What has been the best Call of Duty campaign this gen?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Edited By liquiddragon

Poll What has been the best Call of Duty campaign this gen? (125 votes)

Ghosts 2%
Advanced Warfare 11%
Black Ops III 1%
Infinite Warefare 29%
WWII 4%
Modern Warfare (2019) 19%
I haven't played a CoD campaign since... 22%
Poll 12%

Hey, I played through the new Modern Warfare (2019) campaign, thought it did some nice things and found myself liking it more than I would've guessed. I didn't follow the pre-release marketing much but I know they were touting big changes. Still, I went in expecting most of that to be typical promotional speak and played it just curious about it as a reboot, since remakes are all the rage atm.

My takeaway is that, while it very much feels like a CoD campaign 70%(?) of the times, they played with the tone and pacing of it. They were good about bringing its energy up and down and up again throughout the story mode, instead of starting at a 100 and trying to keep it up there the entire time. They also went in a direction that a lot of US media shy away from, which I'm interested to see how it'll be/it's being received and if there is any massive backlash of it (I have not looked into up yet.) I'm talking about depiction of children being killed, dead bodies of children, and children killing.

On a side note, it seems to have some good tech behind it, though there are some kinks that need to be ironed out. It's often a nice looking game but I saw some silly physics right out the gate in what was supposed to be a suspenseful quiet moment.

Anyways, the problem I'm having with judging this game is that I haven't played a CoD campaign since Black Ops 1. So while I do think the campaign is meaningfully different from what I think a CoD campaign is, Idk how much this single player mode has shifted from the more recent ones.

• 
OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Infinite Warfare was fantastic. Ghosts and Advanced Warfare was OK, not played the rest.

IW had some strong Battlestar Galactica vibes for me and that felt great. The ending though... Felt like I got punched in the gut.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about half way through the new one and it's ok so far, i'm more taken with the fact it's a first person shooter campaign which we just don't get any more.
With that in mind i was always going to be happy with the result regardless, but putting my critical hat on (in no order) it feels like pulling out the FOV causes the corners of the screen to warp more than other games, the audio mix is abysmal with sound effects being extremely loud and dialogue varying in volume on a per mission basis, i'm also finding audio quality to be really tinny and ear piercing, pre rendered cutscenes lag every time and cause the audio to go out of sync, i'm having issues with textures not loading and lots of instances of limbs and heads going missing, i've come across quite a few "beginner traps", scripted events which kill the player instantly if they aren't aware they're going to happen, which emphasises a strangely long black loading screen, and the London house mission everyone's raving about felt awkward to me because ADS zooms in which is terrible in such close quarters, hip fire is a lot less accurate than previous games, so i was tactically missing 60% of my shots in that mission.
Small things, but enough that i couldn't vote for it, so i went with WW2 which i quite enjoyed.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy WW2 most, simply because I enjoy WW2. But I don't actually think it was a good ww2 campaign and certainly not the one i was looking for.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really liked COD2 a lot, but Modern Warfare 1/2 was where that game became THAT game. I played the first CODBLOPS, hated it, and gave up on the series.

I might check out this new one, at some point, though.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I havent played the new one yet but i've played all of the others, and from this generation of COD games Infinite Warfare was the only one that really mixed things up and at least tried to alter the formula in some interesting ways.

And of course it sold the worst and the die-hard fans hated it. (without even playing the campaign judging by how every achievement related to it was rare)

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: I do intend on checking out Infinite Warfare some day, but at the time i was pissed at the file size and how they were holding Modern Warfare Remastered hostage.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@cikame said:

because ADS zooms in which is terrible in such close quarters

There's an option to turn that off in the menu.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't played the latest one or WW2 either of which I suspect would be my answer. I didn't bother finishing Ghosts or BO3 so for me it's between Advanced Warfare and Infinite.

I think I'm in the minority not enjoying Infinite but I can't say Advanced Warfare was memorable beyond Kevin Spacey's role...

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last COD campaign I played in its entirety was Advanced Warfare. I tried to play through the subsequent campaigns, but fell off pretty quickly. I finished MW 2019 in about 3 days.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Infinite Warfare was really great. I loved the way the entire campaign takes place over the course of a day or so. The way you stand on the bridge as you jump through space was spectacular. Even the space dogfighting was alright and it worked really seamlessly when transitioning to and from ground combat.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard: I don't have a problem with it usually, just those small interior levels.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias said:

I haven't played the latest one or WW2 either of which I suspect would be my answer. I didn't bother finishing Ghosts or BO3 so for me it's between Advanced Warfare and Infinite.

I think I'm in the minority not enjoying Infinite but I can't say Advanced Warfare was memorable beyond Kevin Spacey's role...

I started playing Infinite, based largely on Jeff's excitement for the campaign, when it released. It wasn't bad, however it really did not have anything to hook me and I fell off about half-way through. Admittedly, I think I had my fill of the futuristic CODs by that point.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@wardcleaver:

I started playing Infinite, based largely on Jeff's excitement for the campaign, when it released.

I was excited to play having heard good things about it but it just didn't hook me for some reason and I can't recall anything which happens in.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alias said:

@wardcleaver:

I started playing Infinite, based largely on Jeff's excitement for the campaign, when it released.

I was excited to play having heard good things about it but it just didn't hook me for some reason and I can't recall anything which happens in.

I remember flying the spaceships that felt really floaty. I think I stopped shortly after that. Before that, I think I shot some robots.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CoD4. It got remastered this gen so it technically counts.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#17  Edited By liquiddragon

Listening to this week's Bombcast and Jeff mentions Infinite Warfare as "maybe the best campaign they've done this generation."

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

Infinite Warfare. It had the most likable characters, a decent length to the campaign (if you choose to do side stuff), and was a fun sci-fi shooter. I felt it had too many ship missions and wish they would have swapped those out for more interesting stealth or shooter sections, but still, overall it was just the best one. WWII was the worst. Fantastic visuals, but it's the only COD campaign that I couldn't finish because it was too boring. Black Ops 3 was good I thought and on the Xbox One it was kind of buggy, but forgettable compared to the others. Ghosts I liked and wished they'd have made a sequel. AW I thought was bland, but when I went back through it again on veteran a few years after release, it grew on me, so it's good. I just finished Modern Warfare today, and I think it's a great shooter, but the story, most locations save for a few, and characters (even the ones they brought back) was kind of dull. It was super cliche.

infantpipoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 24

Full disclosure, I voted Infinite Warfare since it is the first Call of Duty I played since Modern Warfare 3 and I have not played a new cod since.

Avatar image for unbelievablepad
UnbelievablePad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't finished MW 2019 yet so I can't comment but it's looking alright. WWII came very close for me, but I chose Ghosts. I enjoyed that game and personally think, yes it has its flaws, but it was unfairly and harshly criticised. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be and it has some real highs. And on the topic, I think the campaign is highly underrated. I think the hate for that game was very bandwaggony. Maybe we will see a Ghosts 2 one day but I don't think it would be an instant money maker (unlike a Modern Warfare come back).

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished MW 2019. Overall kind of a samey blob of desert with well choreographed set pieces, but i think Going Dark is the best mission I've played in a COD game since All Ghillied Up, just a ton of fun. would be interested in a more open format COD game featuring more levels like that.