Videos and streams have been crashing the Chrome tab

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

In the last couple of days videos and streams have been crashing the tab I was using in chrome forcing me to refresh. Not the end of the world but it kept happening and at least 4 people in chat during said it was happening to them also so I thought I should report it just in case.

No Caption Provided

This happened first during the Thursday Steam request stream quite a bit into the stream, then the day after during UPF. Third time happened just now and this time I was watching Episode 06 of Steal My Sunshine, finished it, used the carousel to select Episode 7 in the same tab and while watching that one in fullscreen it just crashed the tab in the same way.

I use Google Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 (1903). I use a bunch of extensions like ublock origin, https everywhere & decentraleyes (only those should affect the site afaik) . I haven't tried without addons but I might later, it might take a while to reproduce however.

Avatar image for dangerousdoctor
DangerousDoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The video player appears to leak memory like crazy in Firefox.

function404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chrome crash during podcast live, also had a few delayed video moments earlier on as well.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Forcen

It happened to me also, maybe around 10 min ago. I opened the console in chrome and saw that i refreshed the tab at exactly 8:04:00 pm UTC.

EDIT: Two more times, one 9:03 pm UTC and one 9:24 pm UTC

Cykke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happening the same to me, during just regular videos I'm watching and on livestreams, too. Was watching Gerstmann Pro Skater, GBE Playdates, UPF last week and todays and it'll just randomly crash every so often.

Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)

rautapalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rautapalli

Has happened 3 times for me so far while watching the wednesday mario maker stream. Might be memory related, it keeps climbing constantly and is currently at over 4 GB for the stream tab alone.

Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Update: seems to crash quite consistently a couple of minutes after it hits 4 GB memory usage.

Slowdraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Slowdraw

I use Opera (I know) and it's occurred twice while watching the Unprofessional Fridays on Wednesday stream which is currently live at the time of me posting this. Opera crashes and tells me that the browser ran out of memory. If it happens again I'll post a screen shot.

Opera Version: 60.0.3255.170

Windows 10 64-bit

processr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By processr

Has also happened a few times to me. Chrome on Chrome OS 76.0.3809.38.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PeezMachine

Twice and counting during today's UPF on a Wednesday, lots of folks in chat saying the same.

Chrome 75.0.3770.100 on Windows 8 x64

GustyGardens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brave Browser. I've had crashes on every live stream for a few weeks now. I get the same "Aw, Snap!" page that a lot of others are getting.

Brave Version 0.66.99 Chromium: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Is this somewhat related to the stream loosing audio and then stopping for anyone?, For this I had to refresh or even restart firefox. no warnings flashing on Task Manager.

Xealot42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Xealot42

I keep getting "Not enough memory to open this page" errors on Giant Bomb videos in Chrome. While watching Giant Bomb vidoes Chrome's RAM usage continually increases to around 6 GB then all Giant Bomb tabs crash (I have 32 GB of RAM total). No other websites are giving me this error.

Axl159

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It keeps happening to me around 1:08-1:10 into a video.

Chrome: 75.0.3770.100, Windows v10

superaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By superaven

I've experienced this a number of times as well on videos with playtime over 1 hour.

Win10 Ent 64-bit 1803

Chrome: 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Update: It appears to happen when memory footprint hits the Chrome tab memory limit, in my case 4GB. This reinforces what others have said about a memory leak, most likely from the video player.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Forcen

This happened 3 times today, twice during the bombcast/aftershow.

A possible workaround for videos might be to use progressive mode.

FelixAndrews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just had it happen to me now during the Wednesday Playdate. It also happened to me during last weeks Unprofessional Wednesdays.

daltimond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daltimond

This has been happening to me as well. I thought it was an extension I had but it still happened when I disabled the extension. Ive tried with all extensions off and it didnt happen but I dont know if my extensions are what made it happen. Ill try it out with UPF today to see if in incognito mode does it.

Edit: Chrome Version 75.0.3770.100 (Official Build) (64-bit). Crashed in incognito mode with no extensions enabled during upf today.

wcarle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that we are looking into this. Unfortunately memory issues can be hard to debug especially when we're dealing with third party video players and libraries like we are with the video player. I'll keep you posted

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat

I'll add to this by saying I'm getting it too, but other websites have started crashing as well. All while video is playing in that tab.

IK2K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would just like to mention that I still have the problem when I have chrome on 2nd screen and watch longer videos.

RAM usage for the stream tab goes to 3-4GB and chrome stops responding. I had this happen pretty consistently over this weekend.