Why Can't I Download Video? (or) Where's My Videos?

Interpol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@edgework: I only tried to download one video today...so nope.

Grimdaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I regularly download videos with jdownloader, which has worked for years. Since today I get the 10MB error video file instead of the video requestet. I'm a premium member and I didn't change things on my end as far as I can tell. The download is a vital feature for me, so I hope this is an issue that can be fixed.

+1 on this, same situation here.

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'm trying to watch GB Premium videos through Chromecast and my Samsung Galaxy S7 (using Chrome as browser). Previously I had to select HD instead of Auto to get it to work but now the quality options are gone. I read they are gone on console browsers, but don't know what to make of this. Trying to download plays an error video.

hughesie27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually download videos through the GetThemAll app on my android tablet. Worked fine up until yesterday when I tried to download part two of the Oculus visa. Juat offers me the 10mb error video.

Tried to download directly from the site choosing the mobile quality. It loads up VLC player and juat plays the error video.

Help!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c221c2ee2b7c
deactivated-5c221c2ee2b7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to watch videos in MPC-HC. As of today, this only works by appending the API Key, which, if I have to do this every time now I want to watch a Premium video, is an annoying hassle that shouldn't be there.

Avatar image for criticallychallenged
CriticallyChallenged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use free download manager for downloading videos getting the jeff-error-thing whenever i try to download premium stuff, pls fix, I can't stream in hd due to connection constrains that's why i download it.

simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Seems like Dogcatcher on Android suddenly stopped working. I've tried deleting all of the videos and re-downloading them plus removing & re-adding the feed with no luck. Was working fine up until a couple of days ago (Monday?)

LeChucksBeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use Juice Podcast Receiver for Windows to download the videos (streaming is a pain on my slow connection). It has worked fine for months, but since yesterday every video I get is Jeff's error message.

I've tried manually adding login:password to the rss url, and also appending the ?api_key parameter, but none of those solutions worked.

Manually downloading the video via the browser works fine, but it's a lot more inconvenient.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

I use Jdownloader as a download manager so I can pause and resume videos, now all I am getting is 10mb videos basically calling me a thief. I can't copy and paste the API key so it makes me type it all out manually nor do I want to do that every time I want to download a video.

I've been subscribed for 4 years now and I don't appreciate the insinuation just because I'm not right clicking and saving using web browser.

Time to let my subscription lapse, the content on this site has gone downhill massively now they are using draconian methods to protect links that will affect me more than pirates.

feignamnesia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been using the CastBuddy extension for Chrome that sniffs .mp4s and relays them to the Chromecast to play on my television with my partner. Now doing that just results in an error. Giant Bomb Video Buddy seems to still work on iOS, but otherwise, having to download these files and wait before streaming or manually append the URL is a massive inconvenience for a major feature.

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By theimmortalbum

Same issue for me. Can't download videos to Downcast on iOS. My premium is current.

Edit: Using the feed I set up with my API key, I'm getting 404s on all the videos.

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By smek

A lot of download managers work by monitoring the clipboard or a browser plugin that grabs the link. As best I can tell this won't work with the way links are given atm. If you are on the website and click download the links there DO NOT have the api coded added to them. When the download manager tries to download it gets the error message. Adding the api key _should_ work in most cases but having to do this manual each day is going to be a real pain. Maybe an option can be added under user profiles to always append api key to download links on the website? otherwise using rss is the only way to get api keys automatically added.

As for user agent of jdownloader from what i can tell it uses "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0"

I would really like to keep using jdownloader, but cannot see why its not working the api key is there but always getting the error video

I did notice that the rss is giving me http://v.giantbomb.com/<date>/video.mp4?api_key=1234http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/high/?api_key=1234

Is that correct? removing the last rss link part doesnt fix my errors just url looked odd to me

*1234 is not my apikey :p

elliotcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using iTunes and the api_key parameter detailed in the original post sorted me out. Thanks!

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By rick
Avatar image for deactivated-6531332cacc05
deactivated-6531332cacc05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can no longer use my preferred download manager to get videos, even with the API parameter. Look at all the premium subscribers who video streaming/downloading is now broken for. What we're they thinking? Who does this help? If this doesn't get sorted I'm letting my membership lapse.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideshow_nick: It's to stop people sharing links, they are under the false assumption that people will pay for subscription if they can't get the links elsewhere.

In the mean time it screws over all the people who have been subscribing for years.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smek: @sideshow_nick:We'll automatically append your API key to links so most download managers should work again, unless they are making anonymous requests in which case, sorry we can't support them. This should be live on Monday.

We're looking into jdownloader today but I'm guessing it makes anonymous requests.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By rick

OK can someone give me a download link for jdownloader? Every single one I find online is sketchy or broken.

I don't get how Rorie can love Windows so much.

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By smek

http://www.jdownloader.org/download/index

I've been trying to work out how I could tell if its making anonymous requests and can't find anything atm

http://jdownloader.org/knowledge/wiki/development/get-started

This might help its all java stuff built from an svn maybe with debug might get a better idea

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@smek: @sideshow_nick:We'll automatically append your API key to links so most download managers should work again, unless they are making anonymous requests in which case, sorry we can't support them. This should be live on Monday.

We're looking into jdownloader today but I'm guessing it makes anonymous requests.

I can't support Giantbomb any longer then, 4 years of subs gone.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By rick

@smek: Yeah that page has nothing but broken or sketchy download urls.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By rick

@smek: Sorry we can't get good download URLs except for MacOS and then got this:

No Caption Provided

So when it comes to jdownloader ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly though, there's GOT to be better options out there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Telling us you think there are better options out there doesn't help the fact that we can't download videos the way we always have. In fact, its borderline insulting. Not a great way to retain premium subs.

Vinnie_Ton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: To be honest my network seems fine. Security certificate thumbprints check out, including Giant Bomb's. I don't have any other issues that might indicate something nefarious, and I'm not a developer. I don't even know what a packet sniffer is. I've been using Video Buddy for years without problem. This issue has only emerged in the last week, right when you've given your video delivery system a major overhaul, so if the problem is genuinely on my end that's a remarkable coincidence. Others are complaining of the same issue over on the Video Buddy forum. Any help you can give would be gratefully received, as I've been a premium member from the start and I find Video Buddy is the best way of consuming your content. Many thanks.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By TheLegendOfMart

@edgework said:

@smek: Sorry we can't get good download URLs except for MacOS and then got this:

No Caption Provided

I've been using JDownloader with Giantbomb for years. It works great with LITERALLY EVERY SITE out on the internet, the changes you've made have made it impossible for me to download. So instead of fixing it you are telling me to change my downloader.

How about no.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By rick

@sideshow_nick: Just saying I can't get it to run or find a download link I can trust so I can't tell you what's going on with it. Sorry. We're making some changes that may help. That will go live on Monday. If jDownloader is making anonymous requests then there's nothing I can do. No reputable app should make anonymous requests. Lots of services block them.

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework said:

@sideshow_nick: Just saying I can't get it to run or find a download link I can trust so I can't tell you what's going on with it. Sorry. We're making some changes that may help. That will go live on Monday. If jDownloader is making anonymous requests then there's nothing I can do. No reputable app should make anonymous requests. Lots of services block them.

Not had any problems with Jdownloader other than Giantbomb.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinnie_ton: If you can't get a list of videos on VB that is not related to any changes we've made. If you can get a list but cannot watch a video then its our fault. You say this only happens on your wireless network. That's a really solid indicator its your network.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By rick

@thelegendofmart:Ok so if you have a working copy, maybe you could help. Could you download

http://www.giantbomb.com/favicon.ico?test

about 100 times? I just need to know what the request looks like from our side. I asked for 100 times because I can only sample requests in realtime so I don't see every single one.

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By smek

I gave you a link you can compile your own version direct from the SVN if thats less sketchy for you.

I'm sure there are other programs but i've been using jdownloader for years, spend the day right clicking links and copying them then before I goto bed start them off.

I think whatever is being used redirect download links to the error video might be confusing it.

I've been testing things and looking through logs jdownoaded can use http auth fine. I made a folder on my sever with auth and in the logs "Authorization: Basic 123" was present.

For the giantbomb links it just says I have the file downloading it, there is nothing telling it it needs to use a password. I have no idea how to make it use a password, adding my details to jdownloader basic auth did nothing. Adding links as http://user:password@v.giant.. did nothing.

looking at logs I do not think jdownloader is putting the ?api part in despite it being in the download url

[quote]

----------------Request Information-------------

URL: http://v.giantbomb.com/2016/03/24/mc_mgsv_ep024_<snip>3200.mp4

[/quote]

I'll see if someone from jdownloader can help.

The url with correct api_key is valid for aslong as your api key is correct? there is no time limited part of download links?

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By san_salvador

@edgework said:

No Caption Provided

Just be honest and say "I don't give a shit.".

TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know how many times that was, it's not easy to redownload same thing over and over.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By rick

@thelegendofmart:OK so the requests aren't anonymous. But they are impersonating a browser which is sketchy but not something our firewall cares about. Just to be sure I'm looking at the right requests. You're in UK. Correct?

from @smek"looking at logs I do not think jdownloader is putting the ?api part in despite it being in the download url"

That may be the problem but the ?test was in your URLs. I'd be happy to keep working to figure this out but I cannot get a working copy of jdownloader. The source requires a java developer kit I don't have or have the time to mess with. @smek seems to be making headway and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By rick

I'm in chat now if anyone wants to talk to me directly.

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By san_salvador
@edgework said:

@thelegendofmart:OK so the requests aren't anonymous. But they are impersonating a browser which is sketchy but not something our firewall cares about. Just to be sure I'm looking at the right requests. You're in UK. Correct?

from @smek"looking at logs I do not think jdownloader is putting the ?api part in despite it being in the download url"

That may be the problem but the ?test was in your URLs. I'd be happy to keep working to figure this out but I cannot get a working copy of jdownloader. The source requires a java developer kit I don't have or have the time to mess with. @smek seems to be making headway and I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

At least on windows jdownloader doesn't need Java installed, that has been changed a long time ago.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By rick

@san_salvador: For windows I can't get a working download link or one that isn't sketchy. Do you know of any that work?

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By san_salvador

@edgework said:

@san_salvador: For windows I can't get a working download link or one that isn't sketchy. Do you know of any that work?

This is the official site: http://jdownloader.org/download/index.

It will redirect you to MEGA to download the installer, compressed in a .rar. This is quite a lot more convoluted than it should be. The last time I installed it is many years ago because I carried my jdownloader folder with me across multiple OS installations without actually reinstalling it (which is not necessary).

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edgework: I'm not sure why I pay premium then if I can't use a download manager anymore. Its not so simple to cut and past that API key into my mobile app to flag downloads for later. I tag all the videos I want to watch while I'm at work so they are ready when I get home. Streaming from this site is not reliable as the livestreams has proven so download is my only option and that is why I pay for premium.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: We're going to append the API key for you. That will be live on Monday.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By rick

@san_salvador: That link wasn't working earlier. its working now.

drchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also use Juice downloader (juicereceiver.sourceforge.net) and despite putting in the api key it's not working. It's not anonymous, you configure the app with a URL and for auth a user/pass which worked until this week.

I think it's doing what people said jdownloader is doing. It's grabbing the links in the RSS but ignoring (and dropping) the ?api=xxx parameter on the individual mp4 file locations.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By rick

@san_salvador: So this has been going on for the past 10 minutes

No Caption Provided

Seems this program has some issues...

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I can tell going through the logs Jdownloader is removing the ?api_key part from the download. I did some testing with @edgework and for .ico files the log was showing as ?api ?test ?api_key ?api_key=123 but when jdownloader detects video files i can only assume its removing anything past the .mp4. Im in the jdownloader support channel trying to see if there is a fix their end and having gone through several test it still removes the api_key i'm going to email the support and figure out if there is a way to stop this from happening.

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By san_salvador
@edgework said:

@san_salvador: So this has been going on for the past 10 minutes

No Caption Provided

Seems this program has some issues...

Look, I am not saying jdownloader is a great piece of software. But it is the tool of choice for many of us to download stuff from a huge list of sources. The ease of use with a giantbomb premium membership is a very big argument to continue subscribing. If you can tell me about a better programm of the same capabilities, I am all ears. But AFAIK this is the best we have.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By rick

OK second try and it installed. But now it seems I'm not smart enough to use it. I plugged in

http://edgework:xxxx@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?api_key=xxxx

and it did nothing... Can someone give me steps on what to do to see the failure?

san_salvador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By san_salvador
@edgework said:

OK second try and it installed. But now it seems I'm not smart enough to use it. I plugged in

http://edgework:xxxx@www.giantbomb.com/videos/feed/hd/?api_key=xxxx

and it did nothing... Can someone give me steps on what to do to see the failure?

Sure.

The way I did it the last years is simple. Just go to some QL (http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-shardlight/2300-11084/), click download, right click on the desired quality and copy the link. jdownloader should by default read every link you copy and offer a download. Since yesterday it doesn't come up with the desired video, but the error video.

To be clear: jdownloader NEVER needed any form of authentication.

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've verified what @smek found. They're stripping out the the api_key=xx parameter for some reason. So there's nothing I can do. Sorry!

Can anyone recommend a downloader that doesn't mangle the URLs so I can put that in the Original Post?

rick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By rick

** Please read the entire original post in this thread before reporting an issue. It has the answers to the most common issues and gets updated often. Thanks... **

smek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By smek

ok i have HALF fixed this issue thought some messing about all of which i'm not 100% on :D

I added a custom rule to linkcrawler goto setting > advanced settings (small text bottom) search for rules.

LinkCrawler: Link Crawler Rules.

i added the following

[ {

"enabled" : true,

"maxDecryptDepth" : 1,

"id" : 1459539192789,

"name" : "Fix Giantbomb",

"pattern" : "http://v\\.giantbomb\\.com/.+\\.mp4\\?api_key=.+",

"rule" : "DIRECTHTTP"

} ]

Now the parts im not 100% on is the regex part (i used a regex editor and it didnt like it. someone in channel helped me and got me that regex partern and that works. The ID part is another part im not even 5% sure on. i had another rule in there that used that Id so i used it :D

Now the caveat, the half fixed part. this will grab the video error AND the correct video :D

I'm going to play some heroes and look into this more later or maybe someone more technical has an idea whats going on :D

Edit: I have fixed it in a way, added a linkgrabber filter for v.giantbomb.com that hides any links under 12MB that are .mp4 (it puts these as restore filterd linked at bottom if you want to get a video file smaller than 12mb)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smek: Thanks for working on this. At least somebody cares enough to figure out a solution.