Capcom up for potential purchase.

• 83 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

It was announced today that Capcom shareholders have voted to end the company's takeover defense, leaving the company open to a potential purchase. Originally implemented back in 2008, the takeover defense consisted of several strategies that would help them ward off other enterprises attempting to buy the majority of Capcom's stock.

At the latest investor meeting, shareholders voted against renewing Capcom's takeover defense, meaning the company's stock is now susceptible to being purchased by another organization.

This doesn't necessarily mean the end of Capcom and all of its legendary IPs, but if an outside company acquires over 50% of Capcom's stock they will gain exclusive rights to many of their most popular franchises. Still, any potential buyers will have to cough up quite a bit of money in order to pick up the company. - Source

Lets be real now that this is on the table someone will cough up the change to buy them. They have a huge lineage and a ton of IP's Id be willing to bet Microsoft lays down the cash to purchase the stock.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

EA will buy them, slowly drive the entire thing into the ground.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Sony should buy them. SONY, by gamers FOR gamers, the Live, Learn and Love way. Capcom take note how it's done. AWWWWW YEAHHHHHHH

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EXTomar

I was thinking the exact same thing.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Seth Killian will buy them and rule that shit.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By EuanDewar

harmonix should buy them

colin burpo's dad should buy them

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they won't be bought is my guess

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail

If a console maker buys them, that limits the number of platforms Capcom games will be released on. I wouldn't mind Nintendo buying them, though, since they seem to be good at making game companies get their act together and make good games (e.g. even Silicon Knights).

Wait, I don't really care that much about anything Capcom makes I think...

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sony buys Capcom.

Megaman exclusive to PS4.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Come on Iron Galaxy

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

Giant Bomb should hire Capcom.

A world without Capcom, though... Then again they've been in such a weird state lately that it already feels like their glory days are behind them. Deep Down is still currently the only thing they've publicly got on their plate at that, with most of their other stuff stagnating or having been left on the side of the road to rot into obscurity... Maybe it wouldn't be the worst outcome if all dem IPs fell into the hands of other companies anywhoo.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

damm, this could be big, especially if one of the big 1st parties decides to buy them.

would be wild if say sony/microsoft buys them and something like street fighter becomes exclusive to one of the systems.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Suqeenix should buy them , or I dunno meh?

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

You can fuck all the rest as long as Street Fighter lives on. But really, Capcom makes a lot of my favorite games so I hope this all works out.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony buys Capcom.

Megaman exclusive to PS4.

Why bother? Mightas well try and cozy up to Inafune and have him make another game for PS consoles.... I liked Megaman 9 ..... >.> <.< >.>

Though I guess if Sony did buy Capcom they could give Inafune the rights to Megaman so I can finally have my damn Legends 3...

Also, where the hell is Breath of Fire?

DeepSpace9MM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By DeepSpace9MM

WB Interactive needs to buy them thus making Mortal Kombat Vs. Street Fighter a reality. Lets go!

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope they get bought by someone that do good with them I guess, like Iron Galaxy!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would LIKE sony to buy them up but lets be real here Sony doesn't have the liquid assets to throw around right now to purchase another company when they themselves are barely keeping afloat.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@snail:

I'm not sure Nintendo would buy them. They're waiting for their opportunity to buy Sega, if only to tell the company, "We won."

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Some Chinese company will buy up all the stock. Megaman goes f2p mobile

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really hope above all else that no hardware manufacturer buys them. I mean can you imagine the situation where you're a fighting game fan, and you happened to have already chosen the wrong next-gen console before all this? I can.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By GunstarRed

@video_game_king said:

@snail:

I'm not sure Nintendo would buy them. They're waiting for their opportunity to buy Sega, if only to tell the company, "We won."

I think they won when they started dressing up Sonic as Link. Buying them would just be mean.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vuud

It would be cool if Nintendo bought them and we had SF dudes in Smash Bros.

Neonie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An unrealistic dream of mine is that a company like CH or IF bought them and forced them make Japanese games.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

They'd probably fetch a better price if they had titles out there. Assuming they actually are for sale (hardly conclusive that they are).

But man this is a game changer, the thought of a potentially irrelevant Capcom is a frightening one to me. Whatever happens, I hope their IP avoids the fate of Sega's.

Honestly I think the most likely buyer might be Microsoft. If for not other reason than to hurt Sony.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@slag said:

They'd probably fetch a better price if they had titles out there. Assuming they actually are for sale (hardly conclusive that they are).

But man this is a game changer, the thought of a potentially irrelevant Capcom is a frightening one to me. Whatever happens, I hope their IP avoids the fate of Sega's.

Honestly I think the most likely buyer might be Microsoft. If for not other reason than to hurt Sony.

They aren't up for sale. They've just chosen to not protect the stock from outside interests, which could mean that they feel comfortable that a takeover won't occur any time soon.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King
meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By meteora3255

@vuud: Mega Man is already in Smash Bros without requiring Nintendo owning them. I bet they could have made something work if they really wanted to.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@vuud: Mega Man is already in Smash Bros without requiring Nintendo owning them. I bet they could have made something work if they really wanted to.

Only because Capcom is a third party. If Capcom were to be bought by Sony or Microsoft, in all likelihood, such deals with Nintendo would probably not happen.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EXTomar

As pointed out, Capcom isn't up for sale as much as the board decided they won't automatically move to protect themselves from someone buying a majority stake.

Entertaining the idea that someone like Nintendo should buy them: I'm not sure it is a good idea at all that any of the vendors should buy Capcom. This situation kind of reminds me of the Rareware thread. Capcom, like Rareware, had a few big hits and some interesting games but nothing that technically worth spending a lot of money on. The legacy of Microsoft buying Rareware is that they basically ended up with their old IP and the shell of the old company. How would that benefit any of them?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft could buy them and then there would be no Capcom games ever in Japan; makes sense.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@hailinel: I understand that but my point was that Nintendo owning Capcom isn't a prerequisite for their characters to appear in Smash Bros.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

If someone buys them, it will a company with a ridiculous amount of capitol, cause this will be a billion+ dollar deal.

It would be Tencent.

What this really means is that the investors have zero confidence in the current leadership. Hopefully this will lead to a change at the top of Capcom.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

#35  Edited By Slag

@hailinel said:

@slag said:

They aren't up for sale. They've just chosen to not protect the stock from outside interests, which could mean that they feel comfortable that a takeover won't occur any time soon.

I don't think we know if they are or aren't. If they retain a commercial banker then we know they are shopping themselves.

as you said all they did was drop poison pill protection. But they could have done for a lot of reasons, one of those reasons though could be they are at least open to the idea of listening to offers. Another could be maybe they want to go private and an insider may be accumulating shares. Or as you said they could be confident that they won't have to fend off a takeover. I think it's much more likely it's some sort of version of the first ,otherwise why not just extend the takeover protection?

Bottom line, you're right we don't know yet.

ryanmgraef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is why Ono San bounced right?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@snail:

Actually, I was wondering if Sega could buy Capcom. Then we could have a Mega Man/Resident Evil/Hatsune Miku/Sonic the Hedgehog/Persona/Etrian Odyssey crossover game, for shits and giggles. Or just some kind of massive crossover game, really. Considering all the "VS Capcom" fighting games, maybe we could get some of those in there too.

But, anyway, Capcom has definitely seen better days. I hope if somebody buys them, they can turn themselves around and start making a lot of good games again.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I was wondering if Sega could buy Capcom. Then we could have a Mega Man/Resident Evil/Hatsune Miku/Sonic the Hedgehog/Persona/Etrian Odyssey crossover game, for shits and giggles. Or just some kind of massive crossover game, really.

Project X Zone?

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By Seikenfreak

Unrealistic but Sony should buy them.. All PS4/Vita exclusives. Exclusives are what make either console actually interesting.. Not all this boring "eh get whatever controller you like" junk.

Sony should resurrect Japan's video game glory days.. Square Enix can start making awesome single player Final Fantasy and other RPGs again (FF14 is good alternative though)

New Power Stone, Mega Man, Resident Evil, Bionic Commando, Breath of Fire, Dragon's Dogma, Auto Modellista downloadable game, and a legit gorgeous console based Monster Hunter.

Also Sony should resurrect Genki Racing stuff. New Shutoku Battle and Kaido Battle! All Souls games Sony exclusive.. just because!

ALL PS4 EXCLUSIVE! And make them not suck! Mwuahahahaha Eastern vs Western game development.. Halo, Forza and Elder Scrolls vs Tokyo Jungle, Gran Turismo and Shenmue..

Then MAAAYBE Microsoft will get off their ass and dig out some decent games.

Then I can watch all the fanboys fight and argue to the death for my entertainment while I sit around and play every system because that's how I roll! Ahhhhahahahaha

Loading Video...

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of the big three is in any position to buy capcom, yes not even Nintendo or Microsoft. If anyone buy capcom, it would be company with ridiculous amount of money to burn like Tencent or those type of snowball of success company and if those companies end up buying capcom.........well......get ready for megaman social, SF social and RE social non stop.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

Actually, I was wondering if Sega could buy Capcom. Then we could have a Mega Man/Resident Evil/Hatsune Miku/Sonic the Hedgehog/Persona/Etrian Odyssey crossover game, for shits and giggles. Or just some kind of massive crossover game, really.

Project X Zone?

A crossover game that I've heard good things about, then. And includes Atlus properties, not Namco ones.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Facebook should buy them.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you try to drive something into the ground that is already trying to drive itself into the ground, does that mean it will actually improve?

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King

@believer258 said:

@video_game_king said:

@believer258 said:

Project X Zone?

A crossover game that I've heard good things about, then.

Project X Zone.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My two bets are Sony or Sega.

Blue Moon bet? Hori or Mad Catz or who ever is really big in the fighting game peripheral scene buys the Street Fighter stuff.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Divide and conquer.

You know I haven't heard that Microsoft buying them out rumor in over 2 years. Curious if that's still happening. But I wouldn't be surprise to hear Disney buying them but they closed a few studios and fried a large staff from Infinity. So that would be unlikely unless it's just to get the IP.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@video_game_king said:

@believer258 said:

Project X Zone?

A crossover game that I've heard good things about, then.

Project X Zone.

...with Atlus properties in it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers