Call of Duty: WWII Private Beta

sfbaybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Who's playing!?

(I can't wait to get home and give it a go!!!)

Avatar image for joe_mccallister
Joe_McCallister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I played one round last night and really enjoyed what I saw just from a menu and depth perspective. Played one round of war and it was really varied. I'm one of those take/leave COD fans where I played Advanced Warfare and loved it, and I have a lot of faith in Sledgehammer of late, so it reaffirmed that this could be a great game. I'm excited to see how it turns out and I'll be holding on to my Ps4 preorder. Eager to hear what folks here and the duders think of it, definitely pumped for the return to WWII.

ImGrifter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally not a fan of the WW2 setting, but overall I think it will be a great addition to the CoD franchise. Maps feel nice, the TTK gives you enough time to turn on people and not die in just two shots.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I played a few matches last night. Still feels a lot like Call of Duty obviously. Went with Airborne as my Division, was doing kind of poorly with the submachine gun that Division starts with but then spent my first unlock token on the M1 Garand and was doing much better. Played a mix of modes but have not played the new War mode yet.

It seems a bit weird that the new Headquarters stuff doesn't seem to be in the beta since that seems to be the big new thing.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm liking it! After three years of advanced movement (even though I am a defender of it) it's nice to play a Call of Duty and not have to worry about people jumping two screens above you every game.
I'll preface this saying that I'm mainly a TDM player.

The guns feel good for the most part although I think there is some balancing to be done for sure. The PPSH and STG seem a little too strong, along with the Type 100 and Grease Gun, albeit to a lesser degree.

I'm not sure I'm completely sold on the divisions system as a replacement for the pick 10 create-a-class but with how limited the scope of the beta is, it's hard to say either way right now. There's stuff I like and stuff I don't.

Speaking of being a beta, they really need to sort out the post-game load times. Coming off of Infinite Warfare's absurdly fast load times it's really hard to sit through. I've read that they're working to fix a bug that is causing the post-game scoreboard staying up too long but I think my main issue is how much you have to wait through.

The game ends, it shows the play of the game, scoreboard shows up, game loads back to lobby to show another scoreboard, then it moves to the winners circle, then it finally gets to the after action report so you can see what you unlocked and how you did.
Just remove that second scoreboard altogether and go from the game ending scoreboard to loading into the winners circle. The whole process, bug or not, is too long right now.

While we're on the topic of lobbies, they need to make it so you can see who's in your lobby in a few places. When a friend joins me there's no way to immediately see if they've joined me. I have to go over two or three tabs to the social menu, then another two tabs on that screen to see if anyone is partied up with me. Crazy. I'd also like to see a real lobby screen of who's in a game before it starts. Their menu of all the soldiers chilling before the match looks cool but it makes it harder to know if you're facing a big premade team, what their k/d or w/l is, etc.

Most of my problems are with the menus and back-end stuff. I'm really enjoying the gunplay and combat, spawns seem good in my experience (I'm not getting people spawning behind me and gunning me down as often as IW), the available scorestreaks could be better (recon plane and paratroopers seem weak), the beta maps are good in the case of Ardennes and Gibraltar but Pointe Du Hoc can be a little chaotic and can result in running circles around the map chasing the enemy team, I don't hate the map though.

Lastly, I think it's way too easy to hear the enemy team's callouts (eg: "He's in the bunker!") It's happened to me loads of times where I'm running through an area and I hear a German accent call out a soldier in the barn, for example. I think to myself, I'm in the barn, and I'm the allies faction right now so nobody on my team should be speaking German. I turn around and get an easy kill on someone that didn't even know I was there.
Maybe it's working as intended but I think it's a little too punishing and it's already leading to a lot of kills I wouldn't be getting if I wasn't listening.

That's all I can think of right now, kind of a brain dump but I'm a big Call of Duty fan so it's on my mind right now lol.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pezen

I got two questions for people that has been around for a while with CoD; How are the sight lines in the maps in the beta? I feel like CoD went from pretty dynamic maps with both long and short distances (and even some maps with a little more open spaces) to be pretty closed corridor like in later titles. Second, what is the speed of the action like? Looking at that summer stream by Ben and Jeff the game looked a lot faster than I recall older WW2 CoDs being.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By JJBSterling

@pezen: Depends on the map but the sight lines are usually pretty short to medium distance and they'll usually have one or two longer ones that you could hypothetically watch with a sniper or LMG. But if the three maps we have in the beta (and the one they showed some pro players compete on at Gamescom) they definitely lean closer to the map style of recent games by which I mean smaller, three lanes, tight engagements. The new gamemode, War, has a map that is played exclusively for that mode so it has some longer sight lines but there are still lots of paths SMG/AR users can take to flank and such.

Speed is pretty quick. TTK is fast and you'll definitely get melted if you're caught out of position. I saw people saying it played around the same speed as Black Ops 1 or 2 with the TTK of Advanced Warfare. Personally I don't remember exactly how fast those titles felt in comparison, it's just what I've read.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The spawns literally NEVER flip in domination. It's spawn killing: the game. It's horrible. It's also really hard to hold any particular area down, as almost any point on every map has about three entrances you can get flanked from. This doesn't feel at all like good map design, IMO.

I'll continue playing the beta and see what map they add next week, but so far I'm really disappointed. For what it's worth, my favorite COD games have been Black Ops 1, Black Ops 3, and Modern Warfare 2.