I grew up in a world without video games.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

It sucked. I was 11 when I first played Pong in 1976. I didn't play the Atari 2600 until my parents bought it Christmas of 1978 at the young age of 13. I was 18 in 1983 and in the Navy when the video game crash came about. It didn't affect me. I was into other things. I got out of the Navy and my parents bought the family a Nintendo Entertainment System. I was 22 years old and it was 1987.  Fucking Ocarina of Time came out when I was 33. Yeah. Crazy.

No Caption Provided

It's been strange reading about people who have played video game since their first memories on this earth. But in someways, games are games. I envied the crowd that played Dungeons and Dragons in the late 70's. I guess I wasn't part of the smart group. I wasn't a jock either. I was stuck in the middle. But I learned a lot.

To play a game. It keeps me young. It reminds me of what is real. Games are real. You play them.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Claude

It sucked. I was 11 when I first played Pong in 1976. I didn't play the Atari 2600 until my parents bought it Christmas of 1978 at the young age of 13. I was 18 in 1983 and in the Navy when the video game crash came about. It didn't affect me. I was into other things. I got out of the Navy and my parents bought the family a Nintendo Entertainment System. I was 22 years old and it was 1987.  Fucking Ocarina of Time came out when I was 33. Yeah. Crazy.

No Caption Provided

It's been strange reading about people who have played video game since their first memories on this earth. But in someways, games are games. I envied the crowd that played Dungeons and Dragons in the late 70's. I guess I wasn't part of the smart group. I wasn't a jock either. I was stuck in the middle. But I learned a lot.

To play a game. It keeps me young. It reminds me of what is real. Games are real. You play them.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Vinny_Says

you don"t get too old to play video games, you play video games not to get old.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Vinny_Says said:

you don"t get too old to play video games, you play video games not to get old.

boom

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Contro

Videogames have played a role in my life since an early age, the nursery I went to in the early 80's had a youth club next door which had arcade and pinball machines unlocked, I would often spend my time watching the older kids playing hoping they'd let me play also. I finally got my chance with table-top Pac Man and loved it. I've been loving videogames ever since.

Pac Man <3

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

It's funny, because with me it's music. Keeping on top of music--at least somewhat--keeps me young. Game are the easiest thing in the world to keep up with for me, but there's so much awful modern music on the radio these days, and you have to really look to find the good stuff.

Good for us for finding ways to continue to feel youthful, though. :)

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#6  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Claude: I deleted that post because that's not entirely what I meant. "Escape" is too strong a word, because video games don't do that for me. Good books (hell, even mediocre ones), certainly. But video games are.... hmmm. More than a hobby, less than an obsession or an escape. They're a medium I like more than music or movies, and I see them as a sort of creative release of sorts. This is super late and I'm talking nonsense, so I'll probably jump back on here and talk more tomorrow. Do me a favor though and delete that quote out of your post. I was talking out of my ass.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Claude
@Sparky_Buzzsaw: Done and done. I've actually begged for a game. Like a kid in a candy store. Even as an adult, I constantly feel like I have to justify my video game experience to my wife and loved ones.

It's my fucking goddamn hobby. I don't fish, I don't hunt, I don't like working on cars. I do like to play video games. I like acting too, but that's for free except for gas in my car.
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Enigma777

Back in my day we played with mud and sticks and WE LIKED IT! Now kids are getting hopped up on virtual dirt in Minecraft. It's sickening. I bet they don't even have dirty fingernails or scraped knees anymore.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Claude
@Enigma777 said:

Back in my day we played with mud and sticks and WE LIKED IT! Now kids are getting hopped up on virtual dirt in Minecraft. It's sickening. I bet they don't even have dirty fingernails or scraped knees anymore.

Vitamin D is a good thing. But parents don't allow kids to be in the sun. The fuck. I learned how to fuck in a mud hole. It got big.
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@Claude: Aaah, I'd kill for some community theater here in town. Even if I'm too horribly out of shape to get back on the stage, I'd love to get involved again somehow. I miss acting.

Anyways, I thought about it, and probably the most apt term is just a serious hobby. Like you say, it's one I feel I have to justify now and again to my loved ones, which can be annoying since I don't judge them and their hobbies. Games are a big part of what I enjoy on a day-to-day basis. Wouldn't change it for the world, though I do wish sometimes I was a little less addicted. Heh.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

You grew up without video games? How? The closest I came to that was finding out that I lived more than 300 years before Earth figured out video games.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Just reading that someone played OoT at the age of 33 kind of blows my mind. Keep on truckin' Claude.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah Im not very good at sports and Im not smart enough to get into an Ivy League school.  I play games to distract myself from stress but I use music as a true escape.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Kazona

It's not so much someone's age that determines whether they like games or not, but their personality.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

This makes me wonder what my life had been like without them, I'd probably be into books, yuck!

I've known about videogames since I was about six, growing up I mostly played my old NES and Amiga's until finally upgrading to a Playstation, it's probably one of the reasons that I think Mario Bros.3 is better than World.

I can't imagine anyone not having fun in a breezy co-op game like the Kirby ones, you should give those another shot Claude.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Claude said:
Always finishing your thoughts with seemingly-deep-yet-meaningless lines.. Never change, Claude!
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Afroman269

I will keep playing games.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Bruce

My father grew up before color television; imagine that!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DonPixel

My left thumb bleed a couple of times playing my Super Nintendo, sight...good times good times

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seedofpower

Claude, at least you have them to entertain you now.

Also, how the fuck do you post in the Claude forums? I wanna start a topic relating to things Claude.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Azteck

Thread reminded me of this song for some reason

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JayDee

i don't like old people.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Claude
@Seedofpower said:

Claude, at least you have them to entertain you now.

Also, how the fuck do you post in the Claude forums? I wanna start a topic relating to things Claude.

When you post a blog, place a user name in the related too section at the bottom. (It will show up and you can click on that user if you spelled it right.) After you post your blog if you scroll up, you're given the option to post it on that user's forum.

No Caption Provided
And yes, video games do entertain me very much. Fans of video games entertain me too.
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Seedofpower

@Claude: Sweet! Also does your username have anything to do with a french artist?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Claude
@Seedofpower said:

@Claude: Sweet! Also does your username have anything to do with a french artist?

I was named after my grandfather. My name is Claude Ruff. We're not French. There is a photographer from France named Claude Ruff. I googled my name and found him.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen

grew up playing sonic and final fantasy. ain't stopping any time soon, son.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Seedofpower

@Claude: Oh there is a painting on my bathroom wall from Claude Monet. I'm assuming no relation now.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By mikemcn

@Seedofpower said:

Confused the heck out of me too lol

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Gabriel

I grew up in a world without tanks, maybe something will come along and rectify that....