Watching Premium Livestreams on PS4.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm not a web developer/programmer, so this is going to me making possible dumb statements and asking dumb questions.

It currently isn't possible to watch premium livestreams on ps4, and I have to ask why? The ps4 browser is far from perfect, but it does have html5 video support. Isnt there an HTML5 version of the live video player for mobile devices? Couldn't the site recognize the ps4 by its user agent and direct it to the mobile player? Apparently the WiiU allows you to change the browser user agent and live videos play when it's set to "iPad" (going by an old Reddit thread I saw). Ps4 doesn't have this feature, so it would require some work to implement.

Again, I'm a big dumb idiot and don't really know what I'm talking about when it comes to stuff like this. Just curious to see what others make of it.

Biddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'd love to know as well.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WynnDuffy

I'm gonna go ahead and theorise that this is because of web standards being updated over time and Sony being too slow to update their browser, I think a lot of us can agree that Sony have been poor at updating the PS4 software.

I wonder if a Chrome build from 2013 would play nice with today's HTML5 content, as far as I know Sony haven't given the PS4 browser a single update since it came out.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

According to the Staff the live player still uses flash to keep non-premium members out, which is not currently supported in HTML5. And since the PS4 browser doesn't support flash, no premium live shows. At least this is what i read from a thread on here about a year ago.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@rongalaxy: Not a premium member so i don't really know for sure, and even if i was i don't really have a real answer. But i assume the premium live streams wouldn't work there as well, just the regular HTML5 based ones would.