What platform is everyone playing this on?

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

Poll What platform is everyone playing this on? (186 votes)

PS4 13%
Xbox One 3%
PC 22%
Switch 60%

This seems like a perfect game for the Switch, but I'm hearing some iffyness regarding the D-pad/analog sticks, and for a game that seems to be about some pretty hard platforming, that doesn't sound ideal. So I just wanted to see what everyone here is playing it on.

• 
nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Haven't gotten it yet, but when I do it'll definitely be on Switch. After Sonic Mania, the thought of getting a platformer on Steam instead seems ludicrous.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

Just purchased my copy on the Switch today and I'm mainly playing it with the analog stick with no problems.

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer to play games on PC so I'm playing it there but my Switch is hooked into my computer monitor so it is basically the same experience. I've used the "dpad" on the Joy cons to play platformers before and honestly it feels fine.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

Playing on the Switch. There was a few jumps and dashes that I felt the analog stick went in a direction I didn't want to go, but otherwise I've been having a blast and the controls are snappy.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've finished it on the Switch. Really unhappy about the analog controls for dashes. The game should have an arrow or something to show where you're aiming, it asks you crazy precision and with the analog stick you don't have any feedback for the direction you're pressing whastoever. I would only recommend playing it on the Switch with a Pro Controller, on the d-pad.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Switch. I’ve had some issues with the sticks (meaning to press upper right, not straight up), but the portable nature is great for that type of game.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

PS4, since it's my main console. It's a big plus that it has the best d-pad too.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By peacebrother

@maajin said:

I've finished it on the Switch. Really unhappy about the analog controls for dashes. The game should have an arrow or something to show where you're aiming, it asks you crazy precision and with the analog stick you don't have any feedback for the direction you're pressing whastoever. I would only recommend playing it on the Switch with a Pro Controller, on the d-pad.

Interesting. I've been predominantly playing handheld mode and have had no issues with the "Dpad" on it, and I feared that I would. Maybe I just have a big thumb that makes the 4 buttons just feel like a regular Dpad. Haven't even touched the analog stick, because it seems like an insane way to play this game.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have access to every platform but got it on ps4 for the d-pad. (I don't bother with DS4 on PC) While I do miss not being able to play it in portable mode; I hate the joycon d-pad so.....yeah.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sessh: ehh I dunno I never liked how PlayStation doesn’t have a full circle for the d-pad it makes all diagonal movement awkward.

empo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play on Switch with a Hori Pokken DX pad, it has an awesome d-pad and nice big buttons. Actually switched to the Joy-con analog for a feather section in The Core though.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peacebrother: Yeah, many times I tried getting used to the "d-pad", but just couldn't. =(

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@humanity: Honestly, that's why I do like the PS4 d-pad so much. I always feel like round ones are way more imprecise than regular ones. There's lots of diagonal movement in Celeste, and I've never had a problem either.

x2krome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've been playing on the Switch. I haven't encountered any problems, and it's just a convenient way to play on the go.

FonJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on the switch. I'm glad I decided to buy the Xenoblade pro controller since people say the d-pad on the original can be problematic. I feel like I should see how bad it is? Also it wasn't terrible on the joy-cons either. Not the best, but not terrible.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m playing on Switch using the analog stick. It felt wrong to me at first not using the d-pad but I saw a tweet from the creator saying that the game was designed with an analog stick in mind.

Avatar image for nbaswisscheesed
NBASwissCheeseD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it on the Switch for portable reasons.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FrostyRyan

@sessh said:

@humanity: Honestly, that's why I do like the PS4 d-pad so much. I always feel like round ones are way more imprecise than regular ones. There's lots of diagonal movement in Celeste, and I've never had a problem either.

agreed. the 360's dpad is one of the worst ever

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a few months old now, but I wanted to bump it to see what people recommend (and just to see who else played it and wants to give their opinion on the topic). I think that'll be my next game to buy and I'm not sure which is most preferable, or if it even matters. I generally stay away from the Switch version if it's on another console for a few reasons, but I'm actually kind of interested in getting the Switch version above all with this one. I don't think the controller really matters too much to me. What I am curious about is this: how does it run on the Switch compared to the other systems, and does it sound good? While my sound system alleviates the issues of no surround support on Switch (no optical port from the sound system to console), I still prefer surround. Does Celeste make any use of surround sound that makes PS4 or the One version the more worthy one to get? I know it's a 2D platformer, but still. I'm actually a little surprised that there are only two threads available for this game.

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I just bought and started this today, and I’m just as surprised as you that there are only 2 threads for it, considering the game got “universal acclaim.”

From what I’ve seen, the game runs and sounds great on switch. But ive been playing with the pro controller and I’ve died a lot do to the d pad shooting me where I’m not intending to go. Most notably when I’m pushing hard right, it tends to shoot me upwards in a right diagonal. I actually tested this to see if I’m bad at pushing buttons or if it’s really the d pad, and the d pad is definitely doing that, which is frustrating.

But right now I’m playing in handheld and I’m not having any problems, for whatever that’s worth.

I’m having mixed feelings about this game. I admit it’s very good, but like God of War I don’t think it’s nearly as good as a lot of people seem to. And i still don’t understand why the Mario Maker-esque troll-like difficulty is “essential” to the experience. Especially since, like some Mario Maker levels, some of the difficulty feels like it comes from poor design. But I guess that with as many screens to play through as this game has, not every level can be a masterpiece. Anyway. That’s my hot take about an otherwise really good game.