Videos will not play while logged in to my account

andyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

None of the videos on Giant Bomb will play unless I choose to download them. Once I do so, the video plays in my browser (Firefox 34, Win 7, 64-bit). Strangely enough, logging out of my account lets me play any video on the site. Once the ad roll lets me skip, the video plays in the video player. This happens when using Chrome or IE as well.

andyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like the video player defaults to HTML5 for me. Before hitting play, if I switch to progressive or streaming, the videos play fine. If I would have read further in the forum, I would have seen that HTML5 is having issues right now for people.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Looks like, for the moment, you'll have to go with the "right click and choose play from the menu" workaround if you want to play HTML5 videos on the site rather than downloading them.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@andyboy: @wacomole: Are you guys both having the same issue? Trying replicate, might be relegated to a windows / FF issue? Can you guys try on a different browser? Curious if this is related to something else or not.

andyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jslack: Looks like it works fine with Chrome and IE when logged in or out with HTML5. Weird that it didn't before I posted. Could be user error on my part.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andyboy: Nah, we've isolated it. Issue with Windows & Firefox. Looks like something changed in the player recently, and it had an adverse affect. Sorry about that. Can you use Chrome for the time being? (or, throw away your windows machine, j/k, not j/k).

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you're on Firefox and have HTML5 selected then you're going to be sad. Firefox is protesting the mp4 standard and refuses to support it and that's what we serve. We shouldn't be allowing you to have the HTML5 option selected. That's our fault and we'll fix that. We can't publish the format that Firefox wants because its greatly inferior to mp4 and takes up too much space.

Please yell at Firefox telling them to get off their "standards" soapbox...

andyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: Maybe it's time I switch to a new browser on my Windows machine.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@edgework: @jslack: Hmmm. OK. The only browser I have on my PC is Firefox.

On videos where it's available, if I want to get me some 60fps goodness does it have to be the HTML5 option or are the Progressive and Streaming ones now coming in 60fps flavours?

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wacomole: If/when 60Fps is available, will be available in all streaming options.