Video problems (including Roku/Chromecast/etc)? Get in here!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

harperdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1051  Edited By harperdc

Still trying to juggle things but not working. Trying from Japan, but iOS (iPhone / iPad), MacOS (Safari and Chrome), whitelisting on ABP and others, turned them off/disabled even but it's not working. Can download and then view, but just pressing 'play' hangs, and viewing via Download doesn't track the length of video watched or come up on Continue Watching on the home page.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

melkore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am using Stephen Black's host files to block adware/malware with my CoreDNS server and I can't get videos to load in the browser but can in the mobile app on the same network

Repo of hosts I am using with CoreDNS: https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

I'm not on their latest list but if there are cdns that are being blocked that shouldn't be, opening an issue would possibly help. they release almost daily right now and I haven't kept up. At one point Dragalia Lost was blocked for me for example but fixed in the next release.

As of 2.16.1 (released 5hrs ago) videos are still blocked in browser for me

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: It's been close to a month now of not being able to watch videos on this site because the play button doesn't work. Is anyone even working on it? I get that it's the apocalypse so if there's no one to work on this stuff just say so. The silence and lack of response is starting to bother me though.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@rorie: It's been close to a month now of not being able to watch videos on this site because the play button doesn't work. Is anyone even working on it? I get that it's the apocalypse so if there's no one to work on this stuff just say so. The silence and lack of response is starting to bother me though.

I made a separate thread for this over here and people have been having some success with various whitelisting; can you take a look and see if any of those work for you?

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/if-the-play-button-is-not-working-for-you-on-video-1881976/

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melkore said:

I am using Stephen Black's host files to block adware/malware with my CoreDNS server and I can't get videos to load in the browser but can in the mobile app on the same network

Repo of hosts I am using with CoreDNS: https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

I'm not on their latest list but if there are cdns that are being blocked that shouldn't be, opening an issue would possibly help. they release almost daily right now and I haven't kept up. At one point Dragalia Lost was blocked for me for example but fixed in the next release.

As of 2.16.1 (released 5hrs ago) videos are still blocked in browser for me

Hey, sorry, are you saying we should open a ticket with Stephen Black or CoreDNS or...? I'm not really familiar with these kinds of tools.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

melkore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1058  Edited By melkore

@rorie Opening a ticket with Stephen Black's repo to get an exception to whatever your back end is trying to serve would be the path I would go down. I was trying to sniff that out to compare to my config but I couldn't extract it from Chrome's tools or my filtering shut it down before it got to the browser.

CoreDNS is just the server to handle DNS requests. The hosts file Stephen Black provides filters in a single file from a number of other community projects monitoring for ad and malware servers.

If you want I can help troubleshoot if you can provide some of the back end domains you guys use when serving video so I can cross reference. Nothing cbs or giantbomb came up in the search I did in their repo a few days ago

EDIT:

I did some more digging and it looks like you are using cdn.cookielaw.org and c.go-mpulse.net for cookie and usage tracking. Both show up in the black list. I'll comment them out and see if I can get a video to go.

More checking:

I switched back to google dns and videos play normally so it's all on my end. The host file is very aggressive on blocking any sort of tracking domain so doubleclick, summerhamster and others that popped up on your site showed up in my list. I can disable those filters, it's just an annoyance on my end for wanting to stay anonymous.

I started looking in to their community and they have a pretty hard stance against removing any of the tracking domains so I doubt they would add an exception.

NSMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just adding to the chorus of "My Roku app immediately crashes."

Been a happy paying customer for a long time and not going anywhere - it seems like the latest Roku update borked a lot of things. Even the YouTube app is acting funky.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1060  Edited By ev77

@rorie Unrelated to the website issues, but I have confirmed your tvOS app and mine share a similar bug I have submitted to Apple. On both apps when streaming HD quality videos on a 4k TV there is significant video stutter of videos of 1+ hour in length.Unsure if/when Apple will fix the bug but I have found a workaround that I believe fixes it in the meantime. As silly as it sounds, just alert whoever manages your iOS (tvOS?) code to find the AVPlayerLayer in the view after the video has loaded (or the layer has been set) and simply adjust it's width/height to be 1 less pixel in width/height. I also recenter my layer FWIW. You could potentially just set the view of the viewcontroller to be 1 pixel less as well and I'd imagine that would fix it too. If they have any other questions feel free to have them reach out.

stingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nsmike: I have the same issue. The app was working perfectly right up until I updated my Roku Ultra. Now it makes as if it is going to start, but doesn't.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stingo: @nsmike: Please check the Roku thread in this forum; I posted something there today that might help.

thomasonfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am using an Android TV Box. Even with the latest version of Chrome I cannot play the videos back without constant black screen.

More Importantly: Are you all planning to add a speed adjuster to the video player? I am 60+ days back. I want to watch all of your content to catch up but it is difficult. I cannot adjust the content play speed on premium content, only on the YouTube embedded videos.

mbkish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasonfa: I would love a speed feature as well to watch videos faster. I use it for the podcasts and would love it for longer videos.

Sojak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any word on why chromecast for the in house streaming tech doesn't work? When the streams are from twitch I can cast from my phone (Android, using Chrome) but can't cast when the streams are using the in house solution, like today and on Fridays for the premium streams.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sojak said:

Any word on why chromecast for the in house streaming tech doesn't work? When the streams are from twitch I can cast from my phone (Android, using Chrome) but can't cast when the streams are using the in house solution, like today and on Fridays for the premium streams.

Are you able to do that on Fridays with the Premium stuff? I think some of the tech we were using today was a bit new/prototypical.

Sojak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Nope, none of the non-Twitch live streams have worked for me for a few weeks now at least.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sojak said:

@rorie: Nope, none of the non-Twitch live streams have worked for me for a few weeks now at least.

Hmm we might not have Chromecast support on the new player yet but I can check.

Sojak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Thanks sir, appreciate it!

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seconding lack of Chromecast fun for on-site live streams. Pretty sure it used to work but as stated above hasn't for a couple of weeks.

It connects but doesn't load stream.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm using a Roku TV. The GB app has stopped working in the past few days. When I select the app, it starts to open, I see the logo on the screen for a split second, and then it automatically closes. It does this every time, even after uninstalling and reinstalling the app. Anyone else experiencing this?

Avatar image for brianrobinson26
BrianRobinson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GB app also stopped working on my Roku TV over the weekend. Pretty sure it was when the TV firmware updated. TV is now on software version 9.3.0 build 4182 if that helps at all.

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfidget: @brianrobinson26: Hey duders, I saw the Roku specific thread pop up, seems the fix is deleting the channel and adding it again through the link. It worked for me. Good luck!

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/roku-app-issues-5222020-1808125/

Avatar image for brianrobinson26
BrianRobinson26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1080  Edited By Squadaloo

My Roku TV also updated to 9.3.0 build 4182 today and all videos don't load now via the Giant Bomb app. The app loads with the version from the link above but videos always get a perpetual loading bar including ones that were fine earlier today. I've tried reinstalling but that hasn't fixed it.

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squadaloo: Running into the same issue here. Also getting the same issue with the Bomberin' Roku app.

Jzumaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having the same issue where videos are perpetually loading but with the Apple TV App, works fine when I play videos from Chrome.

cheeseholidays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same problem on Apple TV. Tried two different Apple TVs.

hybrid_aries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can’t play anything on the Apple TV app or Bomb Cyclone iOS app

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated the app on my Roku TV and was able to watch videos again.

ActionMan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: damn I've tried this three times, still nothing. Also, I can't view live streams on my pc (Chrome), it's just a white screen. All other videos are fine, it's just the live ones.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladeofcreation: damn I've tried this three times, still nothing. Also, I can't view live streams on my pc (Chrome), it's just a white screen. All other videos are fine, it's just the live ones.

Are you using any kind of incognito or privacy modes on chrome or a pihole or something? Does it work on Firefox? As far as we can tell when the Twitch embed isn't working it's because of a blocked tracker or something.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cheeseholidays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1090  Edited By cheeseholidays

@rorie: all good here! was back to normal for me the next day

Jzumaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Same here, has been working great on the Apple TV all day.

BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: It's working great for me. Thank you and the support team!

hybrid_aries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All good, ty rorie

Squadaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For completion's sake, yep, it's working here too. Thanks!

NSMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Yikes, I know it's been a month since you replied to me, but just reporting back: the new Roku app does work. Thanks!

petesix0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Never reported a bug before, hope this is the right place)

Been having a problem with streams in Chrome Incognito windows, only getting a white block in the video frame. No issues in ios or Chrome regular windows, but I'm using Incognito windows a lot more now to reduce power consumption. Win 10, up to date, Nvidia up to date(As of two minutes ago). Vod doesn't seem to be affected. I'd guess this has been occurring for about two-three days now?

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1097  Edited By redwing42

Hadn't seen a thread for the XBOX One app. I've had a continuing issue (particularly with Alex's drum streams) where once I get to about the 2:25:00 mark on a video, it becomes extremely choppy and basically unwatchable. No problems before that on the video, and it is very consistent. Is this just a me thing, or is there a fix for this that is known?

Picto_Obscure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if it's already been mentioned.

Watching the live streams (Free / Premium) via Chromecast works absolutely fine if the GB video player is Twitch...

Watching the live streams via Chromecast if the GB video player is not Twitch, does not work for me – constant hitching / stuttering after 5 minutes of being relatively fine.

That's been my experience for the past few months with no change in performance.

I can watch an archived stream via Chromecast if I set the Quality to High rather than HD.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petesix0 said:

(Never reported a bug before, hope this is the right place)

Been having a problem with streams in Chrome Incognito windows, only getting a white block in the video frame. No issues in ios or Chrome regular windows, but I'm using Incognito windows a lot more now to reduce power consumption. Win 10, up to date, Nvidia up to date(As of two minutes ago). Vod doesn't seem to be affected. I'd guess this has been occurring for about two-three days now?

I believe this is due to the way Twitch embeds work now. Apparently allowing third-party cookies will allow Twitch embeds to work appropriately; have you tried that?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hadn't seen a thread for the XBOX One app. I've had a continuing issue (particularly with Alex's drum streams) where once I get to about the 2:25:00 mark on a video, it becomes extremely choppy and basically unwatchable. No problems before that on the video, and it is very consistent. Is this just a me thing, or is there a fix for this that is known?

Is that for the VODs or the livestreams? I don't think we made any Xbox One apps in-house, so you might want to try contacting the developer.