#1 Posted by TomyDingo (282 posts) -

The HD video exists because I can download it by manually editing the other download links. Just thought it was strange that it's missing from the recent videos.

#2 Posted by CannonGoose (415 posts) -

I was wondering about this as well. Thanks for the tip on editing the URL to get the full quality video.

#3 Edited by Jaina_Solo_ (48 posts) -

Yes, seems to be the case for all videos uploaded after Quick Look: Super Mega Baseball 2.This includes SpyPartyParty, the free Bombcast video, BNB Tiny Toons Adventure, VRodeo 12, BL: Death Race, Million Dollar Abby II and this week's UPF.

I'm usually using the HD Video RSS, which is currently empty: https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?api_key= (API Key removed)

The SD feed seems to be up to date (as are the on-site SD download links mentioned above).

Thanks for looking into it. The workaround (modifying the URL to 4000) doesn't help with established automated workflows :)

edit: Seems to be an even more impactful issue. All the apps I've tried and the site player are only showing up to "High" quality, so the API does not provide the HD quality option for this week's videos but the videos have been uploaded?

#4 Posted by V_Ben (120 posts) -

I’m having the exact same issue in Downcast -no HD downloads at all.

#5 Posted by tandar1 (200 posts) -

Yeah my auto-downloader to my NAS hasn't picked up a single video since Mega Baseball!

#6 Posted by Rodn3y (18 posts) -

For some reason the "hd_url" property of newer videos is null. Seems like there might be some issue with progressive in general since the player does not offer HD quality without HTML5 either.

#7 Posted by Quipido (1530 posts) -

Yep, Chrome doesn't offer the usual HD version and my GB Video Buddy app on iOs says I need to log in, even though I am logged in for years now. Something went sideways, somebody tweet at Dave Snider!

#8 Posted by Parsnip (1370 posts) -

I noticed this too. First I thought that maybe it was because I was no longer a yearly sub, but most of you guys are yearly so it's obviously not that.

#9 Posted by mobius006 (66 posts) -

Same issue. Glad to see it's not just me.

#10 Posted by katelyngadd (75 posts) -

Yeah, I can't see HD download links either. Weird that apparently the files are there?

#11 Posted by HansGr00ber (38 posts) -

Just adding a me too, same issue for me.

#12 Edited by wadtomaton (606 posts) -

Just wanted to throw a me too, can download manually with manual url change.

Using Chrome Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Win 10 if it matters.

#13 Posted by dragmagpuff (2 posts) -

Having the same issue on Android Video Bomb app.

#14 Posted by Darkflight (45 posts) -

Same, assumed it was the issue where occasionally videos get put in the All Videos RSS feed, but get skipped out of the individual ones (which I pull into iTunes), but checking that, it is also missing the file link in the enclosure url and guid fields. iTunes pulled the latest Best of GB as that had correct fields, but nothing else since the Super Mega Baseball 2 QL as mentioned above.

Heads up to @rorie@vinny@janman@unastrike@ybbaaabby

#15 Posted by Deloseth (22 posts) -

Probably a bit redundant now but just throwing a 'me too' in as well.

#16 Posted by poweld (27 posts) -

+1 Same issue here.

#17 Posted by Paliv (242 posts) -

I also noticed this with recent videos.

#18 Posted by tandar1 (200 posts) -
#19 Posted by Rorie (5379 posts) -

Hey the fix for this should be done today or tomorrow but an engineer will need to fix the videos manually. I don't have an ETA for that at the moment but I'll update when I do.

Staff
#20 Posted by tandar1 (200 posts) -

@rorie said:

Hey the fix for this should be done today or tomorrow but an engineer will need to fix the videos manually. I don't have an ETA for that at the moment but I'll update when I do.

Thank you sir!

#21 Posted by Rodn3y (18 posts) -

I noticed that while the HD download links are back for new videos, the "progressive" streaming option now only goes up to the 4000k variant instead of the 8000k variant that's available via download or HLS, could that be looked into? Progressive streaming works a lot better for me and it would be a shame if that meant missing out on the best quality option.

#22 Posted by Rorie (5379 posts) -

@rodn3y said:

I noticed that while the HD download links are back for new videos, the "progressive" streaming option now only goes up to the 4000k variant instead of the 8000k variant that's available via download or HLS, could that be looked into? Progressive streaming works a lot better for me and it would be a shame if that meant missing out on the best quality option.

I'm told this should be implemented hopefully by next Tuesday or so!

Staff
#23 Posted by Rodn3y (18 posts) -

@rorie: Cool, thanks! Is that also going to change for the API? Currently "hd_url" is just the 4000k version as well.

#24 Posted by thebrainninja (372 posts) -

Every other video seems to have its HD download link fixed except for this UPF. If it just didn't get encoded that way, no big, life moves on. Just FYI in case an engineer is still looking at this!

#25 Posted by Rorie (5379 posts) -

@rodn3y: Hmm, I'm not sure but I will try to find out. I know the video robot is constantly being looked into.

Staff
#26 Posted by Rodn3y (18 posts) -

@rorie hey have you heard anything new about this? Unfortunately there's still no way to get the new 8000 kbit HD version from the API.

#27 Posted by Rorie (5379 posts) -

@rodn3y said:

@rorie hey have you heard anything new about this? Unfortunately there's still no way to get the new 8000 kbit HD version from the API.

I am told we are probably going to hold off for now as there are probably some larger changes to how we serve up video coming in the near-ish future.

Staff
#28 Posted by Rodn3y (18 posts) -

Ok thanks for the update. I created a small workaround in my scripts by doing a HEAD request with "8000" instead of "4000" in the url to determine if that rendition is available. It's not ideal as it counts against the download limit but works for the time being.