xbmc addon

danlongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

The xbmc addon has stopped working for me today, anyone else having issues?

radoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Works fine here

one3eight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also having some issues using the plugin on Gotham

17:23:04 T:139937340974848 NOTICE: -->Python Interpreter Initialized<--

17:23:05 T:139937340974848 NOTICE: Mode: None

17:23:05 T:139937340974848 NOTICE: URL: None

17:23:05 T:139937340974848 NOTICE: Name: None

17:23:06 T:139937340974848 ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--

- NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!

Error Type: <class 'urllib2.HTTPError'>

Error Contents: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/one3eight-htpc/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.giantbomb/default.py", line 210, in <module>

CATEGORIES()

File "/home/one3eight-htpc/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.giantbomb/default.py", line 16, in CATEGORIES

response = urllib2.urlopen(API_PATH + '/chats/?api_key=' + user_api_key + '&format=json')

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 126, in urlopen

return _opener.open(url, data, timeout)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 406, in open

response = meth(req, response)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 519, in http_response

'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 438, in error

result = self._call_chain(*args)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 378, in _call_chain

result = func(*args)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 625, in http_error_302

return self.parent.open(new, timeout=req.timeout)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 406, in open

response = meth(req, response)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 519, in http_response

'http', request, response, code, msg, hdrs)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 444, in error

return self._call_chain(*args)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 378, in _call_chain

result = func(*args)

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/urllib2.py", line 527, in http_error_default

raise HTTPError(req.get_full_url(), code, msg, hdrs, fp)

HTTPError: HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

-->End of Python script error report<--

17:23:06 T:139938031323008 ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://plugin.video.giantbomb/

17:23:06 T:139938031323008 ERROR: CGUIMediaWindow::GetDirectory(plugin://plugin.video.giantbomb/) failed

17:23:06 T:139937340974848 NOTICE: Thread BackgroundLoader start, auto delete: false

17:23:06 T:139937340974848 NOTICE: Thread LanguageInvoker start, auto delete: false

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too am receiving an error when trying to load the XBMC plugin :( It was fine this time yesterday.

I can't wait until it's fixed, it's the only way I ever watch GB stuff, and I watch a lot in the evenings after getting back from the hospital. Great to cheer you up with dinner before bed :D

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been having issues playing the video and also attaching premium to it. The generated codes for some reason do not seem to work.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By rorie

I'm hearing reports of Roku codes not working either. Maybe @frobie or @mrpibb can help.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By laika

This broke with a recent chat upgrade. We're pushing out changes today that should fix this; stay tuned.

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika said:

This broke with a recent chat upgrade. We're pushing out changes today that should fix this; stay tuned.

Thank you so very much :) I'll fire up XBMC in a few minutes and keep my fingers crossed!

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika said:

Confirmed, operational!

ussbutte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like this still isn't working for HD-quality videos...

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ussbutte said:

Can you be a little more specific? I'm not very familiar with the XBMC app.

ussbutte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika said:

@ussbutte said:

Can you be a little more specific? I'm not very familiar with the XBMC app.

If you have the quality in the settings set to "Auto" (and you've logged in), it tries to grab the HD versions of the videos. I think it's "hd_url" from the JSON. As far as I can tell, the difference is that the HD version requires your API key and redirects to the video, whereas the other resolutions just have a direct link to the .mp4 file.

obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By obinice

I can confirm that HD works fine. Though I must admit, at first I didn't get that Auto meant HD either. Haha.

May I put forward a small gripe with the XBMC add-on that's been present since it got its last overhaul quite some time ago. I can no longer browse the entire Giant Bomb video catalogue. There's the Latest section, and the other subsections (which at one point didn't exist, which made this more of an issue), but eventually you reach the end of the list, and if you want to just keep going back, you....can't.

I recall in the old add-on you could keep going back as much as you like through the archives.

I'd suggest adding an "Archive" section, but to be honest all that needs doing is to have the "Latest" section change to go as far back as you like rather than hitting that wall. I don't know how difficult this is to do, perhaps the architecture of the site has changed to no longer allow this?

Sometimes I'll want to re-watch something that I know was on the site a week or two ago, and with the frequency of video updates nowadays especially, it can easily drop off that list. Sometimes I won't even know what it is until I see it, haha.

And I know there's a Search feature (which is great), but I only use text input in XBMC when I need to modify system settings. It would mean having to go plug a keyboard into the server, and it's just not worth it, you know? That's assuming I know what I'm looking for anyway, haha.

As I've said before, I'm super appreciative that you support XBMC. As sad as it sounds, my life would suck appreciably more if there weren't one, because I'd lose my ability to watch Giant Bomb conveniently at the push of a remote control! And when that's happened to me in the past, I've not found myself going out of my way to get GB videos up. I like my routine of watching them on the TV and not having to turn on a computer at all, haha. So I'm thankful for what I've got!

But yeah, if we could see the whole GB catalogue using XBMC? Well, that would be super rad, you guys.

Mk40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The auto setting doesn't work for me either :/

As a workaround, streaming from an iOS device to XBMC via Airplay and the GB Video Buddy app works fine at 720p60.

ussbutte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ussbutte

Here's the relevant part of the log (from XBMC 12, but it seems to happen on 13 as well): http://pastebin.com/vm631MFw

It looks like XBMC is having troubles getting the file to load. If I paste the link into a web browser, it works fine though (after redirecting to the actual video URL). If I had to make a totally-uneducated guess, maybe the MIME type of the initial link is bad, and that's confusing XBMC?

EDIT: Yeah, running `curl -I <video_url>` shows that the Content-Type is text/html, which might be an issue.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By laika

@ussbutte said:

Here's the relevant part of the log (from XBMC 12, but it seems to happen on 13 as well): http://pastebin.com/vm631MFw

It looks like XBMC is having troubles getting the file to load. If I paste the link into a web browser, it works fine though (after redirecting to the actual video URL). If I had to make a totally-uneducated guess, maybe the MIME type of the initial link is bad, and that's confusing XBMC?

EDIT: Yeah, running `curl -I <video_url>` shows that the Content-Type is text/html, which might be an issue.

Thanks for that error log -- if it's just an issue with the response headers, I'll try to sneak it in on Tuesday.

Any more extensive changes to the XBMC and other set-top apps are probably off the table for a while though (and certainly until after E3). Sorry duders.

laika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laika said:

@ussbutte said:

Thanks for that error log -- if it's just an issue with the response headers, I'll try to sneak it in on Tuesday.

Any more extensive changes to the XBMC and other set-top apps are probably off the table for a while though (and certainly until after E3). Sorry duders.

The redirect seems to be okay, or at least, unchanged for the last year and a half or so. Could theoretically have broken with a different XBMC version, but that doesn't really help us considering the header can be only one thing or the other. (I spent about 10 minutes looking for the quality setting and couldn't find it. Any hints?)

Given that some people can access HD videos, it could be an issue with your API key. Can you access subscriber content at any quality?

ussbutte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ussbutte

@laika: If you open the Giant Bomb add-on and hit "C", you should get a menu that includes "Add-on settings" at the bottom. Hit that, and it'll show a dialog with a quality selector. "Auto" means "try to get HD if the API returns an hd_url". You can verify that you're getting an HD video by hitting "I" (the letter eye) and checking if the path for the video starts with "http://www.giantbomb.com/api/protected_video/".

I can access subscriber content without issues if I set the quality to "High" (I tested with the May 23 Unprofessional Friday).

But that's not the important part. The important part is that I figured out what's happening. I finally decided to just open up Wireshark and watch the HTTP traffic. The request from XBMC for the HD video link (http://www.giantbomb.com/api/protected_video/2300-8925/?download=1&api_key=<MY_API_KEY>) gets a 403 Forbidden response. I narrowed it down to the User-Agent string that my version of XBMC supplies. After deleting bits of it until I found the smallest substring that still fails, I got "a6". It seems that A6 is a web spider for some ad platform or something. I'm guessing whatever the protected_video URLs go through is trying to ban that spider, but the ban is a little broader than it ought to be.

There are, I suppose, two solutions: either make the User-Agent ban a bit more specific, or have the Giant Bomb add-on specify a custom User-Agent. You can do this by appending the string "|User-Agent=Whatever" to URL for the video. XBMC will parse that out and use "Whatever" as the User-Agent when making the HTTP request.

EDIT: Oh, and the "a6" in my User-Agent comes from the Git commit ID for the version of XBMC I'm on.

jslack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By jslack

Hey there @danlongman@ussbutte@mk40@obinice@i_stay_puft@one3eight and anyone else I forgot,

This has been fixed. Might take a few hours to roll out (from now), but you should be unblocked after that.

@ussbutte I gotta say, great job debugging that! You are right on the money. We block A6, which was a pretty abusive bot, not respecting robots. We did a regex against a6 user agent, and the git commit indeed recognized you as "a6". I've updated it to use "A6-Indexer" now, which is more specific, and should avoid this issue returning.

Thanks for reporting this!

danlongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, Thanks!

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cool dude thanks.

ussbutte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woo! I tried it out, and everything's good now!