming a video. This work is still underway but unfortunately it's fairly complicated and also isn't something that we can do 100% on our own, engineering-wise; it requires resources from elsewhere in CBS that we can't necessarily task at will. Regardless, it's definitely something that's still on our radar even if I can't give a firm timeline right now on when this all will be implemented. Sorry for the troubles!

Staff
#619 Posted by OrwellHuxZam (184 posts) -

Thanks, Rorie!

#620 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -

No video content will play for me. I'm on android version 8 using the most recent release of chrome. Flipping between quality doesn't do anything, after I hit play the screen goes black and that's that. Any suggestions?

As far as I'm aware a fix for this should've gone out; is this still happening for you?

Staff
#621 Posted by trashbandit (4 posts) -

@rorie: It is, though now the first frame of the Giant bomb intro will start before the video freezes.

#622 Posted by dragonguyx (44 posts) -

I’m getting the same issue as the above post about Apple TV app crashing when clicking on ‘Latest’ videos. Tried deleting and redownloading but it still crashes the whole app

#623 Posted by Luthair (9 posts) -

@rorie said:
@luthair said:

Let me double-check with my Chromecast tonight to see if I can replicate this. I know for some versions of the Chromecast our 60fps streams and videos can make it chug. The longer-term solution is to auto-detect the device that is being used and serve it a video feed that is of a quality that won't break it but I believe our Akamai work needs to come first.

Supposedly the Chromecast API allows querying the device whether it can play a stream - https://developers.google.com/cast/docs/media#media-container-formats

The same page also lists the supported profiles, resolutions and framerates supported for the devices. Mine are gen2, I would hazard gen1 and gen2 represent the majority of the market.

#624 Posted by AlisterCat (8053 posts) -

Just got a Pixel 2 XL with Android Pie and none of the videos on the site play in Chrome. I can press play but it goes to a black screen and nothing loads. I have tried all video qualities.

#626 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -

OK, I tested the Chromecast at home and that definitely seems to be borked - the Apple TV in the office is also not looking like it's working, so I'll file tickets to see if those can be resolved.

@alistercat: there is a fix for this that is on stage now and hopefully will be released by the end of the week, but it might take until early next for it to go out.

Staff
#627 Posted by AlisterCat (8053 posts) -

@rorie: Thanks! A work around is to just hit the download button and watch from there but I didn't think of that until too late.

Avatar image for hustleandmotiv8
#628 Posted by hustleandmotiv8 (2 posts) -

@rorie: i'm new to the site and i cant access videos on amazon fire TV even though i have been authenticated on my Fire TV. I keep getting an error message. Can you assist me please?

#629 Posted by superdave21 (3 posts) -

I haven't seen this exact issue, but the Roku app will not load any videos upon start up (It is stuck at "Loading...") for all of my Roku devices. I've restarted the Roku, router, and re-installed the app, but still no video.

#630 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -
Staff
#631 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -

@superdave21: Are you using the beta app?

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/roku-app-not-working-use-the-beta-version-1808125/

Staff
#632 Posted by superdave21 (3 posts) -

@rorie I don't think so since I installed the app from the Roku store. I'll give the beta app a try and see where that gets me. Thank you sir!

#633 Posted by Ryudo (148 posts) -

Roku 4 ultra. Everytime I load the app it's endlessly loading. Last few days if I kept reloading it,it would eventually work. Now it just flat will not work.

#634 Edited by Ravelle (3290 posts) -

I decided to try some things out and downloaded the video's from the site to my phone and then stream it from a streaming app to my chromecast but I got the same stuttering issues, they work completely fine when just playing on my phone itself, both locally and streaming from the website. So it seems to be just that the video's are being transcoded in to some whacky stuff the chromecast doesn't know what do with it. I believe the issue also is exclusive to recorded live streams such as UPF, GBE Playdates and other camera recorded stuff, Quicklooks seem to work.

I really want to watch live streams and premium stuff in bed haha.

#635 Edited by Soulstoner (50 posts) -

Trying to watch anything either via the iOS app or through safari in iOS is a frustrating experience. The videos will play, then stutter, then loop the last 5 seconds over and over. Then they’ll play, then stop, then play. The only way to view premium content is either via the android app on my Nvidia shield tv, or via download. I’ve never thought about discontinuing my membership before now, but I’m so frustrated that I’m damn close.

#636 Posted by ebk (18 posts) -

Had to relink my account on my Roku 3 today and when I did, videos were then playing choppily with out-of-sync video and audio, just as they did back before the devices were served lower quality video. There was no such issue as recently as 12 hours ago.

#637 Edited by Carboot_Soul (22 posts) -

@ebk: Yes have the same issue too. Just posted in the Roku thread as didn't spot this one. Hopefully @rorie: can work his magic again?

#638 Posted by Rorie (5633 posts) -

let me see if @wcarle or @frobie know more about the state of the Roku app.

Staff
#639 Posted by nutter (1890 posts) -

@ebk: Seeing the same thing on my Roku...

#640 Posted by Smallville123 (497 posts) -

Seriously. Where is the video player redesign and where is the site redesign?

#641 Posted by customotto (627 posts) -

Does the Roku app save anyone's video progress so you can resume a video and pick up where you left off? This is something the app used to do for me but hasn't in a while (maybe over a year?). I'll get the resume option if I immediately bounce out and go back in to the app but it doesn't last longer than a few hours.

I don't usually have the time to fully watch longer GB content in one sitting anymore and because of this issue it's becoming rare for me to finish videos.

There's also a very limited amount of shows I can reach through the app so if something drops off the main feed I often can't find it anymore. Between these two issues I've basically given up on trying to watch the longer series (e.g., Mass Alex, Exquisite Core).

#642 Posted by endquote (16 posts) -

been having really bad desync in Firefox

happens on all videos

cleared all browser history, no help

Firefox 62.0.3

Windows 10

#643 Edited by wallrick (21 posts) -

UPDATE: As of the release of the new site, this problem seems to have solved itself

Chrome

Windows 10

Chromecast 1st gen I guess?

20 seconds into a Gb video the video starts to chug, constant start playing and stop playing with 1 second intervals, started happening 2 weeks ago.

I figured it was my bad router, I bought a new router and it's placed much better, but the same problem persists. I've factoryreset the chromecast, and checked my connection and other solutions.In addition to that, GB video on the browser or on the phone keeps playing with the chromecast icon overlay over it.

It is only with GB videos this problem occure. Youtube, twitch, Crunchyroll etc all works without issues.

#644 Posted by Pumprag (2 posts) -

Browser: Google Chrome Version 70.0.3538.67 (64 bit) (no extentions)

Url: https://beta.giantbomb.com/shows/quick-look-nickelodeon-kart-racers/2970-17245/free-video

Issue: After starting a Youtube video and pausing it, it's impossible to start watching it again. When I click the big play button, it briefly plays the video for a second and then pauses again. Also these videos have a weird 1 pixel border around them. The screen I'm looking at is this:

No Caption Provided

#645 Posted by L0RDANGUS (2 posts) -

Hi there. Whenever I try to Chromecast a video to my TV it sets my TVs volume to full volume and it scares the living hell out of me. I found an Android app that Casts the videos just fine so it's not a big deal. It just sucks when I forget and get scared again.

#646 Edited by Ryudo (148 posts) -

UPF not showing up on te Roku app.

EDIT: If anyone else has this issue I unlinked my account and relinked and restarted the app

#648 Posted by MATATAT (1224 posts) -

It sounds like some people are having similar but not quite the same issues that I’m having with mobile. Using Chrome on iOS (12.0.2 I believe). Video player takes a long time to load. Downloading videos show long buffer times on videos as well. Not sure if the player doesn’t initialize until there is adequately buffered video but it could be just related to that. This happens both on WiFi and data.

#649 Posted by ThomasCro (437 posts) -

I'm experiencing a problem with video playback watching on the PS4 browser. Whenever I pause a video and want to unpause it, it just ends the video. Happens only on HTML, progressive works fine.

#650 Edited by SNDLC (4 posts) -

Using iPad Pro with iOS 12.1. Video player does not work in Safari (constantly attempts to load video but just spins). Can get playback to occur if I download, but that sucks if I’m trying to save playback progress so I can watch later.

Edit: I’ve also whitelisted the site so no content blockers are running on the webpage.