Why would this have stealth sequences? (Rant-ish)

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm gonna be honest, this game isn't great. I'm continuing to play it because the story is pretty interesting (Voice acting helps) and there isn't anything else out right now.

This game goes from "Ehhh" to "This is some hot fucking garbage!" real quick whenever your forced into being stealthy. Dude... I'm an immortal vampire and I'm sneaking around like a little bitch? Ugh.

I just finished a section where I have sneak around a dude, which isn't the worst in theory, but this guy has some great hearing. This isn't helped by the fact there are dead leaves EVERYWHERE. The game tells you to throw knives at bells to distract him, which is useless when you find out the only way to beat this thing is by abusing a power that the game never suggests would work against this guy (Mist) Why can't I just whip this dude around a bit??

To make things even worse, stupid and pointless? literally seconds after completing the stealth section, you engage a boss fight with him. Your forced into sneaking around an enemy that you can TOTALLY fight toe to toe.

Why am I still playing this, I forgot...

Feels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Feels

I'm through what I can assume to be a good portion of the game. Was stealth a necessary addition? Not really, but not in one instance (including that boss) did I ever feel frustrated with it. As for people having troubles with it, I just don't know -- that's user error. The rat sequences? Perhaps not the most entertaining, but how anyone could fuck those up, I don't know. Pretty straightforward. As for the boss himself, I guess I'm somewhat torn. People complain but I don't see it, and this isn't me trying to defend what in truth I found to be another somewhat unnecessary level of the game, regardless of how visually interesting the level was.

Shortly after you gain your mist ability you're faced with one of the city's soldiers placing a landmine between the room you're in and the exit you need to get through. My first instinct? Try to mist through. Could I have jumped over? I dunno, I didn't try though I'm sure you could. But, having just learned a new ability only moments before I figured it was the most logical thing to do. And it totally worked. So yeah, the stealth boss took me all of 5 minutes to complete. Now I'm not claiming any feat of greatness here, but fuck, come on...after playing video games for a while you'd think more people would be able to catch on to the fact that a new obstacle is introduced AFTER you gain a new ability. What a shocker, I know...The game is hand-holdy enough as it is. I guess not enough for some.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I am having 0 problems with the stealth sections, super easy.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Dallas_Raines

"The entire team is aware that the game we made is a complete piece of shit, we wish it was fit to lick the boots of the original game."

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=776423&page=1

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Are they fun? Not really.

Is it the end of the world? Hardly.

I'd rather they not be in there as I enjoy the combat a lot, but whatever it's not a big deal. They are super easy and fairly quick. Internet hyperbole is reaching critical levels.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't had a problem with them so far. I mean, they aren't my favorite part of the game or anything, but they aren't even remotely frustrating. Plus, I mainly think they are there to illustrate how weak Dracula is at the start, which will make you feel more empowered later on(if I were to guess, I haven't come anywhere close to beating it yet).

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cmblasko

Stealth sections forced into non-stealth games is my biggest gaming pet peeve. I can't think of a single time sneaking around enemies in a game not titled Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell was fun.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm playing EDF. EDF!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The entire team is aware that the game we made is a complete piece of shit, we wish it was fit to lick the boots of the original game."

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=776423&page=1

Well, I wouldn't really take one employee's word as gospel here, assuming that he's actually an employee of Mercurysteam.

Tychoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tychoid

@cmblasko: Tenchu, Deus Ex, The Last of Us, Mark of the Ninja, etc. etc. etc.

Anyways, the stealth in LoS2 is not very good. Doesn't mean it couldn't be. There is definitely room for stealthiness in the fiction of the vampire world. They just need to make the mechanic more interesting. As it is in LoS2, its basically just an annoyance that slows you down getting from point A to point B. They could easily fit in something more interesting with the idea of Dracula not being at full strength. E.g. whittling down the enemy before they are aware of you "in a sinister and vampiric manner."

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Why does it have stealth sequences?

Maybe to distract from the fact that Gabriel is apparently running around in the land of the giants.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By csl316

To show that he's a shadow of his former self.

EDF!

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was getting a little frustrated at how many leaves there were, too, until I figured you could mist and/or dash across decently sized expanses of the little fuckers. At that point, the section wasn't too much to handle.

The game gives you the tools to make it past the trickier stealth sections relatively quickly; the player just needs to have the intuition to figure it out.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

Just got to the leaf maze. Holy shit is this bit badly designed. So fucking frustrating.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is a very good question. It's baffling what they have done.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think they are bad at all. It's better than just more combat.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I beat the "leaf" stealth boss today and that first stealth bit was pretty easy. I mist-walked over almost all of it.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tychoid said:

@cmblasko: Tenchu, Deus Ex, The Last of Us, Mark of the Ninja, etc. etc. etc.

I don't really like sneaking in those. In particular, Deus Ex is probably one of my favorite games yet I didn't have a lot of fun attempting to sneak. Maybe I should have made it more clear, but the main point I was getting at was games not built around stealth just shouldn't do it since they don't really gain anything positive from having non-stealth sections in them. At best they are acceptable portions of the game, at worst they generate player frustration, and they are ALWAYS seen as a deviation from the main portion of the game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

The 2nd to last stealth sequence sucked major ballsack.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, some of the developers agree with you. And apparently the development of this game was a god damn nightmare.

One of those situations where people are coming out of the woodwork to bash the studio.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

Apparently, some of the developers agree with you. And apparently the development of this game was a god damn nightmare.

One of those situations where people are coming out of the woodwork to bash the studio.

It's insane to hear the stories that are coming to light. It's one thing to have poor communication across a development team, but to reach the point where team members are finding out about features for the first time through press releases?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

It's insane to hear the stories that are coming to light. It's one thing to have poor communication across a development team, but to reach the point where team members are finding out about features for the first time through press releases?

I have it here ready to go, and I kind of wish I played it before reading all this stuff. People are enjoying it but this is probably gonna color my expectations a bit. With improved combat and a better frame rate, this had the potential to be a killer game with some tighter pacing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@hailinel said:

@csl316 said:

I have it here ready to go, and I kind of wish I played it before reading all this stuff. People are enjoying it but this is probably gonna color my expectations a bit. With improved combat and a better frame rate, this had the potential to be a killer game with some tighter pacing.

Yeah, it's really bizarre. Of course none of this drama was public before the game's release, but now it's out in the open, the game is known to have a range of issues (awkward stealth gameplay, absurd scaling in the level design, and so on). I can understand that some people will still enjoy the game regardless, and more power to them, but man, what has been seen cannot be unseen.