Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

elliotcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've had the same issue. Up until very recently it would take up to 10 seconds for the player to properly load, after which it would play OK. As of today, nothing.

Disabling ublock origin has fixed the issue for me, though.

chaostime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#952  Edited By chaostime

@authenticm said:

@rorie as of earlier this week, videos no longer play on Giant Bomb for me. I click the play button and it just stays black. The video thumbnail also doesn't appear.

I use Firefox on Windows 10. I do not adblock the site, and I even have it whitelisted in Firefox so it doesn't block trackers or anything else.

I'm getting this too :(

I can't consume of content on the site. I can use Youtube for QLs but I can't get any premium content anymore as the video player is just a black box after clicking on the play button

The Gamespot Player works fine though :/

Windows 10

Chrome Version 80.0.3987.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#953 rorie  Staff

@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

@rorie as of earlier this week, videos no longer play on Giant Bomb for me. I click the play button and it just stays black. The video thumbnail also doesn't appear.

I use Firefox on Windows 10. I do not adblock the site, and I even have it whitelisted in Firefox so it doesn't block trackers or anything else.

Hey, just wanted to report the same thing here. Using Chrome browser on my laptop, windows 10. Same as the user above, no adblock or anything. I first noticed it earlier today while trying to watch last weeks UPF but I clicked around other videos and same result. At the time, Alex's live stream of Fight for NY did work, but only live. As of right now, no videos will play for me at all.

Hey, your reply to my message has made me discover another bug. When I put my cursor on the bell icon in the top right corner of the site to make notifications appear, the dropdown window appears for half a second before disappearing and prompting a full width-long red banner to appear on which is written "there was a problem displaying recent messages, try again later". This feels related to my original bug.

Hey, can you all let me know where you're located and if you've tried another browser? Do the vids work on your phones?

CamGearz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#954  Edited By CamGearz

@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey, just wanted to report the same thing here. Using Chrome browser on my laptop, windows 10. Same as the user above, no adblock or anything. I first noticed it earlier today while trying to watch last weeks UPF but I clicked around other videos and same result. At the time, Alex's live stream of Fight for NY did work, but only live. As of right now, no videos will play for me at all.

Hey, your reply to my message has made me discover another bug. When I put my cursor on the bell icon in the top right corner of the site to make notifications appear, the dropdown window appears for half a second before disappearing and prompting a full width-long red banner to appear on which is written "there was a problem displaying recent messages, try again later". This feels related to my original bug.

Hey, can you all let me know where you're located and if you've tried another browser? Do the vids work on your phones?

Hey Rorie, thanks for looking into it. I'm located in northeast Ohio, laptop chrome browser (Version 80.0.3987.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)), which does not work. If I switch to Microsoft Edge (Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0), that does load the GB player and does stream correctly after hitting play.

As for mobile, video does not load up, I'm on a Samsung S10e. Chrome mobile browser (80.0.3987.117) does not work and neither does the Samsung Internet browser (11.0.00.76)

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@rorie said:

@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

I am in Canada, east coast. I have just tried watching videos on my phone, and it works (with the Firefox mobile browser). I have also tried with Edge on my computer, and it works too. It appears to be a problem with Firefox desktop. I reiterate that it's a new problem, as of last week.

chaostime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey Rorie,

I was doing some investigation into my own setup and while I don't have an adblocker installed on my browser, I do have a piHole server which i always forget about.

Anyway, I guess at some point videos started being served from production-cmp.isgprivacy.cbsi.com? This was blacklisted automatically on PiHole. I whitelisted it and now I don't seem to have any issues.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#957 rorie  Staff

@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey Rorie,

I was doing some investigation into my own setup and while I don't have an adblocker installed on my browser, I do have a piHole server which i always forget about.

Anyway, I guess at some point videos started being served from production-cmp.isgprivacy.cbsi.com? This was blacklisted automatically on PiHole. I whitelisted it and now I don't seem to have any issues.

OK, that's good to know and hopefully will help other people affected by this. My next step was going to be to tell people to try GameSpot videos as well, but I'm assuming this would definitely affect them too.

elliotcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey Rorie,

I think this might've helped me as well? Disabling ublock in windows didn't seem to work as easily as it did on OSX, but I don't know whether it was me adding that domain to the whitelist or that it was a caching issue that went away when I opened chrome dev tools, but seems to be working now on both platforms.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#959  Edited By Forcen

@@||isgprivacy.cbsi.com/dist/optanon.js$script

This exception rule should be included in the easylist privacy filterlist in ublock origin which is also the one blocking the domain. It should work if you have that list updated but try adding it. You can also check the log in ublock and see what lists are causing this if it's not easylist privacy.

The problem with some pi-hole lists is that they often take all the domain rules from lists like easylist which isn't made for that software, that list also included that exception based on the thing after the domain but pi-hole can't respect those...

CamGearz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@chaostime said:
@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey Rorie,

OK, that's good to know and hopefully will help other people affected by this. My next step was going to be to tell people to try GameSpot videos as well, but I'm assuming this would definitely affect them too.

i just went over to Gamespot and the error I got over there is that the video is in a forever state of "loading", the video doesn't play.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#961 rorie  Staff

@camgearz said:
@rorie said:
@chaostime said:
@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey Rorie,

i just went over to Gamespot and the error I got over there is that the video is in a forever state of "loading", the video doesn't play.

Sorry, are you affected by the above as well on GB? Do any of the solutions posted above affect you? Running ublock/a pihole or something else? Have you tried incognito?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@camgearz said:
@rorie said:
@chaostime said:
@rorie said:
@authenticm said:
@camgearz said:
@authenticm said:

Hey Rorie,

Sorry, are you affected by the above as well on GB? Do any of the solutions posted above affect you? Running ublock/a pihole or something else? Have you tried incognito?

In my case, I tried disabling the adblocker, which didn't do anything. I also tried incognito mode, and it still doesn't work.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#963 rorie  Staff

@authenticm: Do any other browsers work? Does your phone work on wifi? When you're on data?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#964  Edited By AuthenticM

@rorie said:

@authenticm: Do any other browsers work? Does your phone work on wifi? When you're on data?

I do not have data on my phone; I need to use wifi. I have tried watching a video on my phone, on Firefox, and it works. On my desktop, I have tried Edge and it works. The issue seems to reside in Firefox desktop.

That said, I no longer have the aforementioned issue with the notification dropdown menu. Notifications work fine now! I do not know what changed.

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#965  Edited By soulmanim3

Several videos on the XBMC Kodi app are no longer working. Started Wednesday and it’s a mix of free and premium: UPF, QL’s, and Breaking Brad. All this week. Started 2/26,

I’ve rebooted the rPi3 and re-linked my premium account. Pulled up the same video in the iOS GBTV app. The thumbs are missing there as they are on XMBC, but it launches there.

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hi,

since January every stream, free and premium, I watch is freezing after a few minutes. Sometimes it's freezing every few seconds, sometimes it just stops playing. It's not particularly problematic on free videos because you can always watch them on Youtube but for premium video it's frustrating, to say the least. My connection is considered good (> 300Mb/s) by french standards and I'm watching on the Xbox app and on Edge app also on Xbox. Before 2020 I barely noticed this problem (it occurred sometimes, particularly during the weekends) but now it happens almost every day.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#967 rorie  Staff

Hi,

since January every stream, free and premium, I watch is freezing after a few minutes. Sometimes it's freezing every few seconds, sometimes it just stops playing. It's not particularly problematic on free videos because you can always watch them on Youtube but for premium video it's frustrating, to say the least. My connection is considered good (> 300Mb/s) by french standards and I'm watching on the Xbox app and on Edge app also on Xbox. Before 2020 I barely noticed this problem (it occurred sometimes, particularly during the weekends) but now it happens almost every day.

Hmm, does the same problem persist on your phone or desktop, assuming you use those?

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hi,

Strangely, no, it seems to work well on my phone and IPad but I don't use them often to watch video contents.

Fnert_Bjerglen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello. I watch a lot of old content via the GB Enthusiast App on my fire stick HD. I now get a 404 error on anything older than 6ish months. I know it's not an official GB app, but was there a change in how older stuff plays that could cause this app that previously worked perfectly to not recognize the format? Thanks.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#970 rorie  Staff

Hello. I watch a lot of old content via the GB Enthusiast App on my fire stick HD. I now get a 404 error on anything older than 6ish months. I know it's not an official GB app, but was there a change in how older stuff plays that could cause this app that previously worked perfectly to not recognize the format? Thanks.

I'm not aware of anything that would be specifically affecting older videos like this, but let me know if the problem persists and I'll see if an engineer can look into it!

jaytima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just chimming in to say that the Firefox desktop issue of videos not loading at all is still happening with Firefox 74. It sucks.

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#973  Edited By soulmanim3

Hello,

Following up on my earlier posts. The issues with the Enthusiast apps are impacting the XBMC apps. It is mostly west coast videos. I've included some pics. The videos with a black/white film reel instead of a thumbnail of the video no longer work. All of the videos renamed to Party of One also no longer work. They worked when they were called Home Game or Old Games. The issue is now impacting old videos as mentioned above. Notice in the mobile image from the Enthusiast iOS App the same videos are blank and won't launch.

No Caption Provided

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#974 rorie  Staff

Hello,

Following up on my earlier posts. The issues with the Enthusiast apps are impacting the XBMC apps. It is mostly west coast videos. I've included some pics. The videos with a black/white film reel instead of a thumbnail of the video no longer work. All of the videos renamed to Party of One also no longer work. They worked when they were called Home Game or Old Games. The issue is now impacting old videos as mentioned above. Notice in the mobile image from the Enthusiast iOS App the same videos are blank and won't launch.

No Caption Provided
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

This is on Will's docket to work on!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#975 rorie  Staff

Just chimming in to say that the Firefox desktop issue of videos not loading at all is still happening with Firefox 74. It sucks.

Hey, I've been testing this out myself and it looks like the switcher to go back to the site player isn't appearing on videos at the moment for some reason - it looks like it's working ok on some older versions of FF, which makes me suspect it's a change that FF pushed out. Are you able to click the download button on those videos? Does the video play when you do so?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@authenticm said:

Hey, I've been testing this out myself and it looks like the switcher to go back to the site player isn't appearing on videos at the moment for some reason - it looks like it's working ok on some older versions of FF, which makes me suspect it's a change that FF pushed out. Are you able to click the download button on those videos? Does the video play when you do so?

oh shit, it does work when I access the video through the download button! I guess I'll be doing this for the time being. Thanks.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#977 rorie  Staff

@rorie said:
@authenticm said:

oh shit, it does work when I access the video through the download button! I guess I'll be doing this for the time being. Thanks.

OK, sorry about that! I think someone has a bead on the FF problem overall.

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks Rorie! Have a great night.

function404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackw1212 said:

No Caption Provided

I'm unable to play any video on an iPad 2nd generation, via built in Safari Browser (and Chrome requiring an unavailable ios update (as device is so old) to install, so not tested). Video player, along with description, download button, and tags all selects as though a single button, with no result nor video player appearing. See reference image's outlined area where nothing is clickable.

Did you ever find an answer to this? I recently found that Video Buddy was no longer working on my iPad 2nd gen, and figured since it was an old app it just may be time to give it up for listening to while I try to sleep and went for the website.

I tried the website and had the same problem in Safari and Chrome where a tap on anything you put in your square appears to darken briefly as if tapping everything in that element, but there is nothing that happens. I hope this gets fixed if possible (I know it's an old device and OS).

jackw1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@function404: No, still non functional on iPad 2nd Gen with as up-to-date OS as possible. Goes for all browsers available for the device also. Very annoying as used to work fine within a browser, as an alternative for an out-of-date OS to download the GBTV app. (and cant see any version history of the app, to download an old compliant version).

Maybe if just listening as a sleep aid, stick it on your phone. I've resorted to a tiny screen to watch premium vids at the moment, and am debating picking up a cheapo android tablet if any alternatives on that. Would be nice to get a response though for the issue.

function404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jackw1212:

I might use my older phone to do so, but a cheapo tablet isn't a bad idea (though, I've considered a Surface after Drew said it was great for emulators a few years back).

I'm assuming since it's an older device and OS it's not a high priority if one at all for the engineers, which I get, but it is a bummer for us that keep our old devices. I hate upgrading devices if I don't need to, especially since I don't use my tablet much anymore other than for videos. I feel better I wasn't the only lost soul with this problem, puts me a little at ease, lol. If I find any fix I'll let you know!

soulmanim3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#982  Edited By soulmanim3

@rorie Thanks for getting the XBMC issue fixed. I tested the videos and they work again. Thanks to Will too!

Sheltering in place is less boring now. Stay safe out there.

Krumb311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, went to bed last night watching the recent Aftermath and woke up this morning to playback errors on every video on the site. Currently on a chromebook and have tried updating, restarting, etc. It appears to only throw the error when I'm on the site as it will play the videos no problem off of youtube itself. Any ideas??

reking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#984  Edited By reking

Using Firefox 74.0 on Windows 10. Completely uninstalling Ublock Origin, and resetting my browsers settings makes videos work (using the button on this mozilla support website). I then reinstalled Ublock Origin, closed and reopened Firefox, and videos did not work anymore. Doesn't matter what I whitelist (at least of what I've tried so far), and Ublock Origin doesn't state that it has blocked anything in its log. Also cannot view videos on gamespot.com. Download button works.