Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

#751 Edited by KillerElDiablo (10 posts) -

I've recently stopped using Chrome and swapped to Safari on my Mac. Ever since, during live streams, the sound plays for about 3 seconds and then cuts out and never comes back. If I reload the page, it plays audio again and cuts out. I have no issues in Chrome. I did just try running a live stream in a private window, and the audio plays without issue (EDIT: this has now stopped working as well). I have tried all bitrates. I use uBlock, but I have it off for GB.

Safari Version 12.0.3 (14606.4.5)

Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109)

#753 Posted by InputMapper (24 posts) -

@rorie

Not sure if this is the spot, but I've been having issues with the Roku app constantly "unlinking" my GB account, the settings page shows it's linked but no actual premium videos show up. This forces me to unlink then relink my account. This happens maybe once or twice a week on average.

For reference I am using the beta version of the Roku app from here: https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/roku-app-not-working-use-the-beta-version-1808125/ because the one from the Roku store does not work with my TCL TV with Roku 9.0.

#754 Edited by Goodacre0081 (35 posts) -

hitting play on a video(site player) will start the audio and swap to a YouTube version where the video hasn't started yet. almost as if two different video feeds are in the window at the same time. i tested this by hitting the YouTube version and could hear both.

refreshing the site fixed the issue but I need to do this for every video

#755 Posted by b33 (453 posts) -

While watching https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/mass-alex-mass-effect-part-02/2970-11299 with safari in a iPad I’ve had several occasions where the video started going back a few seconds several times in a loop. Sometimes it continues playing normally after a few loops others it stopped completely.

#756 Posted by TheRealTurk (601 posts) -

@goodacre0081 said:

hitting play on a video(site player) will start the audio and swap to a YouTube version where the video hasn't started yet. almost as if two different video feeds are in the window at the same time. i tested this by hitting the YouTube version and could hear both.

Just popping in to say I've been having this exact same problem. Been going on for at least the last couple of weeks.

#757 Posted by Rorie (5923 posts) -

@goodacre0081 said:

Just popping in to say I've been having this exact same problem. Been going on for at least the last couple of weeks.

Hey, there's a bug report in for this and hopefully someone will be able to look into it soon! Sorry for the trouble.

Staff
#758 Posted by Goodacre0081 (35 posts) -

well it seems to be not happening anymore. call that good news or bad i guess.

#759 Posted by Rorie (5923 posts) -

I've recently stopped using Chrome and swapped to Safari on my Mac. Ever since, during live streams, the sound plays for about 3 seconds and then cuts out and never comes back. If I reload the page, it plays audio again and cuts out. I have no issues in Chrome. I did just try running a live stream in a private window, and the audio plays without issue (EDIT: this has now stopped working as well). I have tried all bitrates. I use uBlock, but I have it off for GB.

Safari Version 12.0.3 (14606.4.5)

Mojave 10.14.3 (18D109)

I've heard more about this recently and it sounds like Jan has seen it complained about a lot. I don't have an iOS device but I'll see if I can track one down for testing, or just refer it to Will for him to poke around in. Sorry for the trouble!

Staff
#760 Posted by KindOfBlue (181 posts) -

I'm scared of casting any videos from my phone to my new Android TV with built-in chromecast because the default volume when starting is 100 and I'm afraid it'll blow out my speakers...

#761 Posted by 400lb_Gorilla (67 posts) -

The Chromecast bug is back. The new Mass Alex plays fine for about a minute or so, then it is constant video and audio stutters. I'm using the chromecast button on the desktop chrome browser and it is grabbing the file directly not just mirroring the window.

#762 Edited by propablyapun (2 posts) -

I can also confirm the Chromecast bug is back. It seems to want to default to the highest possible resolution when I cast and then it stutters terribly about 15 seconds later.

#763 Posted by atomicfox (58 posts) -

Same issue here. The stuttering happens for me from both desktop chrome browser and mobile.

I can also confirm the Chromecast bug is back. It seems to want to default to the highest possible resolution when I cast and then it stutters terribly about 15 seconds later.

#764 Posted by I_HATE_FUN (5 posts) -

@atomicfox: Ditto about the Chromecast bug. It happened on Mass Alex and also when I just tried to watch an episode of Steal My Sunshine, so it's not just newer content.

#765 Posted by fetchfox (1742 posts) -

@propablyapun: Same here. The problem has always been there for me when streaming live shows, but now it's back for normal videos.

#766 Posted by 400lb_Gorilla (67 posts) -

@fetchfox: Yeah, they never fixed the chromecast stuttering on live shows as far as I can tell and recently playing the live shows on my PS4 has had problems start occurring as well. It almost feels like they don't want us watching live shows on our TV, lol.

#767 Posted by Hurricrane (158 posts) -

I've been having hitching issues the past couple days. I'm on firefox with no add-ons enabled.

Which leads me to my second point, I'd really like to be able to use the site with Privacy Badger on. Nothing works when it is.

#768 Posted by count_zero (480 posts) -

So, possible additional information on this - when I'm encountering the hitching, it comes up when I'm watching streams in Progressive mode on the PC in Chrome (and at all on the XBOne app), but not if I'm watching in HTML5 on the PC in Chrome.

I'm not sure if that helps, but I hope it will.

#769 Posted by Bleichman (8 posts) -

I have the same chromecast stuttering issues unfortunately. Stuttering, audio drop outs and slow down when casting from desktop.

#770 Posted by Rorie (5923 posts) -

Sorry about the Chromecast issues - I know Will is aware of it but I'm not sure he's had a chance to dig deep into it. I'll file a ticket to make sure it's on his radar though.

Staff
#771 Posted by elliotcm (115 posts) -

Has the bitrate of some videos suddenly shot up? I ask because I'm watching the latest Mass Alex and suddenly my fans are all whirring at full blast and my battery is draining away, while the (Chrome, OSX) video tab is chomping 110% CPU.

Seems to be the same on both progressive and HTML5 options, and I've tried switching to HD to no avail.

If it has increased is there a meaningful way to control the quality we stream at? The Low/High/HD/Auto options have always felt a little opaque to me.

#772 Posted by JoNoMo (1 posts) -

For about the last month when I watch a video on xbox one (original) whether streaming through the GB app, streaming via the GB Plex channel, or streaming from a downloaded video on a computer in my local network using Plex, the deeper into the video I get the longer it takes the video to play again after scrubbing through it. Even if I just skip back a few seconds it can take multiple minutes to start playing again if I'm an hour or two into the video. Otherwise the video plays fine - no buffering/stuttering. I can watch videos on the YouTube app fine, but of course I can't do that for premium videos. Also, videos play fine on any other device. I don't know if the way videos are encoded have changed or something has changed with an xbox one update, but this is a bummer. Thank you.

Avatar image for frozentransform
#773 Posted by FrozenTransform (6 posts) -

@jonomo: yeah I have the same issue as well for at least a few weeks now on my Xbox one!

#774 Posted by roars5000 (99 posts) -

I noticed that the Giant Bomb Apple TV app was updated and it looks great, but the live feed hasn’t been working. When I click on the live option, I get the endless pinwheel of death. I’ve tried restarting the Apple TV but the app still doesn’t work for the live feed.

#775 Edited by EsDeib (127 posts) -

@roars5000: “I noticed that the Giant Bomb Apple TV app was updated and it looks great, but the live feed hasn’t been working. When I click on the live option, I get the endless pinwheel of death. I’ve tried restarting the Apple TV but the app still doesn’t work for the live feed.”

Came here to report this as well. Thanks!

#776 Posted by Forcen (2582 posts) -

I found a hacky workaround for the Chromecast stuff that involves casting the tab from your PC instead of the video, this used to be easy but Chrome changed somehow so you can't do it if the site supports direct casting. Obviously this requires you to keep Chrome open, it uses more cpu but at least you can watch gb videos without stuttering.

To do this you need ublock origin with advanced mode enabled. (backup your settings before trying this just in case)

Go into My Rules, and paste these two lines of text into Temporary rules:

www.giantbomb.com https://www.gstatic.com/cast/ script block

www.giantbomb.com https://www.gstatic.com/cv/js/sender/ script block

Save and commit.

This breaks the built in casting for this site so you can cast the tab instead, there is no other way to do this in chrome afaik. When this gets fixed you will need to undo this to get the normal casting to work or just disable ublock origin.

#777 Edited by cyberspacecat (345 posts) -

Finding that the new arrows for browsing the video carousel are not appearing in the browser, even with extensions like adblock and tracking/autoplay blocking features turned off.

It looks like this: https://puu.sh/Dxbon/e53f82d4dd.png and it happens on both Chrome and Firefox.

Edit: Seems to have been fixed.

Edit 2: Nevermind, seems random, sometimes gone from FF version, sometimes both, no clue.

#778 Posted by DudeBro33 (7 posts) -

Chromecast (I know) streaming from an android device or browser window seems broken again. Only the blue logo is shown - no picture.

#779 Posted by stinkygreencat (26 posts) -
@rorie said:
@therealturk said:

@goodacre0081 said:

Hey, there's a bug report in for this and hopefully someone will be able to look into it soon! Sorry for the trouble.

I'm getting this issue now on the latest Stadia video. Have had it in the past on occasion. Any news of a fix? Refreshing isn't helping. (Safari)

#780 Posted by Rorie (5923 posts) -

@rorie said:
@therealturk said:

@goodacre0081 said:

I'm getting this issue now on the latest Stadia video. Have had it in the past on occasion. Any news of a fix? Refreshing isn't helping. (Safari)

Does this happen in other browsers for you?

Staff
#781 Posted by stinkygreencat (26 posts) -

@rorie said:
@stinkygreencat said:
@rorie said:
@therealturk said:

@goodacre0081 said:

Does this happen in other browsers for you?

Tried in Brave but only seem to be getting the Youtube option on either browser now (on the Stadia vid). At least I can watch it though. :)

Will report if I find any more videos that have the same problem. Have tried other videos and they seem to be working. Just seems to be something I come across every now and then.

#783 Posted by dhechler (16 posts) -

Apple TV does not allow videos to be clicked on in the search area. Tested on Apple TV 4k on multiple units. Searched for "hitman" and tried to click on several videos.

#784 Edited by Shivoa (1590 posts) -

Getting unable to load video (endless spinner), only for the HTML5 player, & only when the video file is on the GB rather than Gamespot CDN.

gamespot-vh.akamaihd.net returns an index_0_av.m3u8 file fine (and goes on to grab the segments, plays the video etc, exactly as expected) but giantbomb-vh.akamaihd.net is returning 403 Forbidden so stalling.

eg It's 403ing for file https://giantbomb-vh.akamaihd.net/i/2019/06/08/tr_starwars_20190608_,8000,.mp4.csmil/index_0_av.m3u8?null=0 (endlessly looping the request) after returning a https://giantbomb-vh.akamaihd.net/i/2019/06/08/tr_starwars_20190608_,8000,.mp4.csmil/master.m3u8?hdnts=st=1560020506~exp=1560106906~acl=**~id=3006~hmac=046c3274cc7a75ada32d6f53cb87fe9f3559288a549927b17861bf1bd5b250cd just fine (200). Was working yesterday, not working today. Maybe a config issue on my end but also I have no idea why I'm getting 403s.

Have tried logging out & back in to try and clear my cookies, flushing site data etc. Not sure what I should try next.

Edit: Yep, my end [Firefox Developer Edition on Windows 10 - the 68.0b8 patch happened about the same time as this issue started but also my FF crashed so could have corrupted some local data?] but I'm not sure what. Tried with no Extensions & still getting the same 403s. Tried from a different browser & it worked fine so seems like something is misconfigured with my browser somewhere.

#785 Edited by Puchiko (847 posts) -

Is there anyway to force the app to use a higher bitrate during a livestream? I have a 100mbs connection but half the time it keeps defaulting to an SD or lower stream. My iPad and Win10 tablet will stream the live stuff just fine at HD but I've had to watch nearly all the UPFs and the recent E3 shows at low bitrate if I use the app. Heck I can even stream all three at once and the latter two will still be in HD but the roku app will almost always be in SD or lower.

I checked in the settings for the app and it is set to default HD but it still only outputting low bitrate.

#786 Edited by stinkygreencat (26 posts) -

Having issues watching the livestreams in Safari on both desktop and mobile.

Stream starts ok but after a while the sound cuts out. Comes back after a while but then will go again. This has also just crashed my Mac when trying to watch the latest Nintendo E3 stream.

Have only had it happen on the livestreams.

#787 Edited by brianbeatdown (47 posts) -

Trying to watch the e3 nite 1 video on my iPad in Safari leads to constant audio dropouts. If I rewind, sometimes it’ll come back but it just happens again later in the video. I notice that the audio will get off sync briefly before this happens. It’s making enjoying any of the content very annoying.

#788 Edited by stingo (106 posts) -

The GB Roku app on my Ultra will not load. Is this a thing, or just me?

#789 Posted by 400lb_Gorilla (67 posts) -

The Chromecast issue had been fixed for a while, but starting today with the Outer Wilds video, I am getting constant stuttering when using Chromecast. Anyone else having that problem?

#790 Edited by KissTheDevil (36 posts) -

Just popping in to say that since the big update the videos have loaded poorly for me. I use the latest Firefox and I usually have to refresh videos 3 to 5 times before they actually play. I play on html5 on high and I have more than enough internet speed to handle that. I don't use pop up blockers or anything on the site because I'm premium.

Also embiggen being gone is just the pits. I still open videos and very briefly they are embiggened and then they go to the new format.

It feels like the big update actually made everything far worse and took features away.

Oh I edited back in to say, it sucks paying premium but if it's not premium content I'd prefer to watch it on youtube because of how poor the site works.

#791 Posted by darklingscribe (61 posts) -

I view the site primarily on Safari on an iPad Pro. Recently the fullscreen option on the videos has stopped working for me. I’d tap it and a fullscreen version of the video doesn’t appear, the video window embedded into the site freezes when I do this, but the audio still plays for some strange reason.

#792 Edited by DanOD (10 posts) -

Just coming back to GB after dropping off their content a bit this year. Still having issues with the site and still unable to watch anything except videos through YouTube.

Every video I'm getting audio drops outs. Video starts fine, but audio cuts out after 10-15 seconds. I've tried Progressive, tired HTML5, played with quality, nothing works.

I use Safari on a Mac, whether that affects it somehow.

I've been a premium member since 2014, but can't watch any premium content. At this rate I won't be renewing.

Edit: Can't even download the videos to watch offline, the 'processing' bug which was seemingly fixed still occurs. Damn this site is a trainwreck nowadays.

#793 Posted by stinkygreencat (26 posts) -

@rorie said:
@therealturk said:

@goodacre0081 said:

Still getting this problem. New Bloodstained QL is latest example.

Impossible to watch. Either get audio playing underneath Youtube video link, or get two videos/audio playing on top of each other.

Please do something to fix this. Seems like the site has become almost unusable with Safari since the redesign. Pointless paying for a subscription anymore.

#794 Posted by brofaux (31 posts) -

I’ve seen this floating around but I’m also having issues with live west coast videos while watching on iPhone in Safari. The audio always cuts out after a few seconds and never returns. Again, I have no issues with live streams on the east coast, only west.

#795 Edited by okayrene (10 posts) -

I’m running the Giant Bomb app on the latest version of tvOS. There’s been this long time bug I run into where if you spam forward or backward a couple times, the frame rate of the video tanks to 1 frame every 3 seconds. This will last for about 10 seconds. I wish I had more exact reproducible steps but it’s a bug I frequently run into.

#796 Edited by Forcen (2582 posts) -

I just tried chromecast for the first time in a while and it worked perfectly, watched the latest crime crew with a generation 2 chromecast.

#797 Posted by bybeach (6393 posts) -

HI! For the past 2 days no videos are playing for me except for GBTV. Videos for anything else will not play except for those offering you-tube. Progressive and HTML are no-go. I am a premium member so that isn't the problem. Opening with I.E. explorer doesn't work this time either. And like @danod I cannot download.

Thank you. I'm not too upset as long as everyone keeps picking good stuff to watch on GBTV like they have been. Always ready for another Brad-Vinny Demon Souls episode...

#799 Edited by bybeach (6393 posts) -

A few minutes ago, everything worked. Then it went back to not working.

EDIT; Now videos are working again on a third quit site, then re-try.

EDIT; Not working again...

EDIT; Working again, lol.

Only works intermittently, not working now

And not working Monday morning 09:20am pacific time

#800 Posted by bybeach (6393 posts) -

No one has said so, but now the videos are consistently working.

Thank you!

That is, if you all did anything...