I loved Burnout 3 and Revenge for the emphasis on crashing. Is Paradise for me?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've never played Burnout Paradise and I'm not much of a racing game person. With that being said, two of the most fun racing games from my childhood were Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge because those games had a strong emphasis on cool crashing with the crash events and what not. Every so often though, I get the urge to get a racing game. Paradise remastered looks damn good and I'm sure it'll be great on my Pro with a 4K tv.

How is the actual game though? Does it still have amazing crashing physics? Are there modes that encourage that? If not, does it at least hold its own for what it wants to do? Convince me on this. I've "missed" Burnout since Revenge even though Paradise has always existed. I just don't know how different of a game it is.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

While Paradise doesn't have a crash mode (it does have something called showtime mode, which is similar but pretty half baked), there is definitely still an emphasis on crashing. It still has the road rage events from previous games where you have to get a certain amount of takedowns and even with the normal races, you'll probably never get through one without seeing a crash of some kind. If you like the takedown aspect of the games, there's plenty of that but if the crash mode is the biggest draw for you, you'll probably be disappointed.

The other biggest difference is the open world. Paradise is all about learning the map, finding shortcuts and getting familiar with the quickest way to get from point A to point B. In that way, it's a very different game from the other Burnouts.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LeStephan

I remember thinking the crashes were way toned down compared to the older games when paradise was new and being really bothered by it. Even the actual car deformation.

I can't immagine that actually being true though, it being on ps3 vs ps2.

Back when burnout paradise came out I actually still 'hated' every race game I had played except for Burnout 2/3/Revenge, and Paradise unexpectedly did not do it for me at all. So my memories are probably tainted by the dissapointment I felt while playing back then. The thing I hated the most though were how the cars controlled in Paradise. If you've played that 'new' hot pursuit game, you'll know how it feels and if it'll bother you. I remember both feeling 'bad' in the same way.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ripelivejam

nnnnnnnnnope

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends how you feel about ChaseHQ.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

With all the hype around the remaster, I fired up Paradise on my PC for the nth time to see if I could get into it. Unsurprisingly, it still doesn't grab me like 3/Revenge did. It's hard to put my finger on it, but I think it's the open world. Instead of wandering from stoplight to stoplight, worrying about billboards and jumps and barriers, I think I prefer just selecting a route/race type from a menu and jumping right into the event.

Crash mode was a huge loss too, IMO.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theres a high score to set on every single street in the game for damage caused in a crash, and you're able to cherry pick which events you do as you progress, so you could stick to mostly the road rage mode. Its a really tight and fun racer and the crash physics are SPECTACULAR and I havent seen anything to rival it yet in gaming.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Onemanarmyy

You still get to take down cars, but it didn't feel like a huge bulletpoint for Burnout paradise. The camera moves on quite fast from the action and it never felt like the cars flew around in an enjoyable fashion. Don't know if the remaster changed anything to this though.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do you like Midnight Club? 'Cause Paradise was pretty much Midnight Club.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's way more of an open-world racing game with crashes than a free-for-all demolition rampage that features racing.

Do you like Midnight Club? 'Cause Paradise was pretty much Midnight Club.

Pretty much this.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes. Yeah none of that sold me so I think I'll skip it.

Thanks anyway though