Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

#801 Edited by gunslingerNZ (2009 posts) -

I've had playback issues since the player update too. The site used to work fine for me but now I very frequently experience videos not loading after hitting play or when they do having playback stop frequently to buffer when it really shouldn't do based on my connection. I've tried this on several different connections, mobile and fibre, chrome and firefox and I have the same issue. I'm wondering if it's region specific & related to the CDN you're using since I don't see that many people complaining about what is a pretty poor experience?

When I look at the browser console there's a request that is continually returning an error, if a dev wants to message me I'm happy to send logs.

Edit: The blocked requests were actually related to network level adblocking I have which is blocking what I assume is your video analytics, it's blocking requests to the following domains: dw.cbsi.com & sb.scorecardresearch.com. Can anyone tell me if you'd expect that to affect video playback? It could just be coincidence but when I notice that the video is playing back correctly it seems to be doing less calls to these domains, I didn't whitelist those domains it just seems like when they're being called less frequently playback is good.

#802 Posted by DosBuster (5 posts) -

Hi all,

I have had this issue for a while now, but am only just reporting it now (my bad).

I am on a chrome device with windows 10 64-bit, and the issue is where videos may take a few refreshes before they actually load. Often the spinner will spin for HOURS with no loading, and it can take a few refreshes before I get it to finally load.

While I'm here, autoplay seems very broken? Most of the time (despite having it enabled in my account) it doesn't happen when I'd like it to, I've had some success by adding ?autoplay=1 to the video link, but also just now with Crime Crew latest episode it did the transition automatically without me needing to add the argument.

Thanks!

#803 Posted by DosBuster (5 posts) -

@wcarle

Found something interesting in the chrome console,

[18:00:45 GMT+1000 (Australian Eastern Standard Time).296] [ERROR] [MediaHeartbeat] API call trackPlay is unsupported in the current state.

Does that mean anything?

#804 Posted by Gooddoggy (568 posts) -

In the past day or two, the GB player stopped working for me when using Firefox. Embedded youtube videos still play fine. But in the GB player I just get the loading circle.

Firefox 68.0.1

Mojave 10.14.6

#805 Edited by audino (1 posts) -

@gooddoggy:

Try turning off content blocking for the site, that's what fixed the no loading for me. It's the little shield icon in the url bar on the left.

#806 Edited by kia (1 posts) -

Just started happening, but the GB player is running super choppy, especially in full screen. Seems to be the only video player with that issue for me. Using Chrome.

edit - video card driver update fixed it.

#807 Posted by MisterPlow (5 posts) -

this video player has simply got to go. it's been absolute garbage for the entirety ive ever used it. it only barely works when it does, requiring 3 page reloads just to get going. honestly, gb needs to figure something out. it's as bad as a local news station website.

#808 Posted by foxmulder (1993 posts) -

Just today an issue has started when a video is in full screen mode it plays for a bit, but then the image freezes but the audio is still going on. Sometimes it resumes after 10 seconds, most times it doesn't.

Watching it minimized is better, but it will freeze for 5 seconds here and there and resume.

I use Firefox 68.0.1 the newest update.

#809 Posted by Dryker (1131 posts) -

Don't know if this a bug per se, but my downloaded videos are starting to buffer a lot. I went ahead and downloaded the Nvidia update, in case it was my card. That seemed to break my audio, so I eventually fixed that. Restarted my PC... since that seems to be the thing you do after you change things. "Downloaded" the video again, and it's still buffering a lot. This was happening a lot a few months back, but then it seemed to go away when I got Gigablast, so I attributed the better performance to that, but now it seems to be back. Windows 10, Chrome.

#810 Posted by LionsLinden (57 posts) -

Can't watch any video on the site anymore. Videos are just stuck in the eternal loading screen.

#811 Edited by Sebion (3 posts) -

For weeks I'm having more and more issues with the videos on the site. I'm encountering a host of different problems: sometimes videos will not load at all. Sometimes the quality will get stuck on the lowest one and trying to change it will crash or freeze the video. In some cases videos start fine but then they'll freeze randomly during playback again and again. Sometimes videos will rewind a few seconds on their own but continue playing. Sometimes videos don't resume after pausing but automatically skip to the next (?) one of the same series. Sometimes videos will simply stop playing after a few minutes as if they had been played fully (just happened with the newest Playdate, Brad's Youngblood stream).

I'm mainly using the PS4 browser and my TV's browser (LG OLED 55B7). I never had any of the issues described until a few weeks ago, but now I'm at a point where I can' watch any videos in my preferred environment anymore. The alternative I have left is using my PC. This is annoying as it's connected to my main TV in another room and there is no way for me to use it with the TV in my living room, where I usually want to watch the GB content. All my appliances are connected via ethernet to 100 mbit internet. I also have no troubles at all to stream 4K HDR content on Netflix or Amazon so I doubt my connection is to blame here. Maybe someone here has any tips for me? I really hope this can and will be fixed on GB's end though, as it's getting really annoying.

#812 Posted by Carboot_Soul (24 posts) -

Unfortunately I have to report the GB Roku channel (beta version v2.2 build 4) is very broken since an update in the past few hours. It now often crashes on startup but when it does launch it only lists archived shows, so nothing current or recent is listed. The regular (non beta v1.5) channel doesn't load at all. Any chance the beta channel can be rolled back, or the working version as of yesterday be pushed to live?

#813 Posted by jeffhesser (18 posts) -

Broken for me also

#814 Posted by Turpskadey (46 posts) -

the giantbomb roku app is opening, says it's loading, and then just goes back to the roku main menu.

tried installing the beta in case there was something breaking it and it was already addressed in the beta app, but i was apparently running the beta app already.

#816 Edited by AustDude (1 posts) -

No audio on live streams. Have to reload refresh window at least a dozen times and then I may get audio. Using Windows 10 Edge and Xbox One edge. I don't use any other browsers and have no need for any other browsers. Just basic browsers no addons or anything. This only happens on live streams. All other content and once live stuff is posted after the fact everything works without issue.

#817 Posted by jeffhesser (18 posts) -

It is back up and working for me now.

#818 Posted by Cepxico (49 posts) -

Perhaps I'm blind but I can't for the life of me find how much time has passed/is remaining on a video once it has started on the mobile site. I'm not sure if this is intentional, here's a picture example of what I'm talking about. (Note, I can't see it whether the player is active or not)

https://i.imgur.com/T0h1ejF.jpg

I'm currently on the most recently updated version of Samsung Galaxy S10+ running a current version of Google Chrome as well.

#820 Edited by petmis (2 posts) -

I'm having issues with premium content not loading. Free content plays just fine but Breaking Brad and Playdate are either never loading or are taking a long time, playing for 5 seconds, buffering for 40, playing for another 5 and that just repeats. Firefox, Win 10, content block disabled.

#821 Posted by SayGrrr (3 posts) -

The Giant Bomb Apple TV app keeps skipping back 5 seconds about once every minute during the UPF livestream. It doesnt matter if I'm watching live or pause and let it buffer for a bit. I'm on an Apple TV 4k. Archived videos work fine.

#822 Posted by Ryman86 (14 posts) -

the giantbomb roku app is opening, says it's loading, and then just goes back to the roku main menu.

tried installing the beta in case there was something breaking it and it was already addressed in the beta app, but i was apparently running the beta app already.

I am having the exact same issue. I am running a Roku Streaming Stick and the build version of the app on the Roku store is 1.5 apparently. I checked for updates but that seems to be the most recent build.

#823 Posted by Ryman86 (14 posts) -

Okay, fixed on my end. I had to download the beta version of the app.

#824 Posted by h2yo (39 posts) -

Issue: Premium Videos often spin and rarely load. If they do load, they frequently pause to buffer.

Browser: Chrome/Firefox/Opera
Internet Speed: 100 megabit down, 40 megabit up.

Note: The free stuff works fine, I'm guessing it's the way you guys encode the premium stuff?

#825 Posted by soupbones (366 posts) -

@saygrrr: same issue for me. Been like this for weeks. I just posted a new topic about it. https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/live-streaming-freezing-or-skipping-back-in-apple--1870793/

#826 Posted by thomasonmars (1 posts) -

Hi,

Im on safari, premium user and logged in.

Wherever I go to play a video the browser loads both youtube and premium video together and I get a double playback. Has happened before but a page refresh used to fix the issue, since about a week agothe two videos consistently load together and I cannot watch any video that also loads from YouTube on the site.

#827 Edited by aaronmt (28 posts) -

Issue during live streaming:

Safari 12.1.2 MacOS 10.14.6, past few weeks Auto/High/Low all playback fine for a few moments and then stop to a spinner. I have to either refresh the page to resume playback or change quality. Even if I select Low, I still get playback for a bit followed by a spinner. This has been recently happening. No change in residential wired connection. No issues elsewhere.

#828 Posted by Kerned (1197 posts) -

Mac OSX 10.9.5, Chrome 67.0.3396.87, loggin in Premium Member

I'm no longer able to use the GB player in Chrome. Clicking the hamburger button presents "Return to GB Player" as an option, and the cursor changes on hover, but clicking has no effect. I am able to return to the GB player in Firefox, but the setting does not carry over when switching back to Chrome (not sure if it should or not, just an observation).

#829 Posted by Kerned (1197 posts) -

@kerned: To expand on my post above, Premium videos still seem to default to the GB Player, but I can only use the YouTube player for non-premium videos. When I click on "Return to GB Player" on a non-premium video, the text turns red but nothing happens.

#830 Posted by Lazycon (38 posts) -

The most recent Bombcast premium video was very steppy and was buffering way more than usual sometimes several times a minute today. I had a solid connection and other video sites were loading without issues over the same time period.

#833 Posted by meissnerd (225 posts) -

Hi,

I can't seem to watch infinite within the gb player. It plays just fine on Twitch, but on gb it doesn't move at all. No sound either. Stalls on all rate settings as well. Not sure what to do!

#834 Edited by hollitz (2383 posts) -

Using Chrome, logging in as Subscriber. Windows 10 64 bit.

Sometimes when starting videos, the audio will launch twice with one audio track running a few seconds after the other. Reloading usually fixes it.

#835 Posted by Spiritof (2416 posts) -

Weird bug, but the last few videos (the first time I watch them) will skip to the end and I only get to see the last couple of seconds. Starting over works, but it's kind of jarring when it happens.

Running Windows 10 - Firefox 69.0 - GB Player

Seems to work as intended on Chrome/Brave.

#836 Posted by Eldredpe (48 posts) -

I've been having a problem with videos on chrome when using the youtube player on the site. It seems like it has the GB player layered under it, and when you hit play that underlayer video starts playing, so you get the audio but no video, then pressing play on the video again plays the youtube source video correctly but the under layer audio keeps playing in the background.

Happens about half the time I start a video, and I'm pretty sure it's only with the youtube player.

#837 Posted by BlackLagoon (2109 posts) -

I'm suddenly not able to watch livestreams in the Video Bomb android phone or the GB Enthusiast Android TV apps. It worked just fine yesterday with the Dreamcast stream, but now they simply don't appear in the apps. Regular premium videos play just fine, and logging in and out doesn't seem to change anything.

#838 Posted by swalpole53 (2 posts) -

I'm having trouble downloading the recent Beatles Rock Band stream. The download links keep saying "processing" so I can't select a video quality in order to download. Appears I am not the only one having this problem too. I'm using Google Chrome so do wonder if it is a potential browser issue? However, I use Chrome to download other videos with no problem whatsoever.

#839 Posted by Rorie (5912 posts) -

I'm having trouble downloading the recent Beatles Rock Band stream. The download links keep saying "processing" so I can't select a video quality in order to download. Appears I am not the only one having this problem too. I'm using Google Chrome so do wonder if it is a potential browser issue? However, I use Chrome to download other videos with no problem whatsoever.

Let me see if someone can look into this; sorry for the trouble.

Staff
#840 Posted by swalpole53 (2 posts) -

@rorie: Thanks dude, appreciate your help :)

#841 Posted by Forcen (2581 posts) -
#842 Posted by Rorie (5912 posts) -

@rorie: Thanks dude, appreciate your help :)

Sounds like Vinny is having a tough time with the upload since it's so big, but he'll try again tonight.

Staff
Avatar image for vertebreaker2k1
#843 Posted by vertebreaker2k1 (18 posts) -

I'm suddenly not able to watch livestreams in the Video Bomb android phone or the GB Enthusiast Android TV apps. It worked just fine yesterday with the Dreamcast stream, but now they simply don't appear in the apps. Regular premium videos play just fine, and logging in and out doesn't seem to change anything.

Ditto. When I go to the Live section, I only see GBI. I've tried closing the app, rebooting the Fire Stick, but the live feed doesn't appear anymore.

#844 Posted by BlackLagoon (2109 posts) -

@vertebreaker2k1: It seems bizarrely inconsistent. Today the earlier Breaking Brad Doom stream worked just fine, but the current Modern Warfare one isn't showing up.

#845 Posted by zetsaika (5 posts) -

Hi. For some months now, the video downloads speeds have been fluctuating between almost 0 to normal speed.

It happens on all videos, tried different browsers and another pc in the house, different qualities, with or without extensions.

Sometimes i also get the error in the console: loading resource "link to video here" failed. Not exactly the message but is pretty close. Can't take a picture cause right now its fine.

• IPv6 is: 2804:7f7:e38a:ed7:d16:5ffd:58e2:f276
  • IPv4 is: 177.158.167.124

Thanks in advance!

#846 Posted by shibooya (9 posts) -

Extremely frustrated, loyal fan here. For the past few weeks, videos are either constantly stopping every minute or so to buffer, or buffer endlessly. Through browser, Apple TV, or iPad - nothing works. When trying to download the video through browser, it consistently stops at .3%. Same with iPad. Every other streaming service works perfectly fine. I can only watch the GB content released on youtube...anyone else with a similar problem? It's beyond frustrating.

#847 Posted by TheRealTurk (594 posts) -

Not sure if this is the place for this specifically, but here's a weird one:

On the PS4 browser, pausing a video will cause the video and audio to pause, but the the video itself appears to still advance behind the scenes, and unpausing the video will cause the next video the queue to play instead.

For example, if I'm watching a 25 minute Quick Look and pause at minute 15 to make some food or take a phone call or whatever, and I'm gone for 10 minutes or more, when I come back unpausing the video will cause a new video to play. And because the video I was watching is considered "complete," going back to it does not remember my place - I've got to start from the beginning and try to remember where I was when I left off.

Like I said, a weird one on a browser that probably isn't used all that much.

#848 Posted by pbjpd (1 posts) -

@shibooya: I cant speak to the downloads stopping or iPad/browser issues, but I am encountering the buffering issue on Apple TV. Every single video stops to buffer after 30-60 seconds. The buffering can take anywhere from 10 seconds to 2 minutes... if it even resolves itself. Sometimes I have to close the video and re-open it for playback to start back up. But then it stops after another 30 seconds. It’s beyond frustrating and definitely not the Apple TV - every other streaming service I use has no problems with HD or 4K content.